The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Zony user

Had some hands on time with the new camera this week at Photo Plus - no images taken on SD card.

My main interest was in the EVF and AF speed.

EVF is very nice. The magnification puts it in-between the size of the original a7 bodies and the .78 of the a7RII and a7SII. I was worried that it was going to be small and squinty like the RX100 - not so. I'll also say that compared to the new EVFs in the Leica SL and the Q, the Sony EVFs are much more true to life in terms of color and contrast. The Leica EVFs, while high resolution and largely magnified have a weird matte look with a warm tint that I do not care for at all. Another example of specs telling a lie I guess.

AF speed was very quick - maybe not as fast as the Q or SL but certainly a significant improvement and one that is going to satisfy me. I also noticed that like the AF system in the a7RII, it is very surefooted and won't hunt easily. I was able to get the SL and Q to hunt on command, depending on the contrast level of my subject.

The camera felt the same (physically) and the way the EVF system pops up is very cool. I asked a rep at Sony if the EVF cavity represented an egress point for dust and his answer was "no less than the pop-up flash on the original".

So happily, nothing I saw swayed me from my decision to upgrade my original RX1 but I'm still looking forward to doing a comparison of the two once the new body arrives in November.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know! Looks like this is replacing my old RX1R and Q. I tried but never got used the 28mm FOV.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know! Looks like this is replacing my old RX1R and Q. I tried but never got used the 28mm FOV.
I finally got to try the Q - wonderful camera. I even like the 28mm FOV but I LOVE the 35mm FOV so, there you go. The size difference between the RX1 and the Q is significant as well so this is a no brainer decision for me.

Lucille

I finally got to try the Q - wonderful camera. I even like the 28mm FOV but I LOVE the 35mm FOV so, there you go. The size difference between the RX1 and the Q is significant as well so this is a no brainer decision for me.

I was on the verge of buying the Q, as I had given up hope that Sony was going to upgrade the Rx1, glad I was being very slow to purchase.

Though I still would love to testdrive a Q...

biglouis

I was on the verge of buying the Q, as I had given up hope that Sony was going to upgrade the Rx1, glad I was being very slow to purchase.

Though I still would love to testdrive a Q...
Exactly what I was going to do.

In fact, the first time I test drove a Q I walked out disappointed (I so wanted to like-a Leica). What went through my mind was, "if only Sony would update the RX1R".

As nothing was happening I decided to put my name down for a Q.

I'm so glad I did not commit. I thought this was one of the better videos showing off the new camera.

LouisB

ohnri

In fact, the first time I test drove a Q I walked out disappointed (I so wanted to like-a Leica). What went through my mind was, "if only Sony would update the RX1R".

I'm so glad I did not commit. I thought this was one of the better videos showing off the new camera.

LouisB
I feel the pull of herd mentality.

I must keep the IF ONLY fully in mind.

If only I did not have the gorgeous 35/1.4

If only I did not have a lovely RX1.

I look forward to seeing the haunting photos posted here so that I can feel I have no choice.

Life without choice is so much easier.

-Bill

V

Vivek

LouisB

I would also love an interchangeable lens equivlent of the RX1RII.

olegkin

A7r2 is only slightly bigger than rx1. There are plenty of 35mm choices there. I think Sony gives plenty of choices camera and lens wise. There is nothing to sacrifice when you make one or other choice. It is easy to adjust to your exact preferences. After all we are talking about niche camera here.

And A7r2+35/1.4 is much smaller combo than Canon 5d*+35/1.4 I used to carry everywhere for years.

dandrewk

I agree with what you are saying, but I also think being "stuck" with this one, awesome lens is a major benefit.

1. It forces me to think photographically from a single focal length perspective, helping to clear up artistic vision.

2. No worries, concerns or agonizing over what lenses to bring.

3. No worries, concerns or agonizing over what lenses to buy.

A part of my current thinking is to ditch the A7 system entirely and simplify things. For someone like myself who does landscape, street and family photography, I wonder if I would ever miss the infinite FL lens choices an interchangeable system brings.

dandrewk

Which leads me to another question.

I also love shooting macro. I see the Rx1's have a macro mode. Has anyone used it? If so, how do you like the results?

V

Vivek

I agree with what you are saying, but I also think being "stuck" with this one, awesome lens is a major benefit.

1. It forces me to think photographically from a single focal length perspective, helping to clear up artistic vision.

A part of my current thinking is to ditch the A7 system entirely and simplify things. For someone like myself who does landscape, street and family photography, I wonder if I would ever miss the infinite FL lens choices an interchangeable system brings.
Once I stick a lens on my NEX or A7 or MM before going out, all these decisions are made. There are no zoomz in the consideration.

I have numerous cameras and hundreds of lenses to choose from. Choice is good. :)

olegkin

It works great. One of the [many] very well executed functions. There is a rotating dial on the lens that allows you to switch between macro and normal mode.

I also love shooting macro. I see the Rx1's have a macro mode. Has anyone used it? If so, how do you like the results?

Lucille

It isn't a true 1:1 macro so you will not get the same results as a true macro, but what it does allow is a very close focus, which can then in turn cause a back ground to turn into butter.

This was shot in macro at f/3.5, the background just melts away, I could have gotten closer but I only wanted to get so close to her, as she wasn't very happy.

dandrewk

Thanks. The vast majority of my Macro is handheld, usually because I'm just to damn lazy to haul a tripod to close quarter situations and then have to squeeze and prostrate myself to frame it right. And then pray like crazy that the wind lets up for just a fraction of a second.

re: The Rx1's Macro dial - is this just a range limiter, or does it slide in/activate a small lens extension for close focus?

Lucille

Thanks. The vast majority of my Macro is handheld, usually because I'm just to damn lazy to haul a tripod to close quarter situations and then have to squeeze and prostrate myself to frame it right. And then pray like crazy that the wind lets up for just a fraction of a second.

re: The Rx1's Macro dial - is this just a range limiter, or does it slide in/activate a small lens extension for close focus?

It is a small lens extension which you can see as you set it.

You will know if you leave it in this mode as the camera will struggle to focus on normal shots. You simply switch it back, quick and easy.

olegkin

I rarely shoot true macro but for close ups without bending over or crawling I usually use either 40-150/2.8 or 100-300/4.0-5.6 on 4/3 camera. Medium size flower will fill a frame easily from a very reasonable distance away. Macro on 35mm lens will require you to get close and personal with the object.

karlfoto

Perhaps in answer to my own question. There is no need for a add on tele convertor.

I noticed when i did a web search that the sony has a built in Smart Telecon option. What i could not find out though was if this has set zoom magnifications, or whether you just use the zoom to create the crop you are looking for up to 2.3x?

Secondly, does this create a zoom box within the main view, or does it actually zoom in on the image?

Does this zoom mode operate when in the 'macro' setting?

Lastly, i read that this does not operate in RAW, is this correct?

With 42mp, and almost 2x zoom would be close to 21mp at 70mm. This would be great, and I hope that it is allowed in RAW if the first versions were not. I suppose one could just shoot it at 35mm in raw and then crop in post, but I always prefer to compose roughly close to the final image size than to make a 2x crop in post.

I also wish that they had the same paint work as the a7rii, and not the semi-gloss that they are using.

Last edited:

raist3d

I agree that being *forced* to use a prime can definitively push you. Too much choice is the enemy of art. I am still mulling it only because I am not mainly a 35mm guy.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

You won't get it. Closes would be the A7RII. You can't make the lens "go inside the body" like the RX1RII precisely because it's a fixed lens. That means you can't have the same size.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Perhaps in answer to my own question. There is no need for a add on tele convertor.

I noticed when i did a web search that the sony has a built in Smart Telecon option. What i could not find out though was if this has set zoom magnifications, or whether you just use the zoom to create the crop you are looking for up to 2.3x?
Smart Telecon is a crop, so no digital scaling. I have been watching over this, but on the previous R1's you can't shoot this in RAW mode or even JPEG + RAW- JPEG only. I really wish Sony allowed this option in RAW shooting at least for live-view composition purposes.

Secondly, does this create a zoom box within the main view, or does it actually zoom in on the image?
From what I read it does zoom in, but you can only shoot JPEG.

Does this zoom mode operate when in the 'macro' setting?

Lastly, i read that this does not operate in RAW, is this correct?

With 42mp, and almost 2x zoom would be close to 21mp at 70mm.
Actually, 10 MP at 70mm. This is because a "2x zoom" gets squared due to X & Y dimensions. So it would be like 42 MP divided by (70mm/35mm) to the power of 2. Roughly 10.5 megapixels. You also will lose a little bit of image quality as you lose re-sampling if you were making the image smaller, but some other aspects of the image quality should hold somewhat.

This would be great, and I hope that it is allowed in RAW if the first versions were not. I suppose one could just shoot it at 35mm in raw and then crop in post, but I always prefer to compose roughly close to the final image size than to make a 2x crop in post.
I am with you on that one.

I also wish that they had the same paint work as the a7rii, and not the semi-gloss that they are using.
- Ricardo