Site Sponsors
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx1r2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx1r2

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Mine is coming in today (hopefully).

Some questions.

2. Anybody know if the wired remote RM-VPR1 (or its cheap clone) works with this camera?
    Yes, the Sony remote works flawlessly.

3. Is it really necessary to get the lens hood for general purpose shots in sunlight? And if so, is it big and cumbersome?

Thanks
    The way the element is situated, it would be a rare instance where the hood makes a difference for sun glare. However, it does provide good protection for that expensive lens! It's quite small and light as you can see from web photos. It's not the cheapy/plastic hoods you normally see, instead using lightweight aluminum. It's also very pricey - Sony list is $179, although B&H has it marked down to $79. The Fotodiox version I have is $69 and works/looks great.

I think it looks cool on the camera, adding to its somewhat retro look. I keep it on permanently and don't use the lens cap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Yes, thanks for the tip Jeff... I have my display quality set to 'Standard' and can't tell the difference.

Cheers

Brian
    I can see the difference. Comparing the two, "standard" is a bit darker and shows more aliasing (jagged lines). It's still more than acceptable, so it depends on how important a crystal clear EVF is to you.

Post Thanks / Like

"3. Is it really necessary to get the lens hood for general purpose shots in sunlight? And if so, is it big and cumbersome?"

"....It's also very pricey - Sony list is $179, although B&H has it marked down to $79. The Fotodiox version I have is $69 and works/looks great."

I can't understand the need for a vented lens hood on a mirrorless camera – those are designed for looking through viewfinders that would be blocked by a regular hood, aren't they?

You can get a serviceable 49mm WA lens hood from Heavystar or a number of sources on theBay for under $10.

Kirk

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question. I like to put cameras on there side when putting in a bag. How does it measure from lens to back of camera. Is it like 3 inches or so as that maybe the same diameter as a lens
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Question. I like to put cameras on there side when putting in a bag. How does it measure from lens to back of camera. Is it like 3 inches or so as that maybe the same diameter as a lens
    Hi Guy
    It looks like 72mm according to...

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

+

http://camerasize.com/compare/#638,468

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    from where?

- - - Updated - - -
    My usual dealer had one that was a 'demo' meaning the box was opened but never used. Dealers get these in an early consignment. I am in a rush as I am leaving next week on a trip and needed the camera before that. I am happy that I got it because availability is worse than that of the A7R2 when it came out.

The camera is as good as new, nothing seems to have been used or tried out at all.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The tripod socket is moved slightly from the RX1...

- - - Updated - - -

Working on this now.
    So can it be used? I can get a cheap one from Amazon instead of the usual RRS heavyweight. Just need something that I can use the BR clamp on. I don't need the 'L' plate because for vertical tripod work I have the A7R2. Cannot find just a slim plate though, or one where the vertical section can be removed easily.

One of the big appeals of the camera is that it is so small and I would hate to make it bulkier with large grips and plates.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The tripod socket is moved slightly from the RX1...

bummer!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

So can it be used? I can get a cheap one from Amazon instead of the usual RRS heavyweight. Just need something that I can use the BR clamp on. I don't need the 'L' plate because for vertical tripod work I have the A7R2. Cannot find just a slim plate though, or one where the vertical section can be removed easily.

One of the big appeals of the camera is that it is so small and I would hate to make it bulkier with large grips and plates.
    Pradeep,

It turns out that the RRS BPnS bidirectional plate for point and shoot works great on my new RX1Rii:

RRS - Bidirectional plate for Point-n-Shoot

I originally got it for my RX 100 and thought I would try it when I tested my RX1Rii lens on my tripod. I was surprised how well it worked. Since you don't need an L plate, this would be perfect for you - it's RRS, small and relatively cheap.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kott View Post
    Pradeep,

It turns out that the RRS BPnS bidirectional plate for point and shoot works great on my new RX1Rii:

RRS - Bidirectional plate for Point-n-Shoot

I originally got it for my RX 100 and thought I would try it when I tested my RX1Rii lens on my tripod. I was surprised how well it worked. Since you don't need an L plate, this would be perfect for you - it's RRS, small and relatively cheap.
    Jeff, thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Pity RRS do not have any other outlets, but hopefully will get it before I leave. It is good to have a plate as an option.

Have you tried the wired remote release with this camera? I ordered one, just to see if it works, in stealth mode with silent shutter it would be a great option for street images.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the wired remote release with this camera? I ordered one, just to see if it works, in stealth mode with silent shutter it would be a great option for street images.
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/564...tml#post672913

I use that exact setup for street.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Sony iPhone app for a wireless release. Very discrete if that's what you're looking for.

Back to the plate - it's rated for up to 1 lb. and the RX1Rii with battery and card is 1.12 lbs., but it feels super secure and knowing the RRS guys, they err on the conservative side by more than 12%

Post Thanks / Like

Pradeep, I posted these in another forum and thought you might want to see the set up:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kott View Post
    Pradeep, I posted these in another forum and thought you might want to see the set up:

Exactly what the doctor ordered

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - Would some kind person please answer this query :

'With the 4x3 format, does the Rx1r2 'bake' the RAW file in 4x3 ratio and with a commensurate file size?'

As an aside; for several years I shot 6x7 film with a 'compact, folding, Plaubel Makina rangefinder camera. The 6x7 'files' [because of it's wonderful custom Nikon medium format fixed lens] were fabulous. The Rx1r2 appeals to me as a digital-age Makina alternative capable for serious work - [albeit with Sony's interference with inconsiderate layout and UI].

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Hi - Would some kind person please answer this query :

'With the 4x3 format, does the Rx1r2 'bake' the RAW file in 4x3 ratio and with a commensurate file size?'

As an aside; for several years I shot 6x7 film with a 'compact, folding, Plaubel Makina rangefinder camera. The 6x7 'files' [because of it's wonderful custom Nikon medium format fixed lens] were fabulous. The Rx1r2 appeals to me as a digital-age Makina alternative capable for serious work - [albeit with Sony's interference with inconsiderate layout and UI].

.............. Chris
    In the 3:2 format, the long side is 1.5 time the short side and we have :
    7952x5304 = ~ 42MB

In the 4:3 format the long side is 1.333 time the short side, so we have :
    7072 for the long side (aka the short side, 5304 time 1.333), which gives
    7072x5304= ~ 37.5MB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    In the 3:2 format....... = ~ 42MB
    In the 4:3 format........= ~ 37.5MB
    Anna – So the 'excess' 4.5Mb. is dumped in writing the [4x3] 37Mb. file.. For me, that memory save is very welcome.

Many thanks for your help.

[40mm good fixed-lens camera anyone?]

............... Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Anna – So the 'excess' 4.5Mb. is dumped in writing the [4x3] 37Mb. file.. For me, that memory save is very welcome.

Many thanks for your help.

[40mm good fixed-lens camera anyone?]

............... Chris
    Sorry, I don't know. I thought you would like to know how many pixels you had left for printing in 4:3 format; so it is just a computation, nothing derived from experience, since I don't own that camera.

It is possible that the JPEG will be cropped, but that the raw will keep all the pixels with cropping marks to confirm in the developing software.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its interesting to consider just how versatile the RX1R2 is or might be.

When I used to lug my Hasselblad H4D50, later H5D50-200MS around in the filed for landscape work, I'd take along 3 lenses, usually a 120mm Macro, 50mm F/3.5 MkII and a 28mm or 24mm ultrawide.

The macro was very rarely used. The most used lenses were the 50mm and 28mm, particularly the former which is a little wider than the 35mm on the Sony.

The resolution difference is 50mp (in single shot) for the Hassy, v 42.4mp for the Sony. The muiltishot capability of the 200MS is not useful in the field.

The problem I have with the Hasselblad is its sheer weight and size, which of course feeds in to the need for a big heavy tripod. Lug that up hill and down dale and you soon regret it! It's also only really any good below 200 ISO. Great studio camera but impractical otherwise.

I have now replaced the Hasselblad with an A7RII and RX1R2. Another feature in the latter's favour is that it works well as a pano camera, and just a 3 image stitched pano will have about 80mp useable data. Its also an outstanding street camera.

An RX1R2 and lightweight tripod, plus whatever filter set you use, and a compact pano head, can be carried almost without knowing you have them with you. That's not the case with the MF setup, or even a standard "35mm" setup.

Extraordinary.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    ...... don't know..thought you would like to know how many pixels you had left for printing in 4:3 format ........... I don't own that camera.
    Anna - Thanks, but no, Sony have published the 4x3 crop RAW pixels [I didn't check their figures].

Quote Originally Posted by Annna
    It is possible that the JPEG will be cropped, but that the raw will keep all the pixels with cropping marks to confirm in the developing software.
    That's the question. If someone with the camera could fire a quick 4x3 RAW shot and determine whether it carries the same Mb. as 3x2 format, I'd be very grateful for the answer. Hopefully it is a smaller file.

Thanks anyway Annna, I should have asked my question more clearly.

................. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Just shot the same pic from my desk in all 4 aspect ratios in RAW + JPG...

All JPGs are cropped permanently and file sizes are from 7.1 MB down to 4.8 MB.

All RAW files retain full 3:2 sensor data and are at full 42.9 MB file size. The images show up in LR cropped but as soon as you click the crop tool you see the full image and can recover it all or adjust to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

I've only taken a few shots with this little beauty but already loving it. The lens is just superb.

The first photo is a casual one during dinner at a restaurant last night, wide open, 1/60, ISO 800

The second is at 1/60 again, ISO 100, wide open. There is quite a bit of LCA and a slight barrel distortion was corrected in lens adjustments. The scene has very high edge contrast and the LCA is expected at f2. Not too much of a problem.

Both processed in LR, standard sharpening, exposure and other adjustments (just like would any other image).

Love the sharp details on the wine bottle and the little Buddha looks great too. I don't see any softness at f2. Will of course check it out at 2.8 also, but for me this is already sharp enough, especially for portraits and such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151212_RXR_0061.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	499.6 KB 
ID:	115025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151213_RXR_0070.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	526.0 KB 
ID:	115026
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post
    ..... all 4 aspect ratios in RAW + JPG....JPGs are cropped permanently......RAW files retain full 3:2 sensor data and.. full 42.9 MB file size. ..........
    Jim - Yes, that's more than helpful; it answers my question. It seems daft of Sony. Who's going to use a redundant implementation? Anyone who processes RAW knows how to crop anyway, so why bother having other aspect ratios if they aren't real crops?

Oh well. Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

............... Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I believe they have the "in camera" cropping feature, to help with alignment/composition?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

So, mine has still not arrived and I speak in the hypothetical sense, plus in the 'Should I maybe buy a Q instead" sense.

Back in my reviewing days I wrote a 3 part review of the RX1. When it came to the lens, I was pretty much as smitten as everyone, with one exception, which was that it had an odd mid field weakness which I put down to complex field curvature. Now Lloyd Chambers is finding odd and inconsistent results with his RX1R II, yet to be bottomed out in terms of what is causing it but speculating that the lens may not be as impressive on the higher mp sensor.

Now this will be fine for most subject matters other than those requiring flat field works, such as landscapes etc - and its not as if the lens on the Q is perfect either, but I wonder if anyone here who has the camera has run any simple flat field tests to see what's going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    So, mine has still not arrived and I speak in the hypothetical sense, plus in the 'Should I maybe buy a Q instead" sense.

Back in my reviewing days I wrote a 3 part review of the RX1. When it came to the lens, I was pretty much as smitten as everyone, with one exception, which was that it had an odd mid field weakness which I put down to complex field curvature. Now Lloyd Chambers is finding odd and inconsistent results with his RX1R II, yet to be bottomed out in terms of what is causing it but speculating that the lens may not be as impressive on the higher mp sensor.

Now this will be fine for most subject matters other than those requiring flat field works, such as landscapes etc - and its not as if the lens on the Q is perfect either, but I wonder if anyone here who has the camera has run any simple flat field tests to see what's going on?
    You mean a landscape at infinity? That would be a bummer but even then, this camera will mainly be a travel, people and street/candid camera for most of us. What I am seeing is great results wide open when photographing people at an event. The 35mm seems to me the perfect focal length for this.

I don't know that the higher resolution of this sensor should demand greater performance from the lens if the size does not change.

For dedicated landscape work, I would probably be using the A7R2 anyway, along with all the WA choices it offers.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Pradeep, that is what I mean - it was one of my main use-cases for the RX1. But I'm afraid higher resolution sensors need higher resolution lenses, even when the sensor size is constant.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Pradeep, that is what I mean - it was one of my main use-cases for the RX1. But I'm afraid higher resolution sensors need higher resolution lenses, even when the sensor size is constant.
    Yes, that sounds logical in a way although again, the difference would probably be obvious only at 100% or when printed large. Nobody views images on the web at 100% and very few people print larger than 13X19 (at home at least).

That brings us back to the old question of 'at what print size does the difference between MF and a point and shoot become obvious?"

Still, there is a point in what you say and I think it becomes most relevant when you have to crop into a frame, for you could end up losing half the resolution or more that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Now Lloyd Chambers is finding odd and inconsistent results with his RX1R II, yet to be bottomed out in terms of what is causing it but speculating that the lens may not be as impressive on the higher mp sensor.
    I find this comment by Lloyd to be a little strange based on my limited experience. I took a couple shots of a building from quite a distance on Friday pretty quickly and when I got home realized that I had forgotten to stop down from F 2.0. Now this was not a flat field scene, so no comment on that, but at 100% magnification all the details in the scene were quite crisp. For example, at 100% view I could clearly read all the details on a "No Parking" sign from more than 1/2 a block away. So, even at F2 I don't see the lens struggling with the sensor. I respect Lloyd and he's a very nice guy, but he seems to have problems with things that nobody else does.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why does anyone care anymore about what Lloyd says, especially if it has anything to do with Sony (and Leica, from what I hear)? If it wasn't some nebulous, anecdotal, unconfirmed "issue" with mid field sharpness, he'd find something else. He'd spot a spec of dust on the LCD screen, flick it off, and then write several paragraphs about how "unacceptable this is for a high priced camera".

I have real difficulty believing how this lens could be outstripped by ANY sensor. That sounds like an imagined problem is search of reality, with nothing but 100% speculation as the only result.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm being good here. Looking for a big fish in a small bowl. Or better said all the more reason for me to buy one.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Why does anyone care anymore about what Lloyd says, especially if it has anything to do with Sony (and Leica, from what I hear)? If it wasn't some nebulous, anecdotal, unconfirmed "issue" with mid field sharpness, he'd find something else. He'd spot a spec of dust on the LCD screen, flick it off, and then write several paragraphs about how "unacceptable this is for a high priced camera".

I have real difficulty believing how this lens could be outstripped by ANY sensor. That sounds like an imagined problem is search of reality, with nothing but 100% speculation as the only result.
    I'm not batting for Lloyd here but in my tests on the original rx1 the mid-field weakness was there, and from memory on both sides i.e. symmetrical.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see owning such a tiny camera seems absurdly small. If I wanted a small camera it would be a Nikon D810 or its likely soon to come successor
    Last edited by DougDolde; 15th December 2015 at 13:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I can't see owning such a tiny camera seems absurdly small

And I can, more absurdly small and tiny Rx1r's for me.
    the HepKitty
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not batting for Lloyd here but in my tests on the original rx1 the mid-field weakness was there, and from memory on both sides i.e. symmetrical.
    Tim, now I'm curious. I guess I'm not a sophisticated enough lens tester to find the mid-field weakness. I've taken some well focused images with lots of detail and am checking all around the images at 100% looking for the weakness and can't seem to find it. Would it only manifest in certain types of shots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know I know.... this kind of stuff probably won't be popular as it's got digital manipulation with the addition of the water (breaking the rules ;-) with my RX1r2. Fort Travis, Texas....(now barred off so had to put the tiny lens through the bars to shoot). iso 100...great shadow detail in darkest part of image. wonderful color in the file processed in C1 v.9. I have an abstract artistic series called "Portals and Hidden Dimensions" which this will be part of....this little pocket camera is far more that a "point and snap" camera...can do interesting stuff!..... Eleanor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was mentioned here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Does anybody know where I can access the RX1R2 manual online in pdf format? I hate to carry the paper manual with me.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was mentioned here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Does anybody know where I can access the RX1R2 manual online in pdf format? I hate to carry the paper manual with me.

Thanks.

I've seen two different ones.

The normal instruction manual:
    http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4579865111.pdf

And the Sony help guide with pretty much the same information, but with handy links in the table of contents:
    http://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1550/v1/en/print.pdf
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    I've seen two different ones.

The normal instruction manual:
    http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4579865111.pdf

And the Sony help guide with pretty much the same information, but with handy links in the table of contents:
    http://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1550/v1/en/print.pdf
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Delayed NOT halted!

I will not curse SAR in order not to aggravate myself.

Have a great holiday season everyone!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

nice selfie, Vivek!

Merry Christmas.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheers, Robert!

RX1R II, The Hague

(This is as close to Austin that I could find here. )

The RX1R II is the best camera that I have owned/used thusfar.

Those who were lucky enough to get one, enjoy!

Others, sorry you missed out early but more will show up soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Cheers, Robert!

RX1R II, The Hague

(This is as close to Austin that I could find here. )

The RX1R II is the best camera that I have owned/used thusfar.

Those who were lucky enough to get one, enjoy!

Others, sorry you missed out early but more will show up soon.
    Funny how many photographers are finding one of the new Sony cameras to be the best they have used.

My A7r2 replaced my Nikons as my best ever.

I also love my RX1 and will consider the RX1r2 next year, depending on what other tempting gear is available.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering why my dealer hasn't come up with an R2 for me, and I'd concluded they're only on Sony's B or C priority list. But yesterday I saw a SonyAlphaRumor that shipment has stopped while Sony fixes a bug. If that's true, then I guess some/many of us will have to wait a while.

But I don't really mind – my M-E isn't quite old enough to retire. (Digital retirement age seems to be about 3.5 years?)

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    But I don't really mind – my M-E isn't quite old enough to retire. (Digital retirement age seems to be about 3.5 years?)

Kirk
    Don't tell that to the RX1 I just bought!

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post

Kirk
    Don't be so sure. Isn't this one of the Leica machines with a self destruct sensor cover plates? Dump it now before it is too late.

(that is besides the fact thatL is a good 50-60 years behind Sony in camera tech).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I recently posted the following in the Sony forum with regards to possible future crop modes on Sony A7 series cameras...

" I recently contacted Sony Artisan Brian Smith with regards to this issue, thinking he may have some influence in influencing Sony firmware...

He got back to me which was very cool of him and I will post his responses below..

" More crop options have been a request of mine for quite some time. RX1R II is the first Sony camera to add 1:1 and 4:3 crops. I know that's not exactly what you want but It's a great compromise between 4:5 and 5:7.

I hope that will be added to future cameras."

and another later response when I asked about having the viewfinder crop to a format but leaving the whole sensor capture area to then later crop in post...

" Yup. That's how Sony crop ratios work in Raw. While Jpegs crop pixels, Raw is the full image that simply shows up with a crop applied (in Adobe & Phase One software too), but no pixels are lost. "

So can anyone confirm that the RX1R2 has a 4:3 crop mode and that it does somehow mask it off in the viewfinder but leaves the whole sensor capture area to then work with in post?

Thanks so much in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add if you guys thought there would be a chance of a Sony A7RII firmware upgrade to include this?

Please, Please, Please....... "

Can any owner of the new Sony RX1 mk2 confirm that it does have a 4:3 mode and that when capturing it does actually save all the information (the 3:2 sensor data) and enables you to crop later in post?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mandonbossi View Post
    Can any owner of the new Sony RX1 mk2 confirm that it does have a 4:3 mode and that when capturing it does actually save all the information (the 3:2 sensor data) and enables you to crop later in post?

It does... See my post #721 in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the reply back, much appreciated!

Now I just need Sony to offer it on my newly purchased A7RII....