Site Sponsors

Thread: A7Rll Sensor Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

A7Rll Sensor Cleaning

What is effective for wet cleaning or to remove stubborn spots? I'm sure many would appreciate input. I'm a little concerned about the fact that the sensor does actually move but I can't imagine that it isn't designed for surface cleaning by contact.

Victor

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7Rll Sensor Cleaning

Eclipse and sensor swabs type 3 by photographic solutions works for me on all of the A7 series. I'd also use visible dust 1x swabs as an alternative.

no need to worry about the ibis just so long as you don't try scrubbing the sensor cover glass as if scrubbing the floor ...
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 2nd October 2015 at 13:45. Reason: i hate apple changing negatives into positives!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one is made specifically for Sony:

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    This one is made specifically for Sony:

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick
    Is it?

Product Advisory: Sony’s proprietary coating technology on its mirrorless cameras might cause the Sensor Gel Stick to leave some residue on the surface of the sensor filter, which will require thorough wet cleaning. The residue can be removed with a wet cleaning solution, but might take significant effort to clean it. Therefore, we recommend that you do NOT use the Sensor Gel Stick on Sony mirrorless cameras listed below. The manufacturer of the Sensor Gel Stick is working on a different solution to clean Sony sensors, so we are planning to start offering a Sony-specific version of the Sensor Gel Stick soon.

Here is the list of Sony camera models that are affected: Sony A7R, Sony A7, Sony A5000, Sony A6000, Sony NEX-7, Sony NEX-6, Sony NEX-5 (all models), Sony NEX-3 (all models). We have not heard of any other reports regarding other brand cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    That's a different link and web page for a different product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My mistake. I linked to the wrong page. The Sony specific link is the correct one.

https://photographylife.com/product/...stick-for-sony

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    My mistake. I linked to the wrong page. The Sony specific link is the correct one.

https://photographylife.com/product/...stick-for-sony
    Do you use it personally ? And what are your experiences with it ? I read all the comments and reviews and found that many were sounding like marketing hype : too good to be true ? Also found and read about the Sony special stick, but what succeeded makes me a little suspicious.

Post Thanks / Like

In case it is of any help, I have also had confirmation from Dust Aid that their Dust Aid Platinum product is safe for use on Sony sensors. I have used it for years with the Canon and can be a good step between the Rocket Blower and full wet clean.

As an aside, I converted from a regular blower to this filtered one a few years ago - a marked decrease in the crap that gets bedded into the glass surface. I found it especially effective when you have to clean it in the field. Marked difference between it and my old one in such environments.

http://www.kohglobal.com/JetAir.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Do you use it personally ? And what are your experiences with it ? I read all the comments and reviews and found that many were sounding like marketing hype : too good to be true ? Also found and read about the Sony special stick, but what succeeded makes me a little suspicious.
    I used it on the A7r and A7II. Very easy to use and seemed to pick up all the visible dust. I suspect wet cleaning might be necessary if there was something difficult to remove.

Jim
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to wet clean mine after this road trip. I usually use eclipse and sensor swaps. I use canned air but I don't recommend it to novices that have not done this often. I have done tons of wet cleanings, I do it a lot on workshops and clean everyone's sensors if folks are a little gun shy on doing it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, do you have a video showing proper sensor wet cleaning?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I use the avoidance process..... I avoid changing my lenses as much as possible while out and about

I use a filtered blower and artic brush if necessary. My wet cleaning (twice in all these years) I sent to Sony out and back in a week for free with their wall to wall extended warranties. This pro service plan gives free cleanings as part of its service but I have not used this service yet as its done at their third party repair service and their track record over the years is a concern to me. Maybe I should give wet cleaning a try next time myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I've yet to ever have a sensor that didn't need some attention after time..... and I'm also fairly careful. I'm going to try the stick.... talk about making money!!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Guy, I use the avoidance process..... I avoid changing my lenses as much as possible while out and about

I use a filtered blower and artic brush if necessary. My wet cleaning (twice in all these years) I sent to Sony out and back in a week for free with their wall to wall extended warranties. This pro service plan gives free cleanings as part of its service but I have not used this service yet as its done at their third party repair service and their track record over the years is a concern to me. Maybe I should give wet cleaning a try next time myself.
    Yea I change lenses a lot. This trip to Iowa i must have changed lenses at least 50 times. Mostly the 85 and 200. I used the 15mm for a couple shots and the Batis 25 hardly at all but I did get my killer shot with the 35mm 1.4. Ill post it in the fun with Sony. I mean killer. LOL

First Im going to wet clean. The trick is a light amount of Eclipse and try do go in one direction only. I blow out the box first that wet clean and blow again. I don't have a video
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know, I've never quite understood the abject terror/paranoia that some people have about cleaning a sensor ... It's an admittedly small pane of glass covering the actual sensor and all it takes is the same level of care as you'd use washing a baby's head/behind ...

There are many many videos on the internet that show how to do it. Get yourself a rocket blower (and btw keep it clean), blow any dust particles off the sensor as the first stage - with the camera off and preferably with the lens mount pointing down so that gravity can assist. Most times that's all that is needed beyond the built in sensor cleaning mode.

If you need a wet clean then put a couple of drops of eclipse fluid on a sensor swab and as Guy mentioned, gently swipe across the sensor from left to right (or vice versa). If necessary flip the sensor swab and repeat the process in the other direction in a single swipe. Don't over do the amount of eclipse fluid. You may see it leave behind a very fine film after each swipe but that'll instantly evaporate off. Normally that's it ... If not, repeat with a fresh sensor swab.

I've been doing this for many many years with every camera system I've owned from the Nikon D1-D810 (the D3x was an uber dust magnet), through Leicas, medium format backs, Fujis, Sonys, crop frames, full frames, pretty much anything with a removable lens or body. Just make sure that you use the correct sized swab for the sensor. Heck, in an emergency I've even used a credit card/hotel room key card and a Zeiss eye glasses wet wipe ... (No, please don't take that as a recommendation - it was an emergency).

The good news is that with today's cameras with dust removal tech built in its not often needed to do anything beyond a puff of air from a rocket blower. I typically only have to wet clean if there are things like moisture artifacts and sticky dust spots.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the eyelead Sony specific stick on the A7 and A7s and haven't needed to use it yet on the A7rII. Had bad experience with the Dust aid Platinum on the Leica M9 and won't use it again. Have used the standard Eyelead on my Leica's for years with no problems and the occasional wet clean.
    For me prevention is always best:-
    1. Use a filtered blower
    2. Keep lens caps clean
    3. Keep backs of lens clean
    4. Try to always change lens with body facing down
    5. Try not to change lens outside in windy dust environments (obviously not always possible)

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Sony specific gel stick and it has worked flawlessly on my Nikon D600, Leica T and Olympus E-M1.
    That being said it left a residue on my Sony A6000 and I had to resort to a wet cleaning with sensor swabs and eclipse fluid. It took four tries and two swabs but now the sensor is as clean as the others.
    YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

6. Always turn off the camera before changing lenses. The sensor is slightly charged when on and can attract dust. (Also you can kill a lens/body if the lens contacts cross on the body, particularly an image stabilized one - I've seen it kill a big Nikon VR prime before)

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, I guess it's all the horror stories we see on the net when they wet cleaned or used the wrong sticky tool that stops many from doing it. I have never wet cleaned myself as my eyes are not great and my hands are not too steady anymore. I guess if I had to I could do it but I can just call Sony, get a label, and ship it out and have it tuned and cleaned in 3-5 days for free. Seems like a no brainer for me.... I have plenty of backup gear to use while it's away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny this came up . So I'm processing my take from my trip close to 800 raws just finished it. The first night no issue with dust. i was clean going in. Midday images the next day i see 2 sensor spots that need a wet clean. Next day its up to four. And finally the last 2 hours I see 6. Weird how it just built up like that. Now I did change lenses a lot and in the field late in the day and night , early morning its kind of wet so anything flies in and being on a Wind Farm you guessed it its bloody windy. LOL

Honestly you just can't avoid it sometimes and than other trips or shoots you can go on forever without a wet clean. Like Graham said its actually pretty easy. Need to get that mindset its the sensor out of your head its really the cover glass. I think that sensor thought scares the crap out of folks. Now Graham and I come in from MF where its a BIG BIG surface just floating in the wind so I guess we are a little immune to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Graham, I guess it's all the horror stories we see on the net when they wet cleaned or used the wrong sticky tool that stops many from doing it. I have never wet cleaned myself as my eyes are not great and my hands are not too steady anymore. I guess if I had to I could do it but I can just call Sony, get a label, and ship it out and have it tuned and cleaned in 3-5 days for free. Seems like a no brainer for me.... I have plenty of backup gear to use while it's away.
    Jim, you make a good point as to why doing it yourself isn't for everyone.

I admit that I'm a pragmatist in these matters especially after having lost my fear through cleaning $35k digital back sensors but I'll readily admit to still preferring to let my dealer deep clean my MFDB sensor on equipment tech days, especially if it needs the real deep clean (MFDB clean kits come with two cleaning sets - a detergent cleaner and a normal eclipse like cleaner - the eclipse like simple cleans I do myself but dealing with the blue cleaner residues I'll readily leave to the dealer tech, especially since I've never needed it!)

Post Thanks / Like

Eclipse and sensor swabs type 3 by photographic solutions works for me on all of the A7 series. I'd also use visible dust 1x swabs as an alternative.

no need to worry about the ibis just so long as you don't try scrubbing the sensor cover glass as if scrubbing the floor ...
    Was wondering if you have used Eclipse on the sensor of the A7RII? I have read from other sources that this is not recommended due to a special coating on the sensor cover glass.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The current eclipse fluids work fine with ITO sensor coatings and have for a while. If you're paranoid, ping them but they claim that it is ok on all current sensors, including Sony.

if your eclipse fluid is a few years old then please ditch it and replace it with ITO friendly fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I've never quite understood the abject terror/paranoia that some people have about cleaning a sensor ... It's an admittedly small pane of glass covering the actual sensor and all it takes is the same level of care as you'd use washing a baby's head/behind ...

There are many many videos on the internet that show how to do it. Get yourself a rocket blower (and btw keep it clean), blow any dust particles off the sensor as the first stage - with the camera off and preferably with the lens mount pointing down so that gravity can assist. Most times that's all that is needed beyond the built in sensor cleaning mode.

If you need a wet clean then put a couple of drops of eclipse fluid on a sensor swab and as Guy mentioned, gently swipe across the sensor from left to right (or vice versa). If necessary flip the sensor swab and repeat the process in the other direction in a single swipe. Don't over do the amount of eclipse fluid. You may see it leave behind a very fine film after each swipe but that'll instantly evaporate off. Normally that's it ... If not, repeat with a fresh sensor swab.

I've been doing this for many many years with every camera system I've owned from the Nikon D1-D810 (the D3x was an uber dust magnet), through Leicas, medium format backs, Fujis, Sonys, crop frames, full frames, pretty much anything with a removable lens or body. Just make sure that you use the correct sized swab for the sensor. Heck, in an emergency I've even used a credit card/hotel room key card and a Zeiss eye glasses wet wipe ... (No, please don't take that as a recommendation - it was an emergency).

The good news is that with today's cameras with dust removal tech built in its not often needed to do anything beyond a puff of air from a rocket blower. I typically only have to wet clean if there are things like moisture artifacts and sticky dust spots.
    I assume the question being asked is specific to the A7R2 as the sensor will move when you clean it, or is it locked in position when the camera is powered off?
    If it's able to float then I'd be concerned about wet cleaning it or making contact with it at all for fear of damaging the IBIS system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I assume the question being asked is specific to the A7R2 as the sensor will move when you clean it, or is it locked in position when the camera is powered off?
    If it's able to float then I'd be concerned about wet cleaning it or making contact with it at all for fear of damaging the IBIS system.
    If you don't feel comfortable, send it of to get cleaned professionally by one of the service companies or even IR filter conversion folks who also offer cleaning services.

Just apply common sense to cleaning any sensor cover glass but be aware that pretty much every camera comes with sensor shake mechanisms to shed dust and now increasingly with image stabilization. They all use magnets and a floating assembly. The sky hasn't fallen since they've been introduced ...