Site Sponsors

Thread: A7RII Setting Question - HELP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7RII Setting Question - HELP

Is there any way to turn off turning off Focus Area in the Control Wheel? I love this camera but I am continuously frustrated with this. I have the down button set as Focus Setting so that a single press will allow you to move the focus box around the screen but if my finger slips a little and turns the wheel I am out of this function (moving the focus square and now into Focus Area and setting the size/shape of the focus area. With all the customization there must be a way to turn off the wheel. I have it set it in the Custom Key Settings as "not set" and it doesn't do anything unless I am moving the focus box around then it turns itself on as Focus Area.

Hopefully I have made this clear (but afraid that I have not) but I need help

Jim

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7RII Setting Question - HELP

Jim can you just set the dial to not set. That way it does nothing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Jim can you just set the dial to not set. That way it does nothing.
    If that were only so. If your accidentally turn the wheel when focusing it activates Focus Area controls (if you use the down button to turn on focus setting)

I did find it is much less of a problem when you set the center button to standard than if you are moving focus points (and accidentally turn the wheel) it only makes the focus point larger or smaller which is much better but it doesn't seem to turn off completely. Maybe I have something else set incorrectly?

I do have the wheel set to "not set"

Jim
    Last edited by JMaher; 29th September 2015 at 20:52.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the wheel, center button, and down button all turned off. And my focus settings on C2.

Maybe you can try this and see if it does the trick. Sorry I don't have an AF lens with me now to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    If that were only so. If your accidentally turn the wheel when focusing it activates Focus Area controls (if you use the down button to turn on focus setting)

I did find it is much less of a problem when you set the center button to standard than if you are moving focus points (and accidentally turn the wheel) it only makes the focus point larger or smaller which is much better but it doesn't seem to turn off completely. Maybe I have something else set incorrectly?

I do have the wheel set to "not set"

Jim