Site Sponsors
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx1r2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx1r2

Mine should be coming in this week.

Anybody know if the L-plate for the previous version would fit? Any other ideas for a good camera plate? I am not really looking to do vertical compositions but need something to clamp my Black Rapid on to. I suppose any generic plate would do for this, but having one that is precisely built for this one would be ideal.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

What are the feelings about using a UV/Haze filter on this camera for protection?

I already have a 49mm Hoya (nano coat), and usually I do use these filters on other lenses. On the RX, I am torn - Worry about potential for a minuscule, imperceptible image degradation on an awesome lens, or worry about a very expensive repair and not having the camera for a few weeks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    What are the feelings about using a UV/Haze filter on this camera for protection?

I already have a 49mm Hoya (nano coat), and usually I do use these filters on other lenses. On the RX, I am torn - Worry about potential for a minuscule, imperceptible image degradation on an awesome lens, or worry about a very expensive repair and not having the camera for a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have the new camera, but I put this one on my Rx1-r. http://breakthrough.photography/prod...action-filter/

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a filter guy, not so much any more.
    You could put one on and do some tests.
    Not all filters are the same quality. ND types seem to be a good example of variations in quality.
    I once tried a circular pol on my DP2M and the results were horrific to say the least. A form of Low-mography .

A hood is perhaps a partial alternative but also has some extra benefit from shielding stray light as well as fingerprints.
    If you do, do a test please let us know your findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got my hands on a loaner Friday and any fears regarding loss of the original RX1's "magic" have been allayed. This camera is awesome.

I've read with interest some of the earlier posts here regarding perceptual acuity of the 42mp sensor vs a 24 or even 12mp sensor and based on my experience with a7RII, tend to agree but what I'm seeing out of this camera turns that notion upside down. I keep doing a double-check of my sharpness settings to make sure they aren't jacked up excessively - they aren't. And images look sharp wide open at standard view, no need to zoom in to 100% to "feel" the detail.

Battery life also wasn't as bad for me as I feared. I shot in 50 degree weather Friday night for six hours - 750 exposures - and depleted two batteries fully with the third showing full bars still. I turned on airplane mode unless needed (I did transfer one photo to the phone) and switched the camera off in between shots as I always did with the original RX1.

AF Tracking and Eye AF are as good as they are on the a7RII - incredible to have this level of AF capability in this tiny package.

The one downside to all of the camera's new super powers is the lack of space on the body and the size of the buttons. Now that we have the option to customize them more completely (thanks you Sony), you are going to be using them more than on the original RX1. A small gripe, and one I'll accept in return for he compact size of the camera. Might have to try out some of those third party button enhancers. Anyone have experience or recommendations on good ones?

Tip - if you want to use the Eye AF feature, the only way to do so is to program it to a button. I'm using the AEL button so I can hold it down and simultaneously trip the shutter.
    Last edited by Show Performance; 6th December 2015 at 21:00.
    Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great feedback, Chad.

I use the shiny chrome buttons from http://rluther.com on my Sony's.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have these buttons on my A7rII thanks to Cindy's recommendation work very nice. You can also buy a product called Sugra. Think I spelled that right and make buttons. Again Cindy with recommendation. Folks should try these they really help
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, https://sugru.com. Make your own buttons. They peel right off when you are ready to sell the camera, but don't fall off in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dang it I knew I spelled it wrong , what else is new. I want this freaking camera. I might have to borrow money. Any loan sharks out there for short term financing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Re:'"I keep doing a double-check of my sharpness settings to make sure they aren't jacked up excessively - they aren't. And images look sharp wide open at standard view, no need to zoom in to 100% to "feel" the detail."

Thank you for your post, Show Performance.

I know very little about post processing, i.e. applying sharpness settings...

But can you comment on how sharp the images are straight out of camera?

Thank you
    Last edited by doublezd; 6th December 2015 at 19:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Got my hands on a loaner Friday and any fears regarding loss of the original RX1's "magic" have been allayed. This camera is awesome.

I've read with interest some of the earlier posts here regarding perceptual acuity of the 42mp sensor vs a 24 or even 12mp sensor and based on my experience with a7RII, tend to agree but what I'm seeing out of this camera turns that notion upside down. I keep doing a double-check of my sharpness settings to make sure they aren't jacked up excessively - they aren't. And images look sharp wide open at standard view, no need to zoom in to 100% to "feel" the detail.

Battery life also wasn't as bad for me as I feared. I shot in 50 degree weather Friday night for six hours - 750 exposures - and depleted two batteries fully with the third showing full bars still. I turned off airplane mode unless needed (I did transfer one photo to the phone) and switched the camera off in between shots as I always did with the original RX1.

AF Tracking and Eye AF are as good as they are on the a7RII - incredible to have this level of AF capability in this tiny package.

The one downside to all of the camera's new super powers is the lack of space on the body and the size of the buttons. Now that we have the option to customize them more completely (thanks you Sony), you are going to be using them more than on the original RX1. A small gripe, and one I'll accept in return for he compact size of the camera. Might have to try out some of those third party button enhancers. Anyone have experience or recommendations on good ones?

Tip - if you want to use the Eye AF feature, the only way to do so is to program it to a button. I'm using the AEL button so I can hold it down and simultaneously trip the shutter.
    Great review, I agree with just about everything!

There seems to be a difference in battery life many are reporting. Some have said "around 50", and others have been getting 200 shots per battery. Things like turning WiFi off (btw, that means turning airplane mode "on" ) and turning off the camera between shots can make a big difference. I wonder how much difference the EVF/LCD quality setting makes. It defaults to "standard", but I suspect many switch that to the higher setting.

I also set the AEL switch to Eye AF. That puts the tip of my thumb on the button, which is ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

Warning about third party versions of the Sony thumb grip. I received the Fotodiox (type B). The fit on the hot shoe was VERY tight. It took a bit of force to insert, and the only way to remove it without damaging the mount is wedging with a tiny screwdriver. This is not something you'd want to do a lot if you have to remove the grip for a flash. Even so, after a couple of insert/removals, the thing snapped. It was cheap ($14.95) so not a huge loss.

note - Fotodiox has a "type D" version for the RX. It's the same as "B" but with a swivel for the appendage. A DPR user got one and had to file it down to get it to fit properly.

Everything else about the thumb grip worked great. For me, it made handling the RX much easier. So much so, I bit a major bullet and ordered the overpriced Sony version which has a locking mechanism instead relying on friction. I got a used one from B&H, so it didn't hurt quite so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quoting number of shots for battery life is a bit unreliable... different photographers will shoot with different frequency - i.e. two or three shots per image vs one shot every minute.

I have 3 spare batteries which I carry for good measure, but will rarely need more than one full battery per outing.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Warning about third party versions of the Sony thumb grip. I received the Fotodiox (type B). The fit on the hot shoe was VERY tight. It took a bit of force to insert, and the only way to remove it without damaging the mount is wedging with a tiny screwdriver. This is not something you'd want to do a lot if you have to remove the grip for a flash. Even so, after a couple of insert/removals, the thing snapped. It was cheap ($14.95) so not a huge loss.

note - Fotodiox has a "type D" version for the RX. It's the same as "B" but with a swivel for the appendage. A DPR user got one and had to file it down to get it to fit properly.

Everything else about the thumb grip worked great. For me, it made handling the RX much easier. So much so, I bit a major bullet and ordered the overpriced Sony version which has a locking mechanism instead relying on friction. I got a used one from B&H, so it didn't hurt quite so much.
    I ended up getting the Sony one as well, but used from Amazon. Seller had 2 in stock, shipped in the accessory pouch and no box. Looks mint and ended up paying $70 for it. Expensive, yes. But a Thumbs Up or Match Technical for my older x100 was about that much. But the Sony has a lock as you mentioned and a swivel. I would hate to spend $3,300 for a camera and cheap out on an accessory that ends up damaging the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Quoting number of shots for battery life is a bit unreliable... different photographers will shoot with different frequency - i.e. two or three shots per image vs one shot every minute.

I have 3 spare batteries which I carry for good measure, but will rarely need more than one full battery per outing.

Cheers

Brian
    Absolutely, which is why I listed both the number of shots taken and the period of time I was shooting to give a frame of reference. Knowing you can get 750 shots over six hours gave me a lot of confidence for my style of shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Battery life also wasn't as bad for me as I feared. I shot in 50 degree weather Friday night for six hours - 750 exposures - and depleted two batteries fully with the third showing full bars still. I turned off airplane mode unless needed (I did transfer one photo to the phone) and switched the camera off in between shots as I always did with the original RX1.

Re:'"I keep doing a double-check of my sharpness settings to make sure they aren't jacked up excessively - they aren't. And images look sharp wide open at standard view, no need to zoom in to 100% to "feel" the detail."

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doublezd View Post

Thank you
    The JPEG engine on the RX1R is fantastic.
    Hopefully the same or better on the RX1r II.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    The JPEG engine on the RX1R is fantastic.
    Hopefully the same or better on the RX1r II.
    I shoot RAW, but don't really post at all.

So, how about RAW images straight out of camera?

thx

Post Thanks / Like

thx
    Mine hasn't arrived yet but I can confidently answer that question: there is no such thing as a RAW 'straight out of the camera' because you have to choose which RAW developer to open the file in, and that involves, de facto, a series of choices as to colour profiling, sharpening, NR, etc etc etc.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are the pictures...I can't find any @#$%& pictures...please provide pictures.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Where are the pictures...I can't find any @#$%& pictures...please provide pictures.

Roy Benson
    On the "fun with" thread.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/569...-rx-1r-ii.html
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Quentin. I have looked at the " fun with" pages...mostly Vivek snapshots...that's why I was hoping to find something here.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Thanks, Quentin. I have looked at the " fun with" pages...mostly Vivek snapshots...that's why I was hoping to find something here.

Roy Benson
    Roy,

There are not many shots yet - cameras are still in the mail!. I have posted few, but it's early days.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Dang it I knew I spelled it wrong , what else is new. I want this freaking camera. I might have to borrow money. Any loan sharks out there for short term financing.
    Are you aware that PP credit (six months sans interest) Is honored by B&H. Nifty way to use other peoples money for half a year and not pay interest.

(signed) Happily clicking away with my new Rx1r2. Clear Zeiss filter and aftermarket shade don't make it look much bigger, but reduce the naked lens fear factor.

S
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

I hesitated to touch this one, because the protective filter or not is one of the most commonly debated questions on photography forums, but I'll give you my opinion anyway.

On my RX1Rii, I'm going with a Zeiss T star coated clear UV filter and no hood for everyday use. On days when I'm going to be doing a more serious landscape session, I'll probably take the filter off and use a hood.

The actual clear filter vs. no filter tests I've seen on the web have shown a possible loss of contrast only in certain situations of less than 1%. A long time ago, I made the somewhat arbitrary decision to put high quality protective filters on my lenses that cost more than $1,000. This is just for peace of mind. If I was out doing a landscape photo session, I would probably take the filter off. One reason that I'm keeping a filter on with this camera is that I decided not to use a hood for everyday use. I think it's very difficult to make this lens flare and I want to keep this camera as small and easy to use as possible. I'll get a hood for days when I'm going out for landscape shoots (when I will probably take my protective filter off).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    +1.

Unboxed it at the camera shop and slapped the protector on immediately. Anything else would have been utterly moronic.
    Moronic?

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Breakthrough Photography X3 UV filter. Figured that for a $3,300 camera, a $70 filter wasn't that big of a deal.

Also just a heads up, the overpriced Sony OEM lens hood is slightly less overpriced now. Just a quick check on Amazon shows that Adorama is selling it for $78, so not that far off of what Fotodiox is selling theirs for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Mine hasn't arrived yet but I can confidently answer that question: there is no such thing as a RAW 'straight out of the camera' because you have to choose which RAW developer to open the file in, and that involves, de facto, a series of choices as to colour profiling, sharpening, NR, etc etc etc.
    Thank you Tashley:

What I meant was that I open them in Lightroom, and beyond cropping, I prefer not to do much of anything else. It's Open, Maybe Crop, and that's it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw does anyone know where you can buy one in stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck Guy. I hear they are heavily constrained. Hot seller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thx
    You would need someone to actually post the RAW images. Check Imaging Resource - I think they have some in their gallery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I am afraid of that also.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tashley:

What I meant was that I open them in Lightroom, and beyond cropping, I prefer not to do much of anything else. It's Open, Maybe Crop, and that's it...
    Just to be clear: opening the raw file in LR, OR in Capture One, or in anything else, is effectively 'developing' it. They all apply their own blend of profiling and noise reduction and so on, all of which you can then change. But there is no such thing as an 'out of the camera' RAW file other than as input fodder for a demosaicing algorithm. In terms of what you, as a human, can actually get a visual on, it doesn't exist - unless you read code... It's really important to understand that LR or anything else is making just as many decisions about how the file looks to you as the camera does when it spits out a JPEG. The only difference is that the RAW file still contains options, and the raw developer lets you exercise them with a degree of flexibility denied you by a JPEG file.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck Guy. I hear they are heavily constrained. Hot seller.
    No, not for immediate delivery. Heck, I got given a tease that mine was arriving on 11/27 and let down and still waiting, and I'm the only guy on my dealers list and one of their cash cows.

btw, I'm not so sure as whether it's hot selling or just limited supply because I'm sure that sony hardly expect this camera to be a blow out seller TBH.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Focus camera shows in stock:
    http://www.focuscamera.com/sony-rx1r...al-camera.html

Their ratings are not very high, but I bought Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 (US version) from them several years ago when nobody had it in stock.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the US market but in my case I simply sought out the main camera shops in London, found LCE had one and ordered it online.

Post Thanks / Like

More anecdotal experiences with battery life: Today I went out and shot 149 images. I started with a fresh battery - 4 bars. Three hours later I ended up with 3 bars.

The key (for me) is to turn the camera off between shots (when possible and feasible). The camera turns on so quickly, I won't miss many (or any) shots.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Is there interest in a battery grip? Or a grip that has a storage compartment for a spare battery perhaps?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Is there interest in a battery grip? Or a grip that has a storage compartment for a spare battery perhaps?
    Grip: no.
    A solution with spare battery storage - sure if it's not intrusive or bulky.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More anecdotal experiences with battery life: Today I went out and shot 149 images. I started with a fresh battery - 4 bars. Three hours later I ended up with 3 bars.

The key (for me) is to turn the camera off between shots (when possible and feasible). The camera turns on so quickly, I won't miss many (or any) shots.
    Perfect example - the official (CIPA) battery life for the RX1RII is 220 shots. According to your own shooting experience, you'll get >420 shots over a 12 hour shooting day on one (tiny) battery.

And yet we read reports of the RX1RII "chewing through batteries" from other users.

One simply has to consider many anecdotal reports, and tune into the reliable sources when one can find them.

Kind regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

The act of actually snapping the shutter doesn't require much power. It's all the stuff leading up to the shot that drains the battery. Just turning off the camera as much as you can will o a long way towards eliminating battery issues.

Sometimes it's not easy though. Pure street shooting often necessitates leaving the camera on for long periods. I'm guessing I wouldn't get anywhere near 400 shots... or even 200. But that's still more than plenty, and batteries are cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The act of actually snapping the shutter doesn't require much power. It's all the stuff leading up to the shot that drains the battery. Just turning off the camera as much as you can will o a long way towards eliminating battery issues.

Sometimes it's not easy though. Pure street shooting often necessitates leaving the camera on for long periods. I'm guessing I wouldn't get anywhere near 400 shots... or even 200. But that's still more than plenty, and batteries are cheap.
    That's really what bugs me, to be honest - it should be possible to put the camera into 'low power sleep mode' whenever the camera is between shots, without you having to switch it off and on again.

Sony really need to invest more effort in software design - from user interface to functionality.

Maybe we'll see strides being made if Samsung team up with Nikon?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is coming in today (hopefully).

Some questions.

1. Does the existing camera plate for the Rx1R fit the newer model?

2. Anybody know if the wired remote RM-VPR1 (or its cheap clone) works with this camera?

3. Is it really necessary to get the lens hood for general purpose shots in sunlight? And if so, is it big and cumbersome?

Thanks
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe somebody said it already, but turning on airplane mode (i.e., turning off WiFi) and having LCD set to standard are both settings that significantly improve battery life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    from where?

- - - Updated - - -

This is always the key...and I find that most cameras wake up faster from being turned on than from waking up.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post

Some questions.

1. Does the existing camera plate for the Rx1R fit the newer model?
    The tripod socket is moved slightly from the RX1...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Grip: no.
    A solution with spare battery storage - sure if it's not intrusive or bulky.
    Working on this now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    from where?

- - - Updated - - -

This is always the key...and I find that most cameras wake up faster from being turned on than from waking up.
    Waking up from low power sleep mode should take milliseconds - no idea why this isn't the case in practice, other than underdeveloped software

Switching off wifi and turning down the lcd brightness, plus using MF to reduce focus racking are all steps we take to reduce power usage - again, these and other reductions could be automated.

This is really important, but shouldn't detract from the genius of such an outstanding camera. I guess it's like the window which has been cleaned to perfection... You notice the single spot of crap all the more clearly

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

Switching off wifi and turning down the lcd brightness.....
    Just so everyone is clear, I was suggesting setting "Display Quality" to "Standard" rather than "High." This is the default setting and different than turning down the LCD brightness. When I first got my A7R, I changed to "High" thinking "High" is better than Standard. But, whatever gains there are from going to High are offset by the battery hit IMO.

Try it, I think you'll see battery life improve and I don't think you'll see any material degradation of the LCD image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, thanks for the tip Jeff... I have my display quality set to 'Standard' and can't tell the difference.

Cheers

Brian