Site Sponsors

Thread: A7RII - Phase detection points not visible with native lenses

Post Thanks / Like

A7RII - Phase detection points not visible with native lenses

Hi,

Here is my first question on GetDPI: I only see the green small phase detection points if I use the Metabones IV adapter with Canon EF lenses (PhaseDect. Area On/Off in the menu does not change this habit) but not with the native Sony lenses (1,8/55, 2,8/35, 4/24-70). The firmware of these lenses is (now) Version 2.

Is this normal or what am I missing? I called the Sony support (two different persons) but the have absolutly no clue. They donīt even know what the native lenses are and only can read the manual. This says, ask Sony which lenses support phase detection. So I did ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

JJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7RII - Phase detection points not visible with native lenses

Quote Originally Posted by TriElmar View Post
    Hi,

Here is my first question on GetDPI: I only see the green small phase detection points if I use the Metabones IV adapter with Canon EF lenses (PhaseDect. Area On/Off in the menu does not change this habit) but not with the native Sony lenses (1,8/55, 2,8/35, 4/24-70). The firmware of these lenses is (now) Version 2.

Is this normal or what am I missing? I called the Sony support (two different persons) but the have absolutly no clue. They donīt even know what the native lenses are and only can read the manual. This says, ask Sony which lenses support phase detection. So I did ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

JJ
    The A7RM2 automatically chooses between contrast or phase detection points when using FE lenses. In Single AF it always uses the first option. With DSLR lenses you can manually choose phase detection mode and therefore the camera sometimes focuses a little faster in Single AF mode with adapted lenses than with FE lenses.

In Continuous AF, the camera uses a mix of both. You know that is using phase detection when the little green squares appear on the EVF.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post