Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 853

Thread: Rx1r2

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Does anyone know whether it has a 50mm crop mode?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    But if you didn't have a Leica Q or current RX1 then this would be a VERY interesting camera.
    maybe but if it handles anything like my A7rII or RX100III it will be a competent camera but lacking the easy of control that the Leica Q has.

  3. #53
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by bipbip View Post
    Does anyone know whether it has a 50mm crop mode?
    It does I believe. They state clear/smart zoom of 1.4x, 2x and digital zoom of 4x, 6.2x & 8x (but you could just crop in post anyway).

    I do like the sound of the new 1:1 and 4:3 image ratios too.

    Ok, that's it, I'm putting this thread on ignore ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia US
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    I'm definitely in for this camera.

    My two biggest complaints about my RX1R is the fiddly EVF (aargh) and the non-tilting screen (double-aargh) - both of which significantly hamper the usability of the camera. I endured these aspects just to get to the magic that the camera is capable of. So, I couldn't avoid this upgrade if I tried - and am really glad Sony is bringing it on...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    They state clear/smart zoom of 1.4x, 2x and digital zoom of 4x, 6.2x & 8x (but you could just crop in post anyway).
    Ah. I was hoping for something like frame lines in the viewfinder, ho hum ...

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    maybe but if it handles anything like my A7rII or RX100III it will be a competent camera but lacking the easy of control that the Leica Q has.
    How so? The Sony has an aperture ring, shutter speed dial and exposure compensation dial. Importantly, the Sony has a tilting LCD screen. The fixed LCD on the Q is next to useless in bright outdoor conditions.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,058
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    This is your lucky day:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arger_for.html
    Have been using this charger with a whole bunch of different battery plates, and it's been great.
    Also a +1. I have plates for about 3 different batteries where each new battery plate costs but $2.

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    big question is what is leica is going to do? sony is going after everybody and leica is the smallest of the bunch, they roll out leica q with 24 meg and sony rolls out a 42 meg with a nice ziess lens that costs less!
    I suspect Leica is going to keep producing Leica cameras, not Sonys. ]'-)

    Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #59
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

    G
    Which is fine because obviously you aren't the target market for this camera. I would think though that anybody who shoots a digital Leica M with just a 35mm lens on it is probably exactly the type of person who this would appeal to and as you can read on this forum that there are quite a few of us who do fall in to the target demographic and either already have such type of camera or want one.

    Unfortunately I am one of those people ... dammit, ordered one today
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #60
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Rx1r2

    Honestly you can be a fanboy of any brand but the end of day Sony is after market share and they are extremely agressive about it. They are after your favorite toy without excuses. You can say what you will but this cam is pointed straight at Leica and it wants to eat it for lunch. For me this makes no sense to buy it but I'm not the targeted audience. For me it's a business case that don't add up real well for the hobbyist on the other hand that wants a camera to run out the door get the same high quality from there A7rII in a tiny package is having folks pee there pants over it. Folks are selling there Sony 35 1.4 to partial fund this and just fit this in the middle of there system. You can piss and moan all you want about Sony even hate them but they are getting in your face with product that at some point you can't deny anymore. I'm seeing on other fora sales of the Older model and the 35 1.4 that are filling the sales broad.

    That speaks volumes. I even think it's priced to high but regardless they are getting ordered. It's about sales folks. I'm a little baffled by it but nice to see a big spark over it. I want one too don't get me wrong, buts more a luxury than a need for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Rx1r2

    Bearing in mind it is for me a surreptitious use camera, one of the pleasures of the RX1 is the tilt EVF - you can appear to be fooling around with the camera, tourist style, while setting up the next shot. And subjects can still see your face. The little popup EVF looks pretty naff, and is not needed as the camera is tiny and would be even with an a7 series style hump.

    I've done whole trips using the RX1 for 50-60% so it definitely works for a broad range of use cases. Quite a few film era greats used a 35mm exclusively. I'm sure this one will deliver the goods big time, best sensor and best 35 lens. Funny they are still worried about moire enough to put in a control, I thought that was one reason behind the 42mp sensor decision? By my count it's Sony's seventh full frame camera in two years - two versions of each a7, now this one. They sure believe in rapid iteration, and even took away the 14 bit RAW moan, took that right off the table. Still make 'imitation cameras' though, according to the self-appointed cognoscenti. ;-)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #62
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Rx1r2

    I'm with Phillip_pj in that I've done quite a number of trips with just my RX1R because I can put it in a wrap and stow it in my laptop backpack. The current RX1R if I'm honest is all the quality I need. The new version with EVF and potentially cleaner high ISO (and ok, I'll take those extra 20mp) pretty much did it for me. The pop up viewfinder is nice too because whilst I live with the current EVF on top (and probably should have just got the optical one), it is a pain to pack as it'll pop off easily and increases the size of the camera.

    As an amateur with no rational reason to justify ANYTHING, I think that it's a winner on paper. I can't imagine it being worse than my current RX1R and I'll have a couple of weeks after it arrives to decide if it's the one to keep or not.

    As Guy and Godfrey both say though, no it won't make sense to a lot of people but to those of us that the current one does, I think that Sony should be applauded for keeping us as a target market even if only to prove out their technology to show what they can do.

    Btw, Sony always used to have completely irrational aspirational products in their camera and consumer electronics lines that were prohibitively expensive, impractical for day to day use, but so very very appealing to anyone who wanted the current state of the art or perhaps even pushed it a little beyond practicality.

    I'd still like the medium format 50mp CMOS version though
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #63
    Senior Member 4season's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Here's a compact full-frame camera with eye level finder and classic lines that I won't be paying for until next spring:



    I don't know about you guys, but I am not finding $3300 in change beneath my sofa cushions. Of course it might help if I owned a sofa (details).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #64
    Senior Member 4season's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by bipbip View Post
    Does anyone know whether it has a 50mm crop mode?
    Wouldn't it be $2500 cheaper just to start with a pre-cropped APS-C camera?

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    No CA
    Posts
    796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    "I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me."

    One reason that tempts me is file consistency, between a larger camera and a smaller one that's a constant companion. Similarly, someone might choose an M240 for purposeful shooting, and Leica Q as a carry-around.

    I have colleagues who've been using both D800e and A7r with same/similar sensors, so they can combine purposeful shooting and 'found images' in the same portfolio. I did pretty much the same thing with M9 and M-E, one in a bag with alternate lenses for landscapes, and the other with a small 40 Cron, to carry most of the time. Now that I use A7rII more than Leica, I'd like my carry-around camera to have the same sensor.

    Maybe I'm fussy about this, but I've tried combining images from different digital bodies in the same projects/portfolios, and I've either had to do a lot of PS work, or I've ended up with differences in tone/rendering that I'd rather not see. Similarly, in years gone by, I wouldn't combine TX and PX images in the same project/portfolio. Just a personal preference, but not a mystery.

    Kirk

  16. #66
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Rx1r2

    Kirk I agree that is one justification I have is it would match my A7rII plus it does serve as a backup if the crap hit the fan. I may still have a cheap 35 for the A7rII but I would sell my 35 1.4 to help fund . It's the extra 2 k that stops me but even as a business case scenario it's a 50 percent not a bad idea. If it was 2400-2700 price tag, I would consider it more. Now that was the Pro talk. Personally I could see taking it everywhere I go and love to have it. But I'm back to I need other stuff more.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  17. #67
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    I just might buy 2 of them.


    Good thing I didn't waste my money on one of those crappy Batis lenses that don't exist.
    the HepKitty
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #68
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I just might buy 2 of them.


    Good thing I didn't waste my money on one of those crappy Batis lenses that don't exist.

    Why 2? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

  19. #69
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    One reason that tempts me is file consistency, between a larger camera and a smaller one that's a constant companion. Similarly, someone might choose an M240 for purposeful shooting, and Leica Q as a carry-around.
    Such a thing does not exist here in Sony land. There is no NEX that is consistent with the FF NEX' that were actually introduced AFTER the RX1.

    Even among the A7 series, every cam outputs different files despite all having crunched up lossy files.

    A P&S cybershot ("stand alone") can accompany any other camera or just be a stand alone.

    The RX2R1 does have a flash shoe. So, use of Nissin (not Sony) flashes are possible, although not all the time.

  20. #70
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Here's a compact full-frame camera with eye level finder and classic lines that I won't be paying for until next spring:

    I don't know about you guys, but I am not finding $3300 in change beneath my sofa cushions. Of course it might help if I owned a sofa (details).
    I am looking for a titanium Contax T equivalent (size wise). The Panasonic GM5, Samsung NX mini (no finder but they are about the same price of an Oly RD1) are contenders. No need for a sofa.

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Wouldn't it be $2500 cheaper just to start with a pre-cropped APS-C camera?
    You're quite right and I did. I've had my a6000 for almost a year and a half now and it's the camera I most use - I still have the old NEX-6 that preceded it but the a6000 in my opinion is better, of course.
    The thing is, coming from full-frame; Nikon F3, D700, I do miss the shallow depth of field. Ah well, I suppose it's not really the rx1rII that I pine for, rather the A7RII ...

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    I will go with whoever produces the camera that fits my needs and that's why at the moment I have the Leica Q and A7rII. The RX1rII is obviously a great camera but it's not for me

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    It does I believe. They state clear/smart zoom of 1.4x, 2x and digital zoom of 4x, 6.2x & 8x (but you could just crop in post anyway).

    I do like the sound of the new 1:1 and 4:3 image ratios too.

    Ok, that's it, I'm putting this thread on ignore ...
    I am also trying to find info on the crop modes but looks like they only allow this when the camera is set to JPEG. What I would love is that the live view/preview/field of view changes to the crop you select even if the camera records the full RAW file.

    The only camera I see doing this right around is the Ricoh GR. This could be a deal breaker for me.

    - Ricardo

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Wouldn't it be $2500 cheaper just to start with a pre-cropped APS-C camera?
    Not if you want the 35/42mp *and* the crop mode.

    - Ricardo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Why would that be a problem considering the high pixel 1", m43 and such sensor cams out there?
    Good point (in particular 1''/20MP).

    - Ricardo

  25. #75
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I am also trying to find info on the crop modes but looks like they only allow this when the camera is set to JPEG. What I would love is that the live view/preview/field of view changes to the crop you select even if the camera records the full RAW file.

    The only camera I see doing this right around is the Ricoh GR. This could be a deal breaker for me.

    - Ricardo

    - - - Updated - - -


    Not if you want the 35/42mp *and* the crop mode.

    - Ricardo
    I think (?) that if you shoot raws plus jpegs, you may get the cropped image in the VF and a full raw, with the crop frame that you can either confirm or change although this may depends upon the raw converter used), then discard the jpeg.

    BTW : the E-M5 does this too.

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Honestly you can be a fanboy of any brand but the end of day Sony is after market share and they are extremely agressive about it. ...
    I'm not really a fanboy of any brand. What benefit to me is the notion that Sony "is after market share and extremely aggressive about it"? I can't see that Sony aggressively obtaining some fancy numbers in market share affects my photography at all.

    I guess if you're after producing poster-sized prints most of the time, the hyper-pixel-count has some benefit. But, you're not going to get the coupling of FoV and DoF that you do with a medium format capture. It's still just going to be a 35mm camera's digital image, albeit at very high resolution.

    I hope all of you who are buying one find it terrific. I'll look forward to seeing all the fantastic photographs, while I sit back on the sidelines and keep doing my thing.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #77
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by bipbip View Post
    You're quite right and I did. I've had my a6000 for almost a year and a half now and it's the camera I most use - I still have the old NEX-6 that preceded it but the a6000 in my opinion is better, of course.
    The thing is, coming from full-frame; Nikon F3, D700, I do miss the shallow depth of field. Ah well, I suppose it's not really the rx1rII that I pine for, rather the A7RII ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm not really a fanboy of any brand. What benefit to me is the notion that Sony "is after market share and extremely aggressive about it"? I can't see that Sony aggressively obtaining some fancy numbers in market share affects my photography at all.

    I guess if you're after producing poster-sized prints most of the time, the hyper-pixel-count has some benefit. But, you're not going to get the coupling of FoV and DoF that you do with a medium format capture. It's still just going to be a 35mm camera's digital image, albeit at very high resolution.

    I hope all of you who are buying one find it terrific. I'll look forward to seeing all the fantastic photographs, while I sit back on the sidelines and keep doing my thing.

    G

    Sorry but that's where your wrong. Without companies going after market share than whatever camera your shooting may not exist. It's all related to market share and stock holder value be it Leica, Nikon, canon or whomever. It's about selling product. That's the business end of it. It's directly related to the camera you have. otherwise it may never have been produced in the first place. You may think it does not effect you but the business end dictates what is made or not.

    You tend to think YOU which is fine but this industry is based on market share or it may never get made.

    I understand the YOU part of it because we all make our choices on what works for you. Key word is choices and without market share driven most of this technology and brand models might never get made.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Rx1r2

    Guy, It is an ever shrinking market.

    The RX1 (new because not many bought them) can now be bought for 1400 Euros instead of the 3500 at its debut.

    RX2R1 will be ~2000 in a few months.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #79
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I suspect Leica is going to keep producing Leica cameras, not Sonys. ]'-)

    Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

    G
    Horse for courses. What floats your boat may not float mine and vice versa. Personally, for what I want a camera to do it is near perfect on paper which is why I want one. Probably not the same as what you want. Sometimes our choices may coincide but that really isn't of great interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I just might buy 2 of them.


    Good thing I didn't waste my money on one of those crappy Batis lenses that don't exist.
    I really did 'LOL' to this. I've so far pre-ordered and cancelled the Batis 25 twice. I'm not convinced there has ever been any supply here in the UK. Zeiss is becoming very Leica-like in this regard. Announce a product and you may get one in 6-9 months if the moon, stars and horoscope are in alignment.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,058
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I am also trying to find info on the crop modes but looks like they only allow this when the camera is set to JPEG. What I would love is that the live view/preview/field of view changes to the crop you select even if the camera records the full RAW file.

    The only camera I see doing this right around is the Ricoh GR. This could be a deal breaker for me.

    - Ricardo

    - - - Updated - - -

    Not if you want the 35/42mp *and* the crop mode.

    - Ricardo
    AFA the Leica Q, it has crop modes like FF 24Mp for 28mm, 15MP for 35mm and 8MP for 50mm. If you change your mind later, one can revert back to the full 24MP 28mm image.

  31. #81
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Thank god this has a 35mm lens (my least favorite focal length). I just might be able to resist.

    The Leica Q, on the other hand, with its lovely 28mm lens, continues to sing its siren song.

  32. #82
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Sorry but that's where your wrong. Without companies going after market share than whatever camera your shooting may not exist. It's all related to market share and stock holder value be it Leica, Nikon, canon or whomever. It's about selling product. That's the business end of it. It's directly related to the camera you have. otherwise it may never have been produced in the first place. You may think it does not effect you but the business end dictates what is made or not.
    I'm a photographer. If there's only one camera made in the world, I'll use that. If there are none, I'd either be making my own or there wouldn't be photography for me to be a photographer and the question would be moot.

    Leica, Nikon, Canon... They all make cameras because they're camera manufacturers. Nikon could have stopped with the F3 and Leica with the M4-P, and that would have been just fine by me. Then all this digital stuff came about.

    Leica has continued to refine their camera products model after model. Are they shooting to take over the industry on market share? I strongly doubt it. They're looking to make a high quality camera and top notch lenses, from which they expect to make a sensible profit. I suspect that Nikon is similar.

    Companies like Sony, if their goal is to dominate the market, will be the undoing of photography. Why? Because they're not really focused on the production of improved cameras to create improved photographs so much as on the output of product to generate more money ... for them, not photographers or photography. They need to sell, sell, sell more and more of them to keep the hamster wheel going. (And they're markedly not doing very well at that in the past couple of years...)

    It's called "financialization" and has destroyed other businesses already. Take airlines ... None give a damn anymore about the quality of the passengers' flying experience, they're more concerned with the hedging of fuel, the manipulation of holdings, and stuffing planes as full as possible with passenger cattle to maximize profits ... As a result, many travelers now fly less than they might.

    Is this what you prefer to happen in photographic equipment? More and more "hot features" every three months rather than persistent, incremental development to make the equipment you use work more seamlessly, more effectively, and make your work as a photographer better, more productive, more nuanced and expressive? Oh, some of the 'hot new fearures' may help, for sure, but with every round of these things I hear many of the same complaints iterated over, and over, and over again, generation after generation of latest hot camera.

    I'm truly tired of it all.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

    RX2R1 will be ~2000 in a few months.
    Oh, I do so hope you're right!

  34. #84
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Thank god this has a 35mm lens (my least favorite focal length). I just might be able to resist.

    The Leica Q, on the other hand, with its lovely 28mm lens, continues to sing its siren song.
    Mike, Without its lens correction the R2X1R may be close to a 28mm.

    The Q would be even wider.

  35. #85
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Why 2? TIA.


    I often bring my family with me on our photo adventures around the State, and I often put some cutting edge technology in the hands of my grand children. We often shoot as a family.
    I like teaching the young ones how to see the World through a 35mm perspective.


    That and the other reason, because the Hepkitty can!
    the HepKitty
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #86
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

    Companies like Sony, if their goal is to dominate the market, will be the undoing of photography. Why? Because they're not really focused on the production of improved cameras to create improved photographs so much as on the output of product to generate more money ... for them, not photographers or photography. They need to sell, sell, sell more and more of them to keep the hamster wheel going. (And they're markedly not doing very well at that in the past couple of years...)

    And as good ol Sony is 'undoing' photography, I will be having a blast with their products.

    Keep undoing Sony, I have my pom pom's on and I'll be with you all the way to the bottom.
    the HepKitty
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Rx1r2

    If anyone thinks Leica is not after market share than your very sadly mistaken. Shareholders want profit. Sony is selling everything they make. Sure a few mistakes along the way but I'll stick with a company that keeps giving me these options and keeps adding lenses to there line to grow it. These are products that I can afford not second mortgage my home.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #88
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    And as good ol Sony is 'undoing' photography, I will be having a blast with their products.

    Keep undoing Sony, I have my pom pom's on and I'll be with you all the way to the bottom.
    Leica rebadging Panasonic's cameras with a red dot for a higher price tag is undoing photography. Them rebadging Olympus EVF and selling it for an atrocious price is undoing photography. Lenny Scratched edition is undoing... well the list is endless.

  39. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I think (?) that if you shoot raws plus jpegs, you may get the cropped image in the VF and a full raw, with the crop frame that you can either confirm or change although this may depends upon the raw converter used), then discard the jpeg.

    BTW : the E-M5 does this too.
    Hi Anna - it looks like according to the manuals I am seeing, you can't engage smart zoom on the Sony if you have RAW or JPEG + RAW. Also the E-M5 doesn't do what I am asking- the E-M5 will do this when you choose different aspect ratios. What I am asking is different crop modes for different fields of view.

    The Ricoh GR does this and the RAW is written so that when you open it in most raw converters it opens with ONLY the crop from the get go - and this is a workflow time saver though I am ok if it record the entire RAW as long as I can compose in "50mm, 70mm" fields of view on the live view.

    - Ricardo

  40. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm not really a fanboy of any brand. What benefit to me is the notion that Sony "is after market share and extremely aggressive about it"? I can't see that Sony aggressively obtaining some fancy numbers in market share affects my photography at all.

    I guess if you're after producing poster-sized prints most of the time, the hyper-pixel-count has some benefit. But, you're not going to get the coupling of FoV and DoF that you do with a medium format capture. It's still just going to be a 35mm camera's digital image, albeit at very high resolution.

    I hope all of you who are buying one find it terrific. I'll look forward to seeing all the fantastic photographs, while I sit back on the sidelines and keep doing my thing.

    G
    I don't understand this post. Nobody is suggesting you should buy an R1RMKII or that you shouldn't stop doing your thing. You sure like your Leica and someone could have made the exact same comment. There's more uses to the 42 MP than just doing hyper poster printing. For me it's about having more focal lengths in a compact single lens prime camera.

    - Ricardo

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I suspect Leica is going to keep producing Leica cameras, not Sonys. ]'-)

    Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

    G
    That's exactly what some people say of buying a Leica. (note: that's not me, just making a point).

    - Ricardo

  41. #91
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    In honor if this occasion and the Sony undoing of photography, here is a image from the original Rx1 captured at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park.








    I look forward to the Rx1R mII.
    the HepKitty
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    AFA the Leica Q, it has crop modes like FF 24Mp for 28mm, 15MP for 35mm and 8MP for 50mm. If you change your mind later, one can revert back to the full 24MP 28mm image.
    That's the kind of thing I am looking for. I want to see the R1RMKII with this.

    - Ricardo

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    In honor if this occasion and the Sony undoing of photography, here is a image from the original Rx1 captured at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park.








    I look forward to the Rx1R mII.

    Thanks Lucille, a gorgeous image! More, please.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #94
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Lucille, a gorgeous image! More, please.


    Thanks for the compliment, I Don't like sitting on the sidelines, I'd rather be on the front line, doing my thing!



    Sony Rx1, 35mm Zeiss f/5, ISO200, 1/1000sec
    the HepKitty
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    If anyone thinks Leica is not after market share than your very sadly mistaken. Shareholders want profit. Sony is selling everything they make. Sure a few mistakes along the way but I'll stick with a company that keeps giving me these options and keeps adding lenses to there line to grow it. These are products that I can afford not second mortgage my home.
    If Sony is selling everything they make, why are there so many new Sony RX1r cameras available? Never mind A7, A7r, etc?

    Leica is the only camera company currently operating at its production capacity, and it is privately held... no public shareholders... with the highest profits currently in the industry. They're not really going for market share; they're expanding and opening markets for Leica products with new products. Not the same thing at all. They're playing a smart game, where Sony is just replacing their own products, over and over again, on too short a cycle.

    This is why the Sony strategy ultimately fails. Most buyers don't want to be told ten months later that their state of the art joy is now yesterday's junk. I'm sure I don't. And to appeal to repurchasers enough to get them to open their wallets, Sony has to do something wackily over the top on every cycle with no real time for proper development.

    They've seemingly really sold you and many others on this damaged product strategy. Sony's profitability has been in the toilet for several years. How long do you think they can keep it up at this rate?

    G

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    In honor if this occasion and the Sony undoing of photography, here is a image from the original Rx1 captured at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park.



    I look forward to the Rx1R mII.
    Lovely photo. What about this photo will be improved by your new RX1r II?

    G

  47. #97
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Lovely photo. What about this photo will be improved by your new RX1r II?

    G


    I don't know, but I am going to love finding out.

    I think the image would be a bit cleaner on the new RX1R II, but I won't really know until I shoot with it and see the files on my big screen. I would also expect it to be sharper and I am not one to crop but with the 42mp I have some room here if needed.

    One thing is for sure, with the new RX1R II I will have a easier time framing the shot due to the view finder and the flippy lcd screen.
    the HepKitty

  48. #98
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Lovely photo. What about this photo will be improved by your new RX1r II?

    G
    Isn't it the old adage that "it is the camera you have with you that get's the shot?".

    I often pick up my Ricoh GR in preference to my A7 series because it is so small and as a result have some satisfying (to me, at least) results. Likewise, looking back through my portfolio I have some great RX1 shots because it was a no-brainer to pop it into my backpack on the way to work.

    Just my two cents.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Hi Anna - it looks like according to the manuals I am seeing, you can't engage smart zoom on the Sony if you have RAW or JPEG + RAW. Also the E-M5 doesn't do what I am asking- the E-M5 will do this when you choose different aspect ratios. What I am asking is different crop modes for different fields of view.

    The Ricoh GR does this and the RAW is written so that when you open it in most raw converters it opens with ONLY the crop from the get go - and this is a workflow time saver though I am ok if it record the entire RAW as long as I can compose in "50mm, 70mm" fields of view on the live view.

    - Ricardo
    My bad, I had precise recollection of the E-M5 and assumed that the E-M5II would do the same. Too bad that simple trick isn't available for the Sony.

    Note : there are different actors at work here; a) the camera has to take in the full raw whatever format is chosen (Panasonic for instance doesn't record the full raw on the card, but Olympus does). b) the raw converter has to keep the whole raw without cropping. This was the case of C1 which offered you the full raw, with cropping marks for the chosen format. At the beginning, for Olympus bodies, LR wasn't offering that possiblity. It has been added later as it was a general request.

    I have to see how all that work for the E-M5II.

  50. #100
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rx1r2

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I don't know, but I am going to love finding out.

    I think the image would be a bit cleaner on the new RX1R II, but I won't really know until I shoot with it and see the files on my big screen. I would also expect it to be sharper and I am not one to crop but with the 42mp I have some room here if needed.

    One thing is for sure, with the new RX1R II I will have a easier time framing the shot due to the view finder and the flippy lcd screen.
    Good luck with all of that. I hope it turns out to be everything you expect and desire. I really do. :-)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •