Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Rx1r2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx1r2

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Thank you for the nice compliment. The thing about it, the Rx1 makes these kind of captures easy, and they happen on a regular basis.
    And even easier with the tilty-flippy screen, which is an essential addition, imho.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I could have gotten closer but I only wanted to get so close to her, as she wasn't very happy.
    I appreciate the sentiment in "to HER" --"creepy crawly" (unluvable baddies) so commonly given as "him"s--, but had the opposite gender come to mind here for both the seeming leggy thin proportions AND the daylight jaunt --more typical of males? (Though I read somewhere that it's a decade before gender is readily evident.) Had one (or similar) as a pet, in a different age; then one of those orange-legged ones for a long time, and so gentle.) How nice a photo, and that you thought to do that and not grab a killing implement ... .

-d.
    Last edited by drofnad; 30th October 2015 at 21:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I asked a rep at Sony if the EVF cavity represented an egress point for dust and his answer was "no less than the pop-up flash on the original".
    Maybe it's a fanciful perspective --and not diction--, to see of-what-we-are-made (dust) escaping reality into imagery, with a happily matching answer ("no less than"), but I think that the intent was "an ingress point" & "no more than" ! But the fanciful trip is fun.
    -d.

Post Thanks / Like

Those of you with the Rx1: Is an add-on grip necessary? Do you have one?

Amazon has a bundle deal, the Fotodiox grip + lens hood for $100. I already know I want a hood. Not sure about a grip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post

Amazon has a bundle deal, the Fotodiox grip + lens hood for $100. I already know I want a hood. Not sure about a grip.
    I find the Fotodiox grip improves the handling 10 fold of my RX1r - so for me, yes absolutely worth it. I have a cheap eBay hood that was similar to the Fotodiox hood, but i find myself not really using it. So for me, grip yes, hood no. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

The camera is front heavy and desperately needs a grip.

And a soft-release button is also recommended. It enables me to shoot with 1-1.5 stops worth of slower shutter speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing some Bokeh tests with the FE35/2.8 + A7rII.

I does well when stopped down (7.1) for a landscape type shot:

Going to F2.8 for tight focus... not so good. Very bad bokeh, imo:

Last edited by dandrewk; 1st November 2015 at 11:05.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is better with a grip. I use the RRS L bracket with grip if I expect to use the RX1R on a tripod plus it's basically body armor! For a smaller set up I use the Garitz case which has a small grip built in. Without anything the camera is a bit 'slippery slab' IMHO.

Never needed a soft release though plus I always seem to lose them anyway.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the new camera is just a hair larger. I emailed Fotodiox about compatibility. I'll post their response.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old RRS L plate that was made for the Panasonic G1, but it fits my RX1R perfectly. Full access to battery and SD card.

Last edited by scho; 1st November 2015 at 15:38.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    That just about put me over the edge right there. Luckily the next few months are my(me, I can actually put gear money aside from prying eyes) money months. I will sell my 35 1.4 and get this. I know I said it does not make the best business sense and looking back at the beginning of this thread 4 or 5 folks said no than ordered it. I maybe joining them. Here is the thing outside the extra 2000 dollars buying and selling the 35. 1.4

Here are the Pros.

Maybe the best 35mm lens i can get my hands on
    Exactly the same sensor as my A7rII so my files will be identical
    Same AF module built in
    Same uncompressed file
    I can use my current Nissin and my studio strobes
    Backup to my system
    Serve as my 35mm lens
    Serve as my get my *** out the door and go shoot. I actually need this one for my head. You get lazy after 40 years
    My vacation camera which when I bring my system I wind up never even using it. No excuse camera
    My grandson. Enough said
    One in the oven. Grandkid, sex unknown. LOL
    I never buy a camera for me personally , I have no real Guy toy its all business gear. Hard to explain
    One thing my system DOES NOT HAVE. A leaf shutter, thats freaking huge for me.
    Maybe even smaller than my single 35 1.4 lens

Cons there is really only one that smacks me immediately cost. My ultimate answer to that. So how many lives do you have i get one not sure about anyone else. ROTFLMAO
    Guy:

One comment and one question. I smiled when, rapidly reading this thread today, I saw you progress from an initial "no" to a "likely" (in terms of purchase intention). Also, is the autofocus in the Rx1r II the same as the A7rII? (I don't know, but want to double check.)

Thanks for any help you can provide--and for keeping this thread moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary: I may have just answered my prior question. Not the best source for cameras, but ...

CNET: "Autofocus system. One of the biggest issues with the earlier RX1 models was Sony's poorly performing 25-area contrast autofocus system. The RX1R II inherits the much-improved hybrid system -- 399 phase-detection points in addition to the contrast AF -- that's in the A7R II."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx1r2 and RX100 IV Frankencamera

Not sure where this could go.

Is there a demand for a an RX1rii style camera (size, weight, evf, 42mp) with an improved 24-70 zoom (ono;y because of the bigger sensor) similar to an RX100 IV on steroids?

I would love such a camera for lightweight backpacking?
    Last edited by karlfoto; 1st November 2015 at 18:55.
    http://www.archifoto.com.au

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by karlfoto View Post

Is there a demand for a an RX1rii style camera (size, weight, evf, 42mp) with an improved 24-70 zoom (ono;y because of the bigger sensor) similar to an RX100 IV on steroids?

24-240 would be more useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by karlfoto View Post

Closest thing that's out there would be the RX-10. Remarkably capable camera for a "all-in-one". Gave one to my daughter for her year abroad and she took some remarkable photos. After my husband visited her he was so impressed I had to buy him one!

For me, I'm preordering the Rx1RII - the first time I have ever pre-ordered a camera. Why? Because my Rx1R is one of my favorites by a very large margin. Small enough that it goes everywhere - even on business trips where I used to just leave all cameras behind and no matter what I am shooting, every time I review the shots there is at least one that makes my jaw drop. It is hard to describe (Lucile really hits it upthread). And it is easy to "hand off" at gatherings, it doesn't intimidate people (little do they know they are shooting on manual) - a nice bonus.

The improved AF and especially the EVF and tilt LCD are exactly what I would have chosen to "fix" on the Rx1R. I have a love-hate relationship with the current EVF and actually usually leave it behind when packing extra light. The only downside is that I do use the current flash for fill outside, so may buy the smallest Sony flash and stick it in my bag.

A lovely and unique piece of gear, Sony put a lot of thought into it and it really shows.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the new camera is just a hair larger. I emailed Fotodiox about compatibility. I'll post their response.
    I got an email response from Fotodiox:

I do apologize but at this time we are not certain if the grip fits on that camera, we at this time do not have that camera to test this grip with that camera.
    but we do have a 14 day return policy if it doesn't work, here is the policy;
    So, the old one "might" work. Otherwise, we'll have to wait for a new version, which probably will take awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the new camera is just a hair larger.
    I think "the hair" is just the slight increase of the swivel screen. It shouldn't affect the dimensions for a grip.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just noticed you can actually purchase at B&H on November 5th. Just FYI I do accept presents if your so inclined. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just noticed you can actually purchase at B&H on November 5th. Just FYI I do accept presents if your so inclined. Lol
    I think you can order it from 5th Nov.

It is expected ~ 3 Dec here in Europe.

Correction! One shop here tells me end of next week!!
    Last edited by Vivek; 3rd November 2015 at 08:02. Reason: Addendum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zony user View Post
    The camera is front heavy and desperately needs a grip.

And a soft-release button is also recommended. It enables me to shoot with 1-1.5 stops worth of slower shutter speeds.

This depends on the person so answers will vary, as a female I don't find the camera front heavy nor do I have the need for a grip, been shooting with it for three years. Nor do I have a soft release and I shoot with slow shutter speeds quite a bit.

Now because it's that way for me, everybody is different. The best thing to do for those that have never handled a Rx1, is to handle it, and see how it might or might not fit your needs.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking of running down to Tempe camera today and play with one , I need to figure if it fits me. I'm probably one of those that will want a little grip. I got arthritis in my hands so it maybe needed
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of running down to Tempe camera today and play with one , I need to figure if it fits me. I'm probably one of those that will want a little grip. I got arthritis in my hands so it maybe needed

Its a good idea, most folks that I know that own one do prefer a grip, I get to Phoenix 4-5 times a year, I have never been to Tempe Camera, I have to check that out.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, Tempe camera - helped me get over my B&H withdrawal when I moved to AZ from NYC.

I have vascular problems in my hands - so they get stiff easily. Adding an RSS grip to my Rx1R made a *big* difference. I tend to use a wrist strap with it and it's really comfortable to carry that way with my fingers lightly curled around the grip.

The size was a huge selling point for me - literally no excuse not to always carry it. Amazing to have that much power in my carry everywhere camera!

And FWIW I'm upgrading - never liked dealing with the add-on EVF. Just have to figure out what do do about a flash, I did use the on-board one for outdoors fill and I'm concerned the Nissan i40 will be overkill for that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Nissin I40 is a nice little flash. I use a Gordy hand strap on my A7rII. i got away from neck straps

Here check this out

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/wrist-lug/index.htm

Here is basically my strapName:  20131207_lug-mount-wrist_013.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  68.3 KB

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lucille, I would love to see a photo of your A7, RX100, and the Rx1r2 together, when you get yours. I'm very curious about this new camera after the glowing report about the RX1r that you posted.

Thank you for the nice compliment. The thing about it, the Rx1 makes these kind of captures easy, and they happen on a regular basis.

When the Rx1 was 1st released in really came out of left field, we didn't see it coming. And I took a chance on a fixed lens camera for $2700.

I remember when I 1st starting seeing the output, I was literally astonished, as for me, it had JAW DROPPING IQ and fit in the palm of my hand. This camera changed my photography and
    I believe I am a better shooter now with all my camera bodies, due to the improvements I made with the Rx1 which inspired me to always carry it and always shoot something.

I've done what the 'internet' said I couldn't do. I've shot 5 Weddings with the RX1 as my MAIN body. I have been hired to cover some local football games using the RX1. I use it in
    tough lowlight situations in spite of the 'internet' telling me it doesn't focus in lowlight or is slow. Many of the local Musicians use my RX1 images for their various needs, cd's, promotional posters.

Now I am not saying its the best for these situations, but I am saying it isn't the 'one trick pony' that the 'internet' seems to think. This camera is powerful and can be versatile, be here is
    the caveat, you must learn how to use this in full manual.

In my opinion, if you shoot in auto mode, the camera controls you, if you shoot in full manual, you control the camera, and that my friends is where the magic happens.

the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Correction! One shop here tells me end of next week!!
    Don't be so cruel Vivek! Come on, which shop is it? I promise I won't tell anyone ...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I had posted in FM that B&H changed the wording on their RX1rII page. It used to say available for "preorder" on 11/5, which changed to available for "purchase" on 11/5.

This may be semantics. Or it may be that B&H has already received shipment and can sell/ship on Thursday.

I vote for the latter option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cannot hand hold at slow shutter speeds. I have not had ill-focused RX1 shots that I can recall. However after reading Ming's comments about resolution and that one should not get a camera with higher resolution than one can handle well (assuming no tripod use in this case) I wonder how the new 42MP sensor without IBIS will handle for street use for those of us that cannot hand hold say below 250. I use around 10x the FL whenever possible. Sure I can pump up the ISO, but myself I prefer using native ISO whenever possible.

Comments appreciated. TIA

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I cannot hand hold at slow shutter speeds. I have not had ill-focused RX1 shots that I can recall. However after reading Ming's comments about resolution and that one should not get a camera with higher resolution than one can handle well (assuming no tripod use in this case) I wonder how the new 42MP sensor without IBIS will handle for street use for those of us that cannot hand hold say below 250. I use around 10x the FL whenever possible. Sure I can pump up the ISO, but myself I prefer using native ISO whenever possible.

Comments appreciated. TIA
    SonyNEX-5N or the Leica T (same sensor) have the same pixel size as the FF 42MP sensor. You need to filter what an advocate of one brand says in the context of the current competing cameras (even when there is little to compare!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek

So I wonder what difference in image quality there will be between using the RX1R2 versus the A7R2 with an equivlant lens (if one exist) at the same settings considering the A7R2 has IBIS.

Post Thanks / Like

The Nissin I40 is a nice little flash. I use a Gordy hand strap on my A7rII. i got away from neck straps
    That is quite the strap! ;-)

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek

So I wonder what difference in image quality there will be between using the RX1R2 versus the A7R2 with an equivlant lens (if one exist) at the same settings considering the A7R2 has IBIS.
    Laughs! I think we all know that. But I'm buying one anyway.
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dang not a old one to handle at Tempe camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Lucille, I would love to see a photo of your A7, RX100, and the Rx1r2 together, when you get yours. I'm very curious about this new camera after the glowing report about the RX1r that you posted.

I could do something like that.

the HepKitty
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could do something like that.

Thank you!!! That is what I wanted to see.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't bother with a grip for my RX1 but I did get a Gariz half case which increased the surface area and have a more grippy feel. I'm assuming that with the new flippy-tilty screen the existing Gariz case won't fit?

I also immediately bought a no-name lens cap and put the ridiculous sized Sony cap for safe storage (which I do with pretty much every camera/lens I buy).

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

What a good idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep your eyes open on B&H and Amazon they are about a 1/2 from going on sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Available for pre-order. Will begin shipping Wed, Nov 25 (Subject to availability) from B&H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Rx1r has been one of my favorite cameras....I took it to Moscow and St Petersburg last year....incredible for travel. I have pre ordered the II version..... The 35 f2 lens is fabulous....very sharp wide open. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I'm curious about the file ratio options, in particularly 4x3. I don't know whether it's an Rx1 feature or not, but I'm hoping that the cropped ratio is a real 4x3 in the Rx1r2 viewfinder [i.e. not a 'full' frame with crop lines inside], so RAW images open as baked 4x3 ratios in image browsers. Anyone hazard a smart guess?

........... Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Finally found a supplier in the UK, WEX, who was allowing pre-order.

Be interesting to see when stock becomes available in the UK because at present I think we may be play Cinderella to the US's ugly sisters... :-)

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Hi - I'm curious about the file ratio options, in particularly 4x3. I don't know whether it's an Rx1 feature or not, but I'm hoping that the cropped ratio is a real 4x3 in the Rx1r2 viewfinder [i.e. not a 'full' frame with crop lines inside], so RAW images open as baked 4x3 ratios in image browsers. Anyone hazard a smart guess?

........... Chris
    The RX1 doesn't have 4:3 or 1:1. It does have 16:9. I just checked on mine, and switching the aspect ratio results in both the screen and the EVF showing the cropped image only. The image preview in the Finder also shows the cropped image. In PS/ACR, the cropped image shows, but if you select the Crop Tool, the full image is there, with the 16:9 crop showing. It looks like a good implementation to me: you can compose and process with the selected aspect ratio, but the full sensor capture is available in case you change your mind after the fact. I wish that they would offer an update to the RX1 to have the other ratios as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in. I even got up early to pre-order from B&H.

Three weeks, though. That's an eternity for early adopters. What are the chances it ships early? I mean, c'mon, we need these cameras for Thanksgiving day, not after!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hilarious! You got up at 8am (early) to pre order. We all have our habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Hilarious! You got up at 8am (early) to pre order. We all have our habits.
    LOL, yeah. At first I thought you meant "crazy, early adopter giving up sleep". But then I realized that 8 AM is NOT early for most people.

I am Ben Franklin's worst nightmare. Late to bed, late to rise, makes a man... (I don't wanna know ).

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, yeah. At first I thought you meant "crazy, early adopter giving up sleep". But then I realized that 8 AM is NOT early for most people.

I am Ben Franklin's worst nightmare. Late to bed, late to rise, makes a man... (I don't wanna know ).
    Yeah but so much easier than waiting in line to get the latest Apple release...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    The RX1 doesn't have 4:3 or 1:1. It does have 16:9. I just checked on mine, and switching the aspect ratio results in both the screen and the EVF showing the cropped image only. The image preview in the Finder also shows the cropped image. In PS/ACR, the cropped image shows, but if you select the Crop Tool, the full image is there, with the 16:9 crop showing. It looks like a good implementation to me: you can compose and process with the selected aspect ratio, but the full sensor capture is available in case you change your mind after the fact. I wish that they would offer an update to the RX1 to have the other ratios as well.
    I wouldn't count on getting any updates, based on track record with the RX1 and RX1R which are still at version 1.00.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Yeah but so much easier than waiting in line to get the latest Apple release...
    I've never done that.... Nope, not me... I'm not that crazy... :too cool:

Well, maybe once or twice, but never lining up days ahead. And not so much to be "one of the first...", but because those lines are more like all-night parties.

On the whole, though, much easier to NOT have to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Thank you!!! That is what I wanted to see.
    variation on the theme

Canon infiltrator

new album | nostatic | music
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post