Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx1r2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Rx1r2

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    We are all too caught up in the mania of the latest and greatest and buy even before major reviews are out, based simply on anticipation! Hedonism is here to stay..........
    While I do not give a hoot about the "major reviews", I will have to say, speak for yourself.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    While I do not give a hoot about the "major reviews", I will have to say, speak for yourself.
    I actually prefer the "minor reviews" from forum members here and on FM.

Although with respect to the RX1Rii, considering the proven sensor and proven lens, I don't need any reviews - I'd rather review it for myself.

And as far as waiting, I've been waiting for this camera for 18 months since I rented version 1 and used it on a trip. I would have bought a version 1, except for the hassle with the external EVF. When the first RX100 came out with the pop up EVF, my first thought was I hope they do this on the RX1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In my case, I do not give much creddence to T* or the presumed Zeiss lens. i wanted a compact cam with an EVF and articulating LCD. i am OK with a tilt only LCD. Would have preferred the RX1R2 with a 24mp sensor or even the A7S' sensor.

Yes, it has been a long wait.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for US-based beta testers who have a RX1R-II. PM me.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You got the camera I will do a review on it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Looking for US-based beta testers who have a RX1R-II. PM me.
    ? You have the camera, for sale? Drop me a line.

Can trade in a nice MM.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, I do not give much creddence to T* or the presumed Zeiss lens.
    This surprises me. Looking at the photos in the image thread here and on FM and having used an RX1 for 4 days myself, there is no question in my mind as to how good this lens is.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing negative about the lens at all. It is just that when I asked Zeiss what an "advanced aspheric" is, they had no idea!

(It is a Zeiss badged Sony lens and by all accounts a superb one!)

Post Thanks / Like

The manual is now online:

http://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1550/v1/en/print.pdf

A few folks on DPR picked one up this morning. The first reviews are quite positive. One guy said the AF is every bit as good as his A7rII, and the EVF looks great and is very responsive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kott View Post
    When the first RX100 came out with the pop up EVF, my first thought was I hope they do this on the RX1.
    I've been waiting for a pop up EVF since June 2006... here's a mock up I did back then

Name:  176173050_9342c75f19_o.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  43.8 KB

I love the pop up EVF on my RX100 m4, and expect the one on the RX1R2 to be irresistible

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

? You have the camera, for sale? Drop me a line.

Can trade in a nice MM.
    Heh, no longer selling...just got tracking number for my copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have been on the fence and decided to place order with B&H on Sunday and today received email that it shipped. Loved my RX-1 and this is nice way to try out the 42MP sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dammit! Seems that someone hijacked my Fedex truck today! Dealer called to say that it won't be here until Friday. Oh no, the wait ... (Ok, not really )

All I can say about the 35/2 in the original is that I've never wanted for better quality, just maybe a 1.4 equivalent to the Summilux (the only Leica lens that I miss)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You got the camera I will do a review on it.
    Guy, if mine arrives then you can try until the 8th but I need it back on the 9th as that baby is coming to Cuba with me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These first samples, posted by a user on dpreview are very impressive :

RX1R2 first user gallery

It looks like he got a good one!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

UK shipping

I ordered and paid for mine upfront from Park Cameras (I get nearly everything from them) on the morning orders opened and expected to hear yesterday that their first shipment had arrived. Sony generally delivers to them on Wednesday. But they didn't receive any, which is a bummer. I'm off to Florida at the weekend and was going to try a week's shooting with nothing but the rx1rmk2, the rx100 mk4 and an ipad pro.

I'll live. Life is too short to get hung up on new camera arrivals and, for some reason it seems always the case that some exciting order arrives the day after I leave for a trip so I'm used to it by now - but oddly, I heard that Wex already had their first batch. Any one else in the UK heard anything?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The US $ is stronger and they shipped all their produce there.

When it debuted, the atrociously priced RX1 was offered here first. Then the Euro was quite strong.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    These first samples, posted by a user on dpreview are very impressive :

RX1R2 first user gallery

It looks like he got a good one!

Cheers

Brian
    I have mentioned this here before- with the LPF set to low, there is amazing amount of moire.
    Given this, why are people saying that the lens is going to be the limitation with this camera?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post

My lack of Korean notwithstanding- that is a comprehensive review!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have mentioned this here before- with the LPF set to low, there is amazing amount of moire.
    Given this, why are people saying that the lens is going to be the limitation with this camera?
    Because they know nothing and it's a Sony what do you expect. Sony is the garbage of the industry. Having said that I'll take 2. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Moire; can't this just be taken out post-processing in Photoshop?

By the way, SonyAlphaRumors is indicating that Amazon now has a special on the camera, with a $200 dollar merchandise rebate. Too bad I already ordered mine from B&H. That is OK, because they gave me a fair price on all of my trade-in gear, including my A7r, much more than two other major camera stores were offering.

Post Thanks / Like

There are three settings - off, standard and high. The DPR images linked here have the LPF set to "off".

From looking at DPR's flat field studio shots, having the LPF set to "high" eliminates all moire with a small hit to sharpness (emphasis on "small hit", and only noticeable at 1:1). Setting it to "standard", virtually all moire disappears and there is no hit to sharpness. This will be my initial setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clifton cameras say the will ship mine tomorrow. Should receive it early next week
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We'll have to meet up so I can take a gander.

I am afraid to announce that I have moved to the dark side since my original liking for the RX1Rm2 was enthused...

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Louis

Oh no!
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the new RX this morning and headed right to a local street fair. I brought along a couple of spare batteries and lens shade, along with a remote cable release.

Initial thoughts:

The popup EVF is really nice and very functional. I tried to use it without the eyecup, but found the front lens of the EVF picks up too much skin oil. I'll keep the eyecup affixed, but it really isn't hard at all to install and remove.

After the first few shots, I thought "Hmmm, I thought this was supposed to be a silent shutter." It was noisy! Yes, there IS a setting for it. Whisper quiet now.

The Fotodiox grip for the Rx1 works, but does not fit very snug. After trying it for awhile, it really didn't make the camera any more/less comfortable to hold, at least for my hands. I'll be returning the grip.

The AF works fabulously well. In fact, when I attached the Sony cable release (yes, it DOES work! ) for some stealth, I got a huge percentage of keepers.

It eats through the batteries. I got maybe 90 shots from the first battery, but I didn't do a very good job of turning the camera off between shots.

I'm posting a few images in the other thread. So far... Wow!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats, Dandrewk!
    You had good light to play with!

The quiet shutter (it really is) comes into play when you turn off the fake electronic sounds! Then one can hear the lens focusing (in AF mode).

Battery is amazingly poor. I have been preparing for that with a Panasonic GM1 but it really did not help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Picked up the new RX this morning and headed right to a local street fair. I brought along a couple of spare batteries and lens shade, along with a remote cable release.

Initial thoughts:

The popup EVF is really nice and very functional. I tried to use it without the eyecup, but found the front lens of the EVF picks up too much skin oil. I'll keep the eyecup affixed, but it really isn't hard at all to install and remove.

After the first few shots, I thought "Hmmm, I thought this was supposed to be a silent shutter." It was noisy! Yes, there IS a setting for it. Whisper quiet now.

The Fotodiox grip for the Rx1 works, but does not fit very snug. After trying it for awhile, it really didn't make the camera any more/less comfortable to hold, at least for my hands. I'll be returning the grip.

The AF works fabulously well. In fact, when I attached the Sony cable release (yes, it DOES work! ) for some stealth, I got a huge percentage of keepers.

It eats through the batteries. I got maybe 90 shots from the first battery, but I didn't do a very good job of turning the camera off between shots.

I'm posting a few images in the other thread. So far... Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whew! been a testy day....pun intended. First let me clarify....I LOVE my RX1r...always have...it is so good wide open I mostly shoot at f2 as it is as good wide open as it is at other apertures...sharp sharp and incredible micro contrast. I point, auto focus and know it will be in focus at f2...period. Also, I am not a professional tester...but I've been photographing all my life so usually go by what I'm seeing. With this said I got my RX1r2 at noon today and have been testing ALL afternoon and into the evening. My 35 lens on my RX1r2 can't provide a decent match to same lens on the RX1r....I figured either it was my technique or more pixels are too much for it. All tripod mounted during testing. Options for moire all turned OFF.

Soooo, I went to my A7r2 with my Zeiss 35mm 1.4 lens and compared both lenses at f2. See samples. Still my RX1r2 35 lens is still soft wide open. I don't think I remember ever sending back a lens because I didn't think it met the expected standards but I'm actually considering sending this camera back to B&H. Because so many errors can come into play in comparing...focus off every so slightly, etc etc etc I have been testing for hours. I will try more tomorrow but things are not looking good for this particular camera lens combination. I'd rather shoot with my Rx1r which I know I can trust. I'm also waiting to hear what others are saying about their RX1r2 wide open also. My camera sharpens up nicely at 2.8 but that's not good enough for a camera this expensive. (samples at 100 percent, RX1r2 on top in both images)....If I'm hearing others are finding this lens to be stellar wide open I will re order (if I decide to send this copy back).....time will tell. (RAW conversion in C1 at default sharpening 120 .8 1. Yes I could sharpen more but this is about comparing these lenses) ISO 100..... eleanor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow......
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

Eleanor - I'm sorry to hear this. I'm not sure what is going on with your camera. I went through all my shots today taken at f/2.0, and can't find any issues with them. You may have a bad lens. Bummer.

Here are couple I took today at f/2.0. No processing outside of lens profiles:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor different sensor all together. When I got my A7rII I noticed immediately it has a much softer look to the files and to get the pop I increased the sharpness. With the A7rII it just needs more and I got over that right away that I had to sharpen more. In C1 I use 280,.5,.5 to get the level my A7r was, I say try that on the RX2 what I call it than compare to the Rx1 at your current levels they are just different sensors that need different levels. I actually like this because if I want that softer look it's already there in the file but if I want the higher level I have to go over of what I was used to. Try those levels see if it kicks up. It maybe just that or you may have a issue too. But give that a try.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor, I mentioned this in the other thread that it is going take some "adjustments" interms of handling as well as post processing to come to terms with the RX1RII. The differences in sharpness i see between the RAWs and the in camera jpegs is huge. The jpegs appear very crisp and sharp (did Sony figure out Barry's processing secrets? ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will definitely do this Guy but why does this lens/ camera combination sharpen up VERY nicely at 2.8 with same default sharpening I mentioned. One would think other f stops might also have the softness issue too??? How would this sensor effect the lens at f2...not only sharpening but micro contrast ???. I hope this (the sensor) is the issue and not a bad copy of the lens on my camera because I really don't want to send it back. Thanks for you help!! PS...doesn't the A7R2 also have the same sensor and software as in the RX1r2?? Eleanor

Eleanor different sensor all together. When I got my A7rII I noticed immediately it has a much softer look to the files and to get the pop I increased the sharpness. With the A7rII it just needs more and I got over that right away that I had to sharpen more. In C1 I use 280,.5,.5 to get the level my A7r was, I say try that on the RX2 what I call it than compare to the Rx1 at your current levels they are just different sensors that need different levels. I actually like this because if I want that softer look it's already there in the file but if I want the higher level I have to go over of what I was used to. Try those levels see if it kicks up. It maybe just that or you may have a issue too. But give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check the aperture when firing. I'm worried it maybe stopping down more or less

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the A7rII and Rx2 are identical sensors why I mentioned the sharpening values it should carry over exactly to match the A7rII..

Also check in you menus if you have some defaults on you don't want like NR and stuff like that. Lens corrections as well. I wish I had one in hand to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    I will definitely do this Guy but why does this lens/ camera combination sharpen up VERY nicely at 2.8 with same default sharpening I mentioned. One would think other f stops might also have the softness issue too??? How would this sensor effect the lens at f2...not only sharpening but micro contrast ???. I hope this (the sensor) is the issue and not a bad copy of the lens on my camera because I really don't want to send it back. Thanks for you help!! PS...doesn't the A7R2 also have the same sensor and software as in the RX1r2?? Eleanor
    Also fast lenses usually are best one stop to two stops down than wide open. But it should be a small improvement not a big jump .

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Check LPF setting...

This link has comparisons:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...de-your-wallet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy......the sharpening as you suggested helps a lot...thanks. Yes I realize most lenses are better a stop or two down but I was initially comparing the same lens on my RX1r...both at f2 and got very very different results. But as you mentioned they do NOT have the same sensor! The out of focus areas are downright dreamy at f2 on the RX1r2 however and I'm sure the same will be true at 2.8. Really lovely bokeh!!! Thanks again! Eleanor

Also fast lenses usually are best one stop to two stops down than wide open. But it should be a small improvement not a big jump .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I forgot all about that. My bet it's on low

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Guy......the sharpening as you suggested helps a lot...thanks. Yes I realize most lenses are better a stop or two down but I was initially comparing the same lens on my RX1r...both at f2 and got very very different results. But as you mentioned they do NOT have the same sensor! The out of focus areas are downright dreamy at f2 on the RX1r2 however and I'm sure the same will be true at 2.8. Really lovely bokeh!!! Thanks again! Eleanor
    Check that Low pass filter setting as Suggested I forgot all about that. Yes your just dealing with different sensors so one immediately thinks something is wrong. I did too until I realized how much smoother this 42mpx sensor is.

Try testing with LPF off for now until you feel the lens is reacting better wide open. Than adjust by taste later to your shooting. There making a big deal out of this setting, I'm not as I would just run it off anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Eleanor said in her first post that the moire/LPF options were Off. Folks are reporting that the middle choice does not degrade sharpness and deals well with moire. So only if it were on the highest setting would it have degraded sharpness?

I wonder if some unintended default sharpening is occurring in the A7R2 files? IMO it would be most revealing to see files from both cameras without any sharpening at all.

And/or compare f2 on your RXR1 and RXR2, instead of the Zeiss f1.4 @ f2?

Kirk

PS, sorry to suggest more pixel-peeping, but I confess I have a vested interest: My dealer isn't on Sony's A list, and my A7RII arrived later than other folks got theirs. So I have a time-lag of a week or so to see how issues like this turn out for RX2.

I recall that in the DPR tests (that weren't set up very well) I thought the RX1's raw file resolution, both center and corners, looked a little better than RX2.
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 28th November 2015 at 19:47. Reason: ps

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check that Low pass filter setting as Suggested I forgot all about that. Yes your just dealing with different sensors so one immediately thinks something is wrong. I did too until I realized how much smoother this 42mpx sensor is.

Try testing with LPF off for now until you feel the lens is reacting better wide open. Than adjust by taste later to your shooting. There making a big deal out of this setting, I'm not as I would just run it off anyway.

In the crops above, Eleanor was comparing to the a7RII with FE 35/1.4 @ f/2 wasn't she? Same sensor.

Eleanor - Definitely check the LPF setting but it shouldn't be that drastic of a difference - although I hope it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes my LPF setting was on off from the get go...and the above comparison was against the zeiss 35 1.4 at f2 on A7r2....It's evident as Guy said, that the RX1r and RX1r2 have very different sensors. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    In the crops above, Eleanor was comparing to the a7RII with FE 35/1.4 @ f/2 wasn't she? Same sensor.

Eleanor - Definitely check the LPF setting but it shouldn't be that drastic of a difference - although I hope it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I would not be surprised if the 35 1.4 was sharper or resolved more detail more on the wide open side. These are different designed lenses the 35 1.4 is a Distagon which is known be be very very good in the wide open area. The Sonnar which I have not shot yet but I can tell it's different with more a look or character in its design. So even though the Sonnar is highly regarded it maybe more in areas that are color, pop, saturation and amazing bokeh that is more evident than raw sharpness. Bottom line there both incredible lenses but my bet is the Distagon may have a slight edge on the resolving detail better. Love to test them two side by side myself because I'm trying to see what one would work best for me also.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!, I am so surprised at the difference between the 2 camera/lens combinations.
    Yes I accept lenses generally improve stopped down a touch, but for a fixed lens with all the hype the Zeiss Sonnar has received in the past, I would be seriously considering returning this camera and trying another sample.
    If the results are the same, so be it. But I would have expected better.

I am, regardless of differences between Sonnar and Distagon lens design amazed by the pop and resolution of that distagon at f2. I have been toying with the idea of adding a C/Y distagon to my alt glass, I may just bite the bullet a get the Sony with all the bells and whistles.

Send it back ...
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm actually a little surprised by these observations. We've always found that base acuity is less without sharpening as you increase the resolution. The extra MP will show off the extra tonal range but you may end up seeing softness @ 100% on screen in the same lens that you didn't see before. It's inevitable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ouch, I did read somewhere that the lens has to be set extremely precisely to the sensor - perhaps this is an early QA issue? dpreview's samples were very poor in comparison to the Imaging Resource samples.

I think I would definitely request a replacement, Eleanor

Good luck

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest another test. Looks very slightly misfocused to me. I find that much more likely; Occam's Razor.

Post Thanks / Like

My copy of this little camera produces images that're extremely sharp. Right on a par with my A7rII. If I had the results you are having, I'd return it for another copy.
    Stephen