The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portable flash - Sony HVL-F20M or Metz 26-Af1

Eddie3dfx

I'm looking for a portable flash for shooting.
I have strobes if I need professional indoor/interior shots, but I'm really looking for a very small casual flash that I can take for street shooting.

Unfortunately there are not that many smaller portable flashes.. Nissin I40 is nice, but it's still a bit large.

I haven't seen many peopl use the metz, but it does look very portable and has an LED light for video
Sony 20 seems to have a good bounce flash

Any ideas or recommendations on other flashes??

V

Vivek

Is this for NEX or FF? The Sony flash (not very useful) fits the NEX line well and looks ridiculous (besides being useless) on the A7 cams.

I'm looking for a portable flash for shooting.
I have strobes if I need professional indoor/interior shots, but I'm really looking for a very small casual flash that I can take for street shooting.

Unfortunately there are not that many smaller portable flashes.. Nissin I40 is nice, but it's still a bit large.

I haven't seen many peopl use the metz, but it does look very portable and has an LED light for video
Sony 20 seems to have a good bounce flash

Any ideas or recommendations on other flashes??
alternatives are 2 x AA flashes like Meike MK320 for $80

I, myself, use Sony HVL-F20M flash for casual snaps with A7R2 - it works very well for its purposes (I also have HVL-F60M, but it is too big to take it around very often for casual use).

Eddie3dfx

I picked up the Sony HVL-F20M from ebay and it's really a nice little unit.
It takes up very little space and is excellent as an indoor bounce flash... it's a simple flash.. when faced down or flat, it' off.. when up, it's on.
The direct flash is a little harsh, but I'm not a huge fan of direct.
Outdoors, I almost always prefer not using flash and I haven't fully tested it in outdoor party setting yet.
It uses 2 AAA batteries and can be thrown a coat pocket.. weighs nothing
If I need anything bigger, I'll use my strobes or pickup a cheaper chinese yonguo