Site Sponsors
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx1r2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx1r2

Yet the Q and particularly any of the Sigma Merrills or Quattros look waaaayyyy better.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Yeah, it scared me at first until I read further. It was especially alarming to see the RX1r seem to do much better in the corners. But that went away when changing to comparable resolution.

Does this tell us anything we didn't already know about these types of cameras?
    Yes, this tells us several things.

1. If you're looking for a tool for fine art photography or other close range flat field photography, the RX1 isn't it. Of course, the lens designers could have corrected for this, but any such corrections would have probably had negative effects on other qualities of the RX1s' sonar lens that are more important to us.

2. DP Review should have a warning on its studio shot comparison tool that says don't compare the results of the studio comparison test done with wide angle lenses, such as a 35 mm lens, with the test images shot on cameras that used longer focal length lenses, like the 55 mm lens on the A7 series cameras or the 85 mm lens used on the D810. Because, of course, since they fill the test scene with the image, the wider focal length lens is much closer to the test scene target and, therefore, the difference between the distance of the sensor from the center vs. the edges of the target are relatively greater on the wider lenses.

I could probably think of a few more things.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    DPR have got their hands on a production model and performed their usual resolution test. The results are looking terrible...
    This scared me too! 'Terrible' is the right word for corner softness/smearing on the paint tubes – worse than anything I clicked on for comparison. It doesn't seem to improve over the RX1R.

What could have gone wrong? Does Jeff's point #2 above, that a wide angle was bound to do this at a closer distance, explain what happened? If so, Leica Q should have done worse with 28mm, and new sensor should at least improve upon RX1R? When DPR saw these results they should have re-tested and probably should have asked for another sample. Did they perhaps get a decentered copy of the lens?

I was on a list for one, as a pocketable companion to A7rII that I use for landscapes. But now I'm thinking wait-and-see.

Kirk
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 19th November 2015 at 06:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    This scared me too! 'Terrible' is the right word for corner softness/smearing on the paint tubes – worse than anything I clicked on for comparison. It doesn't seem to improve on the RX1R.

What could have gone wrong? Does Jeff's point #2 above, that a wide angle was bound to do this, explain what happened? If so, Leica Q should have done worse, with 28mm, and new sensor should at least improve upon RX1R? Surely when they saw results like this they must have re-tested carefully. Did they perhaps get a decentered copy of the lens?

I was on a list for one, as a pocketable companion to A7rII that I use for landscapes. But now I'm thinking wait-and-see.

Kirk
    Really, I am not in the least bit "scared" anymore. Shooting a wide angle lens on a flat field close up will alway yield the same results. They had to get about four feet from the subject center, and at that distance the edges of the frame are significantly farther from the sensor than the center. The edges aren't "soft", they are just out of focus. Choose a focus spot at the edge and the results will be different.

The Leica has lens corrections baked into the RAW file. The Sony does not.

The DPR testers commented that "real world" tests confirm the RX1rII is sharp edge to edge (shooting at normal distances). More samples are promised to be published soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post

Kirk
    If you want to get comfortable with your decision to get this camera for landscapes, look at the RX1(R) image thread on Fred Miranda. Ronny Olson's Iceland images are among the many spectacular images in the thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I noticed how the 55/1.8 does on the A7R II (dprevs comparison).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is worth taking a look here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...de-your-wallet

If there is a need for LPF at all then it means that the lens is sharper than what the sensor requires, no?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember some of this same rhetoric when the original Rx1 was released, and the test charts show this and show that, soft here, fuzzy there. I remember a lot of Fuji folks claiming the Rx1 wasn't as good as the Fuji offerings, ect. I read it all, and even tried some other gear to see for myself, needless to say, I got rid of my Fuji gear rather quickly when I compared them on the big monitor, as for my eyes, the Rx1 killed the Xtrans APS-C images in a rout.

The Rx1r MII might not live up to the hype, I don't know yet, until I get the files on my screen. But when you pair a world class sensor with a world class lens, I have to think it will be incredible, but time shall tell. Don't sweat the test charts folks, they only tell part of the story, some of us will bring you real world images, using the camera as it should be used.

I have said this repeatedly, the Rx1 needs to be shot in full manual mode, you must have full control, that's where the magic files happen. If you shoot this in automatic, yeah, some of the other camera makers files are not far from it.

The color, the pop, the richness, comes from large apertures and that Zeiss Sonnar.

World class IQ in a tiny footprint that one can hold in the palm of their hand. A camera that is easy to take with you everywhere you go and not give up a thing in IQ to any other full frame offering out there...
    the HepKitty
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    A camera that is easy to take with you everywhere you go and not give up a thing in IQ to any other full frame offering out there...
    We early buyers hope.
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.s1 View Post
    We early buyers hope.

You can take it to the bank and book it!

the Mark II will take the Rx1 to another level, which that in and of itself is outstanding.

You will still have to have a 'eye' for photography, you will still have to see a scene, you will till have to compose, to decide how much depth of field you need, but once
    you get those files on the monitor, you will see a look, a richness, a depth, even if the scene is simple. The original RX1 had me taking the simplest of images, just to see
    how they come out, and they came out with a special look in my eyes, others often accusing me of photoshop trickery or some other forms of sorcery..

I am not a photoshop person, I spend around 3-5 minutes in post, in fact I could use some photoshop lessons from some of you more experienced photographers then me.

I capture, I add some contrast, some brightness as I tend to underexpose on purpose, I resize and upload.

Sony Rx1, 35mm Zeiss f/2, ISO320, 1/200sec
    the HepKitty
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    You can take it to the bank and book it!

the Mark II will take the Rx1 to another level, which that in and of itself is outstanding.

Great image Lucille, thanks for sharing.

I've been debating getting a second A7RII as backup or the Rx1R2 (rather strange and long name, must admit) for an important trip next month to India where I will be shooting the Taj and other places. Since I will be traveling a lot I've decided to just go with the Sony instead of my Pentax or Canon gear.

I was on the fence a bit but finally opted for the Rx1R2, have booked it.

My reasoning is

1. It would be great to try a smaller package - I'm constantly on the quest for the best IQ in the smallest form.

2. The 35 lens sounds fantastic. I've shot a lot with the 35 2.8 on the A7R and it is the perfect FL for general purpose use. However, IMHO the current version is not the best and I am loathe to get the 1.4 as it is so much bigger.

3. No dust spotting, that is a benefit nobody seems to talk about but it is quite a time saver.

4. Even though it would make more sense to just get another A7RII for ease of use with multiple lenses, there will be times when I need to be more discreet or simply need a smaller package and the fast lens on this one would be very useful. If the sensor is as good as the bigger siblings (and I see no reason why not), then low light imaging would be great even without IBIS.

5. Imagine a small camera like this one with silent shutter enabled, review turned off - total stealth mode as long as you don't bring it up to your eye. With the huge resolution, you can crop and rotate to your heart's content. Candid photography will never be the same.

I know it sounds like a costly experiment, but I don't like rentals. For a two week trip you are better off either buying new/used and reselling if you don't want to keep it. From what I've seen of the first gen model this may well be a keeper.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep,

#3 is mostly a non issue if you are careful.

#5 could be disappointing if you have too high an expectation. The camera really is not an impediment.
    Last edited by Vivek; 20th November 2015 at 16:46.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Pradeep,

#3 is mostly a non issue if you are careful.

#5 could be disappointing if you have too high an expectation. The camera really is not an impediment.

Vivek, true, but sometimes even when you are careful those dust bunnies creep in and there are almost always a few to spot out. Minor annoyance perhaps but occasionally it can get to be a pain.

I am not a street photographer at all and hardly do 'candids' either. However, it is all about perception. When you are shooting people, the bigger the camera/lens, the more conscious people get and you don't get natural reactions that easily. I am bad at formal portraits, I prefer taking a picture of the person when they are not aware it is being taken, brings out their true personality much better. The silent shutter is great in this regard, even when the person is aware, they don't know the picture has been taken and sometimes they relax a bit more.

Almost everyone I've shown the silent shutter mode to (even pros), is blown away with the possibilities.

Finally, yes, the camera is never an impediment, circumstances are and most of all it is your own personality and abilities. I just am not the 'in your face' kind of photographer, find that hard to do with strangers in strange places

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you 100%- I am not good at taking a bulky camera and photographing people, especially strangers, but when I tried the Rx1R for a week, I took more 'spur of the moment' candid shots than I had taken in a long time. The small footprint of the camera makes it very non-intrusive. With i-Phone cameras everywhere, people do not notice, or are not intimidated by a small camera.
    That, and the rapid auto focus makes this camera perfect for what I am looking for.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys should try a Panasonic GM1 or 5. I am sure you would love it!

Tiny, quiet and cute.

This camera is really palm sized unlike the RX1.

Post Thanks / Like

Played with the Q yesterday at the Leica Store, Bangkok. The guy told me to make a reservation and get in the waiting line for this camera if I want one. They even jack-up the price a little here. In less than 5 minutes, the Q hung up on me that I had to take the battery out. It seems a good idea to take EVF and live view out of the typ 262 so it would not hang like the Q or 240 with a forever half baked firmware. I quietly walked away to a Sony Store nearby and been told that the preorder for the RX1M2 hasn't started yet and they expect to have first shipment in December.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    You guys should try a Panasonic GM1 or 5. I am sure you would love it!

Tiny, quiet and cute.

This camera is really palm sized unlike the RX1.
    Or a Ricoh GR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    Played with the Q yesterday at the Leica Store, Bangkok. The guy told me to make a reservation and get in the waiting line for this camera if I want one. They even jack-up the price a little here. In less than 5 minutes, the Q hung up on me that I had to take the battery out. It seems a good idea to take EVF and live view out of the typ 262 so it would not hang like the Q or 240 with a forever half baked firmware. I quietly walked away to a Sony Store nearby and been told that the preorder for the RX1M2 hasn't started yet and they expect to have first shipment in December.
    Interesting. The Q has been available for purchase in every shop here. Prices are the lowest I have seen anywhere as well.

The RX1R II is expected next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, my Rx1RII pre-order at B&H just had a change in status to: "In stock, order sent to warehouse" , It used to be "On Order". I placed my order in the afternoon on the 5th.

Would be swell if it got here before Thanksgiving (actually, might be torture since I'm cooking for 17 and wouldn't get to touch it...).

JT

Post Thanks / Like

I see that B&H has a UPS tracking number on my order.... Fingers crossed.

But wonder why there have been no early releases to the media.... Strange
    Stephen

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Huff has one

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Huff has one
    It means nothing. It is that "7 star" rating for the RX1 that put me off from going near one.

I hope there are no "reviews" from him on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

dpreview have a duff one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    FWIW, my Rx1RII pre-order at B&H just had a change in status to: "In stock, order sent to warehouse" , It used to be "On Order". I placed my order in the afternoon on the 5th.

Would be swell if it got here before Thanksgiving (actually, might be torture since I'm cooking for 17 and wouldn't get to touch it...).

JT
    Mine switched from "on order" to "new order processing". I ordered early on the 5th. I'm really hoping for the camera by Thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Where was the tracking number? On the order status page? I ordered very soon after it was available, but no tracking info yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where was the tracking number? On the order status page? I ordered very soon after it was available, but no tracking info yet.
    I ordered several other things with it - they all have tracking numbers as of this AM. But the Rx1rII says "In stock, order sent to warehouse". My guess is they are sticking to the 25 Nov ship date.

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why in the world would they ship day before thanksgiving. ....at least in the US? I have overnight shipping and won't be home on Thursday (thanksgiving)....surely UPS doesn't deliver on a holiday any way so hopefully my delivery would arrive on Friday the 27th... Eleanor
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Why in the world would they ship day before thanksgiving. ....at least in the US? I have overnight shipping and won't be home on Thursday (thanksgiving)....surely UPS doesn't deliver on a holiday any way so hopefully my delivery would arrive on Friday the 27th... Eleanor
    I totally agree. I don't understand it. I talked with B&H this morning, and my order will be in the first shipment. I, too, went with overnight shipment. They also said they have the cameras in stock, but will hold shipping until the 25th.

So why arbitrarily hold shipment for a couple of days? This delays receipt for two days and (far more importantly) misses a huge holiday. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m expecting my Rx1r2 camera tomorrow! My local dealer just called me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suntrip View Post
    I`m expecting my Rx1r2 camera tomorrow! My local dealer just called me.
    Know that there are many of us sharing your excitement, even if we haven't placed our orders yet!

Kind regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Lots more real world samples now on DPR, may with RAW download links:

http://www.dpreview.com/sample-galle...sample-gallery

Hide your wallet before looking. I'm talking to you, Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been looking at those. Thankfully they are better than the lab-samples, but it seems that the lens is struggling a bit with the increased resolution. Som CA is clearly visible and DPR has a camera with a soft left-hand side at the wider apertures. Oh well, I'm not cancelling my preorder yet. By the time we get delivery on these shores, members here will no doubt have posted their impressions. Looking forward to that.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well hidden. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I called B&H earlier today and asked if my RX1rII could be shipped today (overnight) and the person in customer service said "sure". However my order status has not changed in my online account....still says "processing" with no UPS track number. Wondering if B&H just won't ship until the official release date on Wednesday....??? eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

....but it seems that the lens is struggling a bit with the increased resolution.
    Are you able to tell whether it's struggling with the resolution as opposed to being slightly misfocused. A lot of early users of the RX1 thought their lenses were slightly soft when relying on autofocus, but when they tried manually focusing using magnified view found there was no problem. I'd bet the DPR testers use AF.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at those. Thankfully they are better than the lab-samples, but it seems that the lens is struggling a bit with the increased resolution. Som CA is clearly visible and DPR has a camera with a soft left-hand side at the wider apertures. Oh well, I'm not cancelling my preorder yet. By the time we get delivery on these shores, members here will no doubt have posted their impressions. Looking forward to that.
    There is no issue that I can see regarding any left side softness. If you are referring to the image of the leaf on cement, it's shot wide open and the camera is not 90 degrees with the ground. This is the expected result.

CA - I found one image, the one that has a small bridge over a creek. It's deliberately underexposed by 2.5 stops, and there is purple fringing where the shadowed branches are silhouetted against a bright sky. This will cause CA with any lens. However, even though this image is jpeg only, 30 seconds with Lightroom removed all traces of fringing.

I've processed most of RAW images. I am indeed seeing what everyone else saw with the RX1/r - the images just explode off the monitor! The DPR images aren't show stoppers or award winners, but they do show what the camera can do.

I'm sure we'll see lots more in the next few days.

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Well I called B&H earlier today and asked if my RX1rII could be shipped today (overnight) and the person in customer service said "sure". However my order status has not changed in my online account....still says "processing" with no UPS track number. Wondering if B&H just won't ship until the official release date on Wednesday....??? eleanor
    I suspect the B&H reps are as confused by the policy as we are.

Does your status show "new order processing"? Some are showing "sent to warehouse", which is the next step after "new order processing". These might be only orders that don't have overnight shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Extreme example of before/after, speaks of latitude and dynamic range:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Zony 35/2 lens' MTF is compared to that of the red dot 35/2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXt9BRe4Alk

(Tip: Skip to 4.31 if you are impatient.)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Rx1r2

On vehicle for delivery today. The spare battery. The rest of the order is in warehouse.... evidently waiting for release date.
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was hoping they would ship today. Good to hear and photos please. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just spoke with B&H again this morning...they confirmed they can't ship until Wednesday. Eleanor

I suspect the B&H reps are as confused by the policy as we are.

Does your status show "new order processing"? Some are showing "sent to warehouse", which is the next step after "new order processing". These might be only orders that don't have overnight shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have not been pre-ordering from B&H lately. Too many people and they wait till d-day. I go to the small brick and mortar places more now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=dandrewk;670423]There is no issue that I can see regarding any left side softness. If you are referring to the image of the leaf on cement, it's shot wide open and the camera is not 90 degrees with the ground. This is the expected result.

CA - I found one image, the one that has a small bridge over a creek. It's deliberately underexposed by 2.5 stops, and there is purple fringing where the shadowed branches are silhouetted against a bright sky. This will cause CA with any lens. However, even though this image is jpeg only, 30 seconds with Lightroom removed all traces of fringing.

I've processed most of RAW images. I am indeed seeing what everyone else saw with the RX1/r - the images just explode off the monitor! The DPR images aren't show stoppers or award winners, but they do show what the camera can do.

I'm sure we'll see lots more in the next few days.

As for left side softness: take a look at DSC00481. Shot at f2,8. Pin sharp in the center, falling off more and more to become rather blurry at the left edge. The right-hand side keeps sharpness visibly better to the edge.
    Regarding CA: Look at DSC00523, shot at f4,5. Windows (to the right) and flagpoles and black pylons to the left, it is really all over the place. Easy to see, and easy to remove, but it's there. And I can point out others.

However I think one should not read too much into this, after all we have a sample of just one, and as Jeff points out above, some slight focus error might influence the results.
    Impressive shadow-recovery btw!

Post Thanks / Like

As for left side softness: take a look at DSC00481. Shot at f2,8. Pin sharp in the center, falling off more and more to become rather blurry at the left edge. The right-hand side keeps sharpness visibly better to the edge.
    Regarding CA: Look at DSC00523, shot at f4,5. Windows (to the right) and flagpoles and black pylons to the left, it is really all over the place. Easy to see, and easy to remove, but it's there. And I can point out others.

However I think one should not read too much into this, after all we have a sample of just one, and as Jeff points out above, some slight focus error might influence the results.
    Impressive shadow-recovery btw!
    Keeping in mind that DSC00481 is shot at f2.8, I only see a tiny amount of softness on the extreme left hand side. Oddly, this doesn't seem to affect the foreground bridge. From playing with all of these files, I see the well known field curvature of a wide angle, fixed lens. I also see that Adobe's lens profile is not up to the task of fixing it. The shadow recovery image I posted above (DSC00583) initially looked like it was shot with a mild fish eye. The tree on the left was shaped like a left parenthesis, and I had to manually fix it in LR. I expect the profiles from DxO and C1 to do a much better job.

I looked at DSC00523 - I really don't see any, and believe me I tried. I went all the way to 3:1. Did you download the images? Part of this could be due to DPR's image viewer, which I have never liked. Particularly the loupe view mode, as it seems to introduce its own distortion. From reading the comments to the DPR gallery, it seems others are in agreement.

I totally agree, this is not even a mild tempest in a teacup. I predict, in another week, we will see thousands of images - along with detailed pixel peeking analysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keeping in mind that DSC00481 is shot at f2.8, I only see a tiny amount of softness on the extreme left hand side. Oddly, this doesn't seem to affect the foreground bridge. From playing with all of these files, I see the well known field curvature of a wide angle, fixed lens. I also see that Adobe's lens profile is not up to the task of fixing it. The shadow recovery image I posted above (DSC00583) initially looked like it was shot with a mild fish eye. The tree on the left was shaped like a left parenthesis, and I had to manually fix it in LR. I expect the profiles from DxO and C1 to do a much better job.

I looked at DSC00523 - I really don't see any, and believe me I tried. I went all the way to 3:1. Did you download the images? Part of this could be due to DPR's image viewer, which I have never liked. Particularly the loupe view mode, as it seems to introduce its own distortion. From reading the comments to the DPR gallery, it seems others are in agreement.

I totally agree, this is not even a mild tempest in a teacup. I predict, in another week, we will see thousands of images - along with detailed pixel peeking analysis.

CA in DSC00523: have a look at the JPeg (at 100%) where it hasn't been removed.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I was hoping they would ship today. Good to hear and photos please. LOL
    My local bricks and mortar store called me today to tell me that my RX1R II was due for delivery tomorrow afternoon at the store. It's on the Fedex truck apparently.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have not been pre-ordering from B&H lately. Too many people and they wait till d-day. I go to the small brick and mortar places more now.
    I prefer to order from my local bricks and mortar store too, especially if I have actually gone into the store and handled equipment before I have decided to buy it. It's only fair to buy from them in that situation.

However if I decide to buy something without any information from or handling of equipment at my local store, I like to support certain websites that provide a lot of free information that I find valuable. The best way to support those websites is by using their links to B&H, Amazon or Adorama.

I'm also hesitant to buy lenses at my local store, although I have bought plenty from them. The problem is that I have bought bad copies of lenses and my local store does not have a huge inventory. So if I get a lens and it's not a good copy, my local store may not have one on hand to make an exchange. That is never a problem with B&H.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeff,

I completely agree.

I don't tend to test lots of lenses but if I did then it's true that using someone like B&H would be the best way to do so. I always wondered how folks were able to return so many lens copies and maintain a good relationship with a local store. That would be difficult for me to do with folks who have to order in specially many of the lenses I've bought.

For the bodies it's a no brained for me because whenever I've had any issue with repairs or warranty they have always gone the extra mile for me. Perhaps recognition of the amount of gear and loyalty over the years. I'd rather order locally at my favorite dealer and wait for the items to come in for me. Small stuff though that they don't have in stock I'll buy online for the convenience though.

TBH they make their margins on trades and consignment much more than new gear. It works for both of us. The RX1RII should only cost me a net few $'00 by the time I've rationalized some of my other Sony gear towards it. They'll make their 30% on resale of my trades and a few % on the new item and I won't have to bother with the hassles of private sales that I have little time to handle.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kott View Post
    I prefer to order from my local bricks and mortar store too, especially if I have actually gone into the store and handled equipment before I have decided to buy it. It's only fair to buy from them in that situation.

However if I decide to buy something without any information from or handling of equipment at my local store, I like to support certain websites that provide a lot of free information that I find valuable. The best way to support those websites is by using their links to B&H, Amazon or Adorama.

I'm also hesitant to buy lenses at my local store, although I have bought plenty from them. The problem is that I have bought bad copies of lenses and my local store does not have a huge inventory. So if I get a lens and it's not a good copy, my local store may not have one on hand to make an exchange. That is never a problem with B&H.
    I used to support my local Brick & M store here but realized that the so called 'new' item was often the one that was shown to customers who were allowed to handle it. Even if they did not put in a card and try it out, it still becomes a 'demo' in my opinion, but was sold as new to me. Then one day I bought a lens which did not change its aperture at all, realized that the blades were stuck and the lens must have been sitting on the shelf for months if not years. Of course they changed it for me, but by then the damage was done.

I've ordered from B&H many times and have gone and bought stuff in person too, but found that a lot of their items are returned by others and a few times key pieces were missing. That is always going to be the issue with such a huge store and large inventory with buyers returning/exchanging stuff all the time.

I now support a dealer in PA that many here are familiar with. They have given me great service over the past 8 years and often get me items earlier than I could anywhere else - unless I am the first in line at a major store.

I agree completely that if I've gone to a local store to try something out, fairness demands I buy it from them, but these days who gets to 'try things out'? We are all too caught up in the mania of the latest and greatest and buy even before major reviews are out, based simply on anticipation! Hedonism is here to stay..........