Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx1r2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx1r2

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    No. I have many questions as to why people are so excited.

G
    I can only state that for myself I like using fixed lens digital cameras, e.g. Ricoh GR and Sigma DPxMs.

I did own a RX1 and regretted selling it soon after I had because there was no 35mm lens for the Sony A7 series that I liked. I've been considering a s/h RX1 for many months but hesitated because of the rumours of something improved on the horizon.

I finally cracked and put in an order for a Leica Q coming to the conclusion that Sony were abandoning the RX1 format. Now they have shown they haven't and I can order one as soon as the it opens here in the UK.

That is why I am excited. And having waited I will get an EVF, articulating screen and bigger opportunity to crop (and possibly better high iso).

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    That is why I am excited. And having waited I will get an EVF, articulating screen and bigger opportunity to crop (and possibly better high iso).

LouisB
    Louis, I will add to that the possibility to flash synch to 1/2000s. More than the presence of the EVF, I am glad that the hideous pop up flash is gone.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I spent the grand amount of $650 for a new Polaroid SX-70 with rebuilt electronics and calibrated for 600 film a few weeks ago. Called the SLR670a by MiNT. It's making beautiful photographs for me, clearly my best performing Polaroid, and I'm very enthused about what I can do with it. But of course it's no umpteen bazigapixel AF Zeiss-lensed whirligig that can make movies and 40x60 inch prints without breathing hard. It just makes beautiful little photographs when I point it in the right direction and press the button at the right time...

I'm sure no one here cares at all, but as a photographer's tool it has the spontaneity and connection between me and my subjects that I hope the Sony WunderMachin gives to all the aspiring Sonyista.

G
    There are "passéistes" in all human activities :-)

That said, I would never never again get me a camera with a single fixed focal length, whatever it is. Neither one with a bad all round fixed zoom. I want the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. So no the Rx1m2 isn't tempting me (it's only advantage is its small size).

Things are a bit different when it comes to the A7r2.
    A) I'm tempted by some of the new improvements : better AF, IBIS, slightly improved sensor, silent shooting, electronic first curtain shutter, less noisy shutter with respect to the A7r even in normal shooting mode. And better support for the legacy lenses both for focusing and corners sharpness/vignetting (Contax G lenses in particular).

B) I'm split concerning its ergonomics. Some buttons may be better positioned, but I don't like the increased size. In fact I have few complaints with the A7r ergonomics (aside of the menus that are ill organized). And I'm split about the increased resolution : it will create a supplementary burden on the computer and NAS server, while I don't need it for what I do. But it will allow more cropping, replacing longer lenses in some situations. At the price of the A7r, I may have upgraded : the balance of advantages and drawbacks favors that.

C) What is refraining me from upgrading right now is the steep increase in price. I got the A7r some five-six months after its announcement for about the equivalent of 2100$ (8% VAT included), but the best price I can find for the A7r2 is of 3549$ (8% VAT included). If it was costing 1000$ less, I would probably get one, in spite of B) but keep the A7r for those cases where I want to go light. As is I have decided to wait until well after Christmas season in order to see whether I could get a lower price. But I bet that they will hold prices high for quite a while and that the next iteration will come later than the first one. As a side note : there seems to be plenty of A7r2 in stock here, unlike the A7r which was rather difficult to get to in 2013-2014. Sony said they were surprised by the success of the A7r, may be they hadn't produced enough ? Or the A7r2 is priced too high and stays on the shelves. People often got the A7r as a second light system, but with its increased price and size, it is rather a call for a system change. And inducing people to switch from a whole system to another is much more difficult that convincing them to get a second light camera. So hopefully the price will come down in a few months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    No worries, we just reached Godfrey's usual stress level whenever people get carryed away by a new toy.
    One needs somebody who cools down consumers to relativize their wettest dreams. It wan't help though

I would probably buy this camera and the A7rII as well and oh not to forget the new A7s and all the new Sony's, Milvius's, Otus's and Batis's
    lenses if money was growing on my back but unfortunatly it isn't. I congratulate everybody who does.
    Leica isn't in my dreams, thank god.

Pricewise Sony is upgrading itself direction Leica, justifyed by the fact that they are a lot more innovating as the rest.
    I think that he is trying to convince himself as much as the others. Didn't he get an A7 for his Leica R lenses for a while ? He succumbs to GAS just as much as others here. And GAS can be very contagious in those forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Face recognition, eye based focus setting ... "Just push the button and the camera gets it all right for you!" (...from the Sony website)

How involving. What glorious Photography...!
    I'll pass. Sorry, no interest...

G
    You have (or had ?) the same thing on the OM-D E-M1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    thats ok, but we both love making images so I enjoy your posts and images nonetheless.
    These discussions here are just banter. In the end I think any of us could use most cameras but when you have choice we like to talk.
    Not for bragging rights but in reality, it is a very useful tool to me. A hacked Sony A7- shoots only in Ultraviolet.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like Jerome I use the EVF and it's the weak spot on the RX1R and vulnerable even compared to the pop up flash.

That said, zero failures. The rubber eyepiece however is easy to lose but that just takes buying a couple of spares.

My RX1R II is pseudo justified by being able to consolidate my A7II, A7s and RX1R towards the new v2. It seems like a good clean up exercise and the same sensor and better lens than my A7R II and the 35/2.8 (great lens btw - almost glued to my A7s as a go anywhere outfit).

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 17th October 2015 at 11:47.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the most expensive part of this camera is the 60" wide swath Epson Designjet Z6800 printer you'll need for it.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    I'm glad this thread has got past a brief snarky stage and has become peaceful again. It's actually caused me to reflect on what I expect from a camera!

Because of its technical innovations – slight to some, more important to others – those who've posted here have naturally focused on the camera's electronic features like autofocus, EVF, presence/absence of image stabilization, etc. But while the tech specifications look promising, it still matters a lot to me how a camera feels in my hands. The 'RX2' would have to pass a feeling/fondling test. The sensor in my A7rII really impresses me and makes me interested in the new Sony as a constant-companion or carry-around camera to match my larger one. But I'd have to handle one to know.

I've felt really really just right with only two cameras, M4 and Rollei TLR. These seemed custom-made (in their different ways) to match my eyes, hands, body, and points-of-view. The M4 in particular came to feel like a material extension of my body and vision.

Turning to digital, I tried DSLRs and regarded them as functional but overbearing, looking and feeling like military-grade weaponry. Then everything changed when a friend suggested we have lunch so she could show me her new discovery, an M8. She predicted this would be the most expensive lunch I'd ever eaten. She was right – I handled it and bonded.

The M8/M9/MM/M-E have felt to me like slightly paunchy versions of a perfect camera, perhaps because of years of muscle-memory about how to hold and use them and how to focus via rangefinder. And I've persisted with them beyond the point, perhaps, of financial sense and practicality, largely because they've felt right to me. I've recently tried other cameras (X100s and A7), but I couldn't get a feel for them. I fired the Fuji in happy little bursts but felt like I was blowing my sense of care and discipline. The A7 seemed good enough as long as I was deluded into thinking it would work well with most Leica lenses. But it never felt right to me.

Now I'm using the A7rII for landscapes, on a tripod with L-bracket, MATE, and WATE, and a couple of other lenses. Thus encumbered, I suppose no camera feels too awkward, and what I love are the files. This is why I'd be interested in pairing it with an RX2. But the latter will have to fit my body, hand, and eye, well enough for me to stop missing Leicas.

Maybe everyone else was assuming that these factors of feeling and bonding were part of the picture, but only those who've been using RX1s would know about these matters ahead of time.

Kirk

PS, Whoops, while I was writing this Guy and others got upset, above and below. Or was the ban tongue-in-cheek? I rather like Sonyista – it has a prettier sound than Leicaphile.

Please reconsider exiling Godfrey – he's already bowed out of this thread, and his posts and images are always interesting.
    Kirk
    Had an A7R for a few weeks and sent it back. I bought it because I had earlier "bonded" with my RX-1, but only after combining it with the RRS grip which helped a lot for walking around with it. The same for my M where I like the feel of using a grip with it.

We are all different, but some have found the added grip gives it a "cozier" feel in the hand. Something to consider if getting and RX-1-any model.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Louis, I will add to that the possibility to flash synch to 1/2000s. More than the presence of the EVF, I am glad that the hideous pop up flash is gone.
    Oh, I had not really realized that.

I use built in fill flash often whenever I am lucky enough to have it on a camera.

Pity that Sony seems to be moving away from that direction.

My Samsung NX1 has a tasty pop up flash which I use to great effect.

Not that such a small thing would stop me from using as fine a machine as the RX1r2.

And I do have a Sony flash which is only about twice the size of the whole camera.

-Bill
    Last edited by ohnri; 17th October 2015 at 06:54.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nissin I40 is a nice little flash that works really nice. Should fit this camera pretty well. I do like the pop up kind too. It's actually useful
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    My justified fear is about the EVF and the tilt-screen.
    With regard to the tilt-screen I wouldn't worry too much. I've used an a6000 almost every day for a year and a half and mostly flipping the screen down for shooting à la TLR and flipping it back up to put the camera back in my jacket pocket and nothing adverse has ever happened to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    We are all quite different...
    I'm not ---- [variation on an old Monty Python joke].

............. Chris
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    I'm not ---- [variation on an old Monty Python joke].

............. Chris
    Oh, no. Here we go with the Life of Brian jokes...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading this article http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...r-shot-rx1r-2/ I have the question what are the inherent advantages of the Rx1r2 with its builtin lens versus the ILC A7r2. For the Rx1r2 the article lists:

• Alignment precision down to the micron level for lens and sensor
    • Fixed 35mm F2 Zeiss Sonnar T* lens, delivers sharper images, from the center and out to the corners.
    • In-lens shutter rather than focal plane shutter
    • 1/2000-sec flash synch speed
    • Significant reduction in overall body size
    • Optical variable low-pass filter

On the downside it lists:

• No IBIS
    • No 4K video

Lucille certainly made a convincing case for the Rx1r/2 earlier in this thread.
    On the other hand the A7r2 enables use of rangefinder lenses, in particular when it's modified by Kolari.

I guess this is an apples and oranges comparison.
    The two systems seem to serve quite different purposes.
    However, they overlap for 35 mm focal length.

So, my question then is which 35 mm IC lens would compete IQ-wise with the fixed 35mm F2 Zeiss Sonnar T*?
    For native FE and AF there seems to be only one, the Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens.

I wonder though how images shot with those two lenses compare?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H
    Perhaps a stupid question, but was does Kolari do for you and did you have something done to a brand new camera? If so, why?

To me the form factor is just wonderful with the Rx-1 I have. The new pop up EVF does worry me too. I have never had a single problem with the clip on EVF. All that said, just not having to worry about carrying an external EVF (I forget to pack them from time to time) might be a good reason to get the new model, not to mention all the obvious other positives for getting it. On the downside no IBIS with 42MP worries me as I am no longer a steady shooter.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    K-H
    Perhaps a stupid question, but was does Kolari do for you and did you have something done to a brand new camera? If so, why?

To me the form factor is just wonderful with the Rx-1 I have. The new pop up EVF does worry me too. I have never had a single problem with the clip on EVF. All that said, just not having to worry about carrying an external EVF (I forget to pack them from time to time) might be a good reason to get the new model, not to mention all the obvious other positives for getting it. On the downside no IBIS with 42MP worries me as I am no longer a steady shooter.
    Thanks Lou, please have a look here. Kolari Mod's Improvements: A Summary of Tests - FM Forums
    In short, Kolari replaces the sensor cover glass with a thinner coated one so that rangefinder lenses work better on A7/s/r/2 cameras.
    So far I have not had any of my A7r/2 cameras modified - but I am thinking about it.
    An open question is, for example, how much would native FE lenses suffer through such a modification, for example the Batis 25/2.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    On the downside no IBIS with 42MP worries me as I am no longer a steady shooter.
    In my mind the amount of camera shake visible will only depend on the output size (screen or print) and not on the amount of MP's of the sensor. You might be able to see more shake when pixel peeping at 1:1 but I don't think that's very relevant for the quality of the final output.

As a general comment, seeing Ron Pfister's excellent shots with the RX100M3 in the "Fun with Sony" thread I would much rather have that in my back-pocket to take anywhere vs. a slightly larger fixed focal length camera like the RX1rII. I know this is a very personal preference, but I think most of the comments in this thread are that way
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    After reading this article http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...r-shot-rx1r-2/ I have the question what are the inherent advantages of the Rx1r2 with its builtin lens versus the ILC A7r2. For the Rx1r2 the article lists:

• Alignment precision down to the micron level for lens and sensor
    • Fixed 35mm F2 Zeiss Sonnar T* lens, delivers sharper images, from the center and out to the corners.
    • In-lens shutter rather than focal plane shutter
    • 1/2000-sec flash synch speed
    • Significant reduction in overall body size
    • Optical variable low-pass filter

On the downside it lists:

• No IBIS
    • No 4K video

Lucille certainly made a convincing case for the Rx1r/2 earlier in this thread.
    On the other hand the A7r2 enables use of rangefinder lenses, in particular when it's modified by Kolari.

I guess this is an apples and oranges comparison.
    The two systems seem to serve quite different purposes.
    However, they overlap for 35 mm focal length.

So, my question then is which 35 mm IC lens would compete IQ-wise with the fixed 35mm F2 Zeiss Sonnar T*?
    For native FE and AF there seems to be only one, the Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens.

I don't own the Zeiss FE 35mm f/1.4, but I do own the Zeiss 35 f/2.8 and I think that lens sucks. Yes you can get a good image, but the RX1 destroys it. I bought this lens when I 1st got my A7 as I adore 35mm, it didn;t take long out all to figure out this lens didn't suit me at all, in fact my is for sale. Others may love it, I find it lifeless, boring at any aperture or setting.

I ranted about it here and also loaded some images using it, so nobody could say I have a bad copy.

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/14131/
    the HepKitty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't own the Zeiss FE 35mm f/1.4, but I do own the Zeiss 35 f/2.8 and I think that lens sucks. Yes you can get a good image, but the RX1 destroys it. I bought this lens when I 1st got my A7 as I adore 35mm, it didn;t take long out all to figure out this lens didn't suit me at all, in fact my is for sale. Others may love it, I find it lifeless, boring at any aperture or setting.

I ranted about it here and also loaded some images using it, so nobody could say I have a bad copy.

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/14131/
    The 35/1.4 Distagon is much better optically than the 35/2.8. Completely different leagues IMO.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just to pitch my vote in - maybe again-

I *LOVE* The R1R MKII has a retractable EVF along with tillable LCD. I shoot a lot from looking an LCD and I want the option to make the camera more pocketable for storage. To me hiding/popping out the EVF works for that intent.

The thing I am hoping Sony does is ability to use the smart tele converter (found the specific feature finally) shooting in RAW. That they show a 50mm and 70mm equivalent live view for composition even if they capture the entire RAW.

So far from what I have gathered the R1's out there do this only in JPEG mode only, not even RAW+JPEG. This for me would be a deal breaker because I would be shooting a lot at 50mm equivalent also.

Crossing my fingers.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

To the list of advantages K-H posted, I would add that the whole design of a lens can be very different when it is the only lens the imaging system will use. The RX-1 lens has a huge rear element sitting very close to the sensor, no doubt with good reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I just handled a Sony Rx1r2.

The pop up EVF seemed quite sturdy enough to me and appears to be a massive improvement over the clip on EVF for the RX1.

I wonder more about whether it is a conduit to dust entry than its mechanical stability.

The AF was also much improved.

Not easy to not buy.

The new A7s2 is also super. It feels like the other Mark 2 models. A very solid, nice body that is packing a ton of technology.

I looked at the 55/1.8 and Loxia 50 2.0 and the Rokinon 50/1.5

The MF on the Loxia is crazy. Smooth like melted butter and easy as summer heat.

The 55 works with the great AF but is more clinical.

The Rokinon is inexpensive, video centric and seemed like an awfully good value.

An embarrassment of riches.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    The MF on the Loxia is crazy. Smooth like melted butter and easy as summer heat.
    Yep. Quite by chance I tried one out in a shop this morning and it's certainly a marvellous piece of engineering and a pleasure to focus with - the instant onscreen or EVF magnification is magical. A little heavy on an a6000 but I'd say perfect on the a7 bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I recall, Zeiss made the Loxia lenses primarily for use with the A7 series cameras so it sounds like another nice addition to the line up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post

Sony claims that because the lens is mated to the sensor - and we are talking physically mated, not "matched", the tolerances cannot be duplicated by an interchangeable mount, similar to how some have claimed that adapters add variances that degrade IQ on some level.

The edge performance of the RX1RII is said to be truly remarkable.

We'll all see soon enough if those claims are accurate. I have both the original RX1 and the FE 35/1.4 and find them both wonderful but with unique character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My interest is the 35mm difference but more so the fun factor. As I said in another thread I'm a little bored and just looking for something to get my butt out the door. This looks like fun to me and would not mind having one. Makes little ROI sense for my business but I have done stupid purchases before too. lol

Christmas is coming and so is a birthday. Well no one is buying me this. Looks like a self present. But I'm getting that Loxia 21 first
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Sony claims that because the lens is mated to the sensor - and we are talking physically mated, not "matched", the tolerances cannot be duplicated by an interchangeable mount, similar to how some have claimed that adapters add variances that degrade IQ on some level.

The edge performance of the RX1RII is said to be truly remarkable.

We'll all see soon enough if those claims are accurate.
    Regardless of the "claims" I have decided to get one.

When is another question.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You sir are a prefect candidate for one as this looks to be a very powerful discreet street cam and with the tilt screen and fast AF. It could be one of the best type cameras for that genre. Being a fixed lens I do like the fact that it is 42mpx as you can do wonders in post with cropping and not lose much at all.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you getting one soon? If so, will love to see your famous street images taken with it. Also will value your comments on how it converts to B&W.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You sir are a prefect candidate for one as this looks to be a very powerful discreet street cam and with the tilt screen and fast AF. It could be one of the best type cameras for that genre. Being a fixed lens I do like the fact that it is 42mpx as you can do wonders in post with cropping and not lose much at all.
    Thank you, Sir!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My interest is the 35mm difference but more so the fun factor. As I said in another thread I'm a little bored and just looking for something to get my butt out the door. This looks like fun to me and would not mind having one. Makes little ROI sense for my business but I have done stupid purchases before too. lol

Christmas is coming and so is a birthday. Well no one is buying me this. Looks like a self present. But I'm getting that Loxia 21 first

Guy, when my rx1r II comes in you are welcome to play with my fabulous rx1r gratis

btw, seriously, pm me. As much as I know that the m2 will be better, the v1 is frickin awesome.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 18th October 2015 at 08:54.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Sir!
    Just so you know your on for enlightening us wanna be's. Can't wait to see some images from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Guy, when my rx1r II comes in you are welcome to play with my fabulous rx1r gratis

btw, seriously, pm me. As much as I know that the m2 will be better, the v1 is frickin awesome.
    I would love to play around with it. The dang lens seems amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

I would love to play around with it. The dang lens seems amazing

Okay I have to watch the Cardinals eat the Steelers for breakfast. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

What is Digital Image Stabilization??
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.s1 View Post
    What is Digital Image Stabilization??
    On the Leica Q Overgaard recommends not using it for stills, but only for video. It is Leica's answer to IBIS, but not very useful IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

I really loved my RX-1 when I had it. Used it almost exclusively. Was going to wait for what happened with RX-1r II before I got the A7rII to see if they went with a zoom. If it was a 24-70 on that little body that would have been all I needed. Very happy now I didn't wait.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    If it was a 24-70 on that little body that would have been all I needed. Very happy now I didn't wait.
    Ooh, no! An f/2 24-70 would have been triple the size of the body ...

Post Thanks / Like

2.8 would be plenty for me with ISO capability of the Sony sensor.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Sticking with the Leica Q. Easy choice.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Sony would cost less than trading up my Mamiya DF to the new XF but who cares ? Gotta have the XF ! (Back ordered). I could see the Sony for a backup but it's not the priority

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A 42mp compact camera with (one assumes) a great lens, and great features. Honestly, price aside, what's not to like? As a travel / street camera, it is a compelling proposition.

i definitely want one.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    A 42mp compact camera with (one assumes) a great lens, and great features. Honestly, price aside, what's not to like? As a travel / street camera, it is a compelling proposition.

i definitely want one.
    What is not too like ? It has only a single fixed focal length and at that one I dislike because it remembers me of the film compacts I was using before getting my first interchangeable lenses body (a Contax G1/2). 35mm is always too short or too long. It was too long to take pictures of monuments or buildings and too short to take portraits.. I started photography with a 38mm compact and getting an ILC was a liberation I'm not ready to give up. (Sorry for intruding here, but I couldn't resist answering your question).

BTW, If I want to go light, I will pick the E-M5II and two Panasonic pancakes : 14mm F2.5 and 20mm F1.7 or the 12-40mm F2.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    BTW, If I want to go light, I will pick the E-M5II and two Panasonic pancakes : 14mm F2.5 and 20mm F1.7 or the 12-40mm F2.8
    After getting a taste of FF, I could not go back to the tiny format (i did try).

(Even the NEX is far better.)

Post Thanks / Like

What is not too like ? It has only a single fixed focal length and at that one I dislike because it remembers me of the film compacts I was using before getting my first interchangeable lenses body (a Contax G1/2). 35mm is always too short or too long. It was too long to take pictures of monuments or buildings and too short to take portraits.. I started photography with a 38mm compact and getting an ILC was a liberation I'm not ready to give up. (Sorry for intruding here, but I couldn't resist answering your question).

After getting a taste of FF, I could not go back to the tiny format (i did try).

(Even the NEX is far better.)

the EM5 and the 14mm f/2.5 is a great combo, I love this pancake, my favorite micro 4/3rds lens.

I have no problem go back and forth with Full Frame, Micro 4/3rds, and the 1 inch sensor found in my Rx100 mIII, I just love shooting, and I'll shoot with anything, even a cell phone.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the EM5 and the 14mm f/2.5 is a great combo, I love this pancake, my favorite micro 4/3rds lens.

I have no problem go back and forth with Full Frame, Micro 4/3rds, and the 1 inch sensor found in my Rx100 mIII, I just love shooting, and I'll shoot with anything, even a cell phone.
    That warms my heart that enthusiasm. Hopefully it will rub off

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love shooting as well, also with whatever I carry (which does not include a m43 nowadays and it never has been a cell phone).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I can only state that for myself I like using fixed lens digital cameras, e.g. Ricoh GR and Sigma DPxMs.

I did own a RX1 and regretted selling it soon after I had because there was no 35mm lens for the Sony A7 series that I liked. I've been considering a s/h RX1 for many months but hesitated because of the rumours of something improved on the horizon.

I finally cracked and put in an order for a Leica Q coming to the conclusion that Sony were abandoning the RX1 format. Now they have shown they haven't and I can order one as soon as the it opens here in the UK.

LouisB
    Go on Louis go for the Q I think you will be surprised by how good it is. The only thing I would like form the Sony is an articulating screen but apart from that of me at least the Q is my ideal camera

Post Thanks / Like

I still find the Sony RX1R MKII lighter of these two solutions. 12-40 F2.8 is as big if not bigger than the depth of the RX1R MKII for starters. And the Sony with the 42mp can allow cropping to cover other focal ranges.

But certainly, if you don't like a prime and don't like 35mm, then the RX1's aren't for you. For me I am only thinking about it because of the cropping due to extra resolution. I prefer a 50mm focal. The first R1's you could so some of that but not to the extent of this one.

The 2nd reason is I like shooting at night a lot and this bigger sensor would do better than the Oly's here. But still undecided. I will have to see how big the R1 really is when I see it. I saw the first once but it was some time ago.

- Ricardo