The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The biggest complaints I ever saw about the RX1 were that the AF was not up to par and that there was no integrated viewfinder. Just having those two points addressed likely pushes the camera across a usability threshold for many people, myself included. Better high ISO performance is always a good thing. The boost in megapixels seems more of a burden than a benefit in many ways, but not such a bad burden to have, increasing the cropping possibilities from a one-lens camera that may be carried by itself.
Its sporting the same package in AF dept as the A7rII. These are huge improvements and it looks to be in this body as well.

AF eye tracking is just what it sounds like it pin points a eye and tracks it pretty much across the whole frame. If the eye is not seen it goes right into a more general focusing area and continually tracks. The EYE AF is pretty darn cool and it does work very well.

Godfrey

No worries, we just reached Godfrey's usual stress level whenever people get carryed away by a new toy.:p
One needs somebody who cools down consumers to relativize their wettest dreams. It won't help though ;) ...
I spent the grand amount of $650 for a new Polaroid SX-70 with rebuilt electronics and calibrated for 600 film a few weeks ago. Called the SLR670a by MiNT. It's making beautiful photographs for me, clearly my best performing Polaroid, and I'm very enthused about what I can do with it. But of course it's no umpteen bazigapixel AF Zeiss-lensed whirligig that can make movies and 40x60 inch prints without breathing hard. It just makes beautiful little photographs when I point it in the right direction and press the button at the right time...

I'm sure no one here cares at all, but as a photographer's tool it has the spontaneity and connection between me and my subjects that I hope the Sony WunderMachin gives to all the aspiring Sonyista.

G

Guy Mancuso

I spent the grand amount of $650 for a new Polaroid SX-70 with rebuilt electronics and calibrated for 600 film a few weeks ago. Called the SLR670a by MiNT. It's making beautiful photographs for me, clearly my best performing Polaroid, and I'm very enthused about what I can do with it. But of course it's no umpteen bazigapixel AF Zeiss-lensed whirligig that can make movies and 40x60 inch prints without breathing hard. It just makes beautiful little photographs when I point it in the right direction and press the button at the right time...

I'm sure no one here cares at all, but as a photographer's tool it has the spontaneity and connection between me and my subjects that I hope the Sony WunderMachin gives to all the aspiring Sonyista.

G
Really so I guess this means the other 99.99 percent of the population of photographers does not feel the same way about what they shoot and what there needs are. Im glad the Polaroid is making you happy I really am but for me IM OUT OF BUSINESS Period with one of them. Horses for courses but you certainly are showing your bias, attitude towards new technology that Sony is producing. The reality is you could say the same about Leica than.

Like I said have a great weekend

Michiel Schierbeek

G
Palaroid camera made some people famous. So you put 6x6 film in the camera now?

Guy Mancuso

Face recognition, eye based focus setting ... "Just push the button and the camera gets it all right for you!" (...from the Sony website)

How involving. What glorious Photography...!
I'll pass. Sorry, no interest...

G
And Polaroid is what push a button get a print in 60 seconds. How involving is that.

Godfrey give it up, you know full well there is much more involvement than that and just like Polaroid you have to think. Its a very handy tool that is a OPTION if you want to use it. Marketing crap is marketing crap you know that for Christ sake. Your not speaking to a bunch of rookies here.

Im out as i can't argue this anymore

dandrewk

Face recognition, eye based focus setting ... "Just push the button and the camera gets it all right for you!" (...from the Sony website)

How involving. What glorious Photography...!
I'll pass. Sorry, no interest...

G
:rolleyes:

Indeed, having out of focus portraits and candid moments is truly awesome art. Or blurry images. Or dark, grainy images. Sony has ruined photography.

Here's the perfect camera:

Not many of them still work, but if you are willing to spend $650, I'm sure you'll find one. ;)

Can you speak in more specific terms about what those changes were with the A7r II?

G

I think people feel you're asking them to explain their needs or preferences in terms that make sense or would apply to you, and that puts them on the defensive. The reasons are necessarily specific to the person and his or her style.

If you just want an answer to your specific question from one person, then the A7rII does something I needed. I take/make/create BW landscapes and had been using a Monochrom camera, because I wanted to emulate something like a 'classic' BW landscape style while focusing on a different aspect of 'nature.' (The catchword for this is 'repurposing.') I needed the resolution offered by the the MM (without Bayer array), but would also have liked to be able to use color-to-BW conversion sliders to control tonal balance and contrast. I didn't want to use an A7r for this because most of my exposures fall into the range where it tended to generate shutter shake. The A7rII solves this problem: no more shutter issues, and apparently because of the new sensor, the image quality of its color files, when converted to BW, closely matches the IQ of MM files made without a Bayer array. It may even do better in separating highlight values. Compared to MM, the A7rII offers the advantage of live view, which was important because with MM and the wide lenses I usually use, I was limited to the rough approximation offered by external viewfinders. I'd been limited by a kind of post-visualization, where I had to take the picture first to see what was actually going to be in the frame.

I don't expect these choice-parameters to apply to you, nor to most other folks; it's a 'fit' between a certain piece of equipment and a style that interested me. I've spelled it all out because I don't think it makes much sense for folks to try to justify specific technical choices to others, except in the broadest terms and through constructive suggestions. Otherwise the interrogation can go on forever: Someone might come back and say 'Why don't you use a digital back or a technical camera?', and I'd have to reply that I have a bad knee and need light equipment. We could go on and on trying to justify our personal needs or preferences to one another, but it really doesn't lead anywhere. It's just the main features that people have mentioned – better AF for some, smaller size for others; file compatibility; presence/absence of EVF or LV, viewfinder lines, etc., that matter to individuals.

IMO we can compare notes about a yet-to-be-seen camera best if we consider features and changes that might affect our work, without having to justify or refute what will turn out to be personal needs/preferences.

Kirk

Last edited:

Lucille

G

You truly are amazing, when I grow up, maybe I'll be as gifted and talented as you are. :ROTFL:

For me this camera is like a Contax T3 loaded with fine-grain film. It goes anywhere, P&S features are there if you want them, and the images will hold up for almost any purpose.

Godfrey

"Sorry, no interest..."

For someone who's uninterested, you have a lot to say.
No. I have many questions as to why people are so excited.
I've had face recognition and eye point AF in almost all my automated cameras since late 2008 (first one was the Panasonic G1). It has always worked a treat, and I use when t's appropriate. Has it changed my photography? Not at all. Similarly I've had fast, excellent lenses in compact-bodied cameras seemingly forever.

Is it that Sony is so far behind the game that these things are a huge advance?

G

V

Vivek

But for the huge lens that does not retract (like a Contax T) it is. The R2 still sports the age old T* coatings though. ;)

For me this camera is like a Contax T3 loaded with fine-grain film. It goes anywhere, P&S features are there if you want them, and the images will hold up for almost any purpose.

Your Neo-Polaroid sounds like a fine tool. A while ago the little Eberts Gallery at 49 Geary (now closed) showed some large and really engaging inkjet prints from scanned Polaroids. It's a tempting way to go.

Kirk

Godfrey

And Polaroid is what push a button get a print in 60 seconds. How involving is that.

Godfrey give it up, you know full well there is much more involvement than that and just like Polaroid you have to think. Its a very handy tool that is a OPTION if you want to use it. Marketing crap is marketing crap you know that for Christ sake. Your not speaking to a bunch of rookies here.

Im out as i can't argue this anymore
You think I'm arguing. I'm not; I'm asking questions to understand what all the hoopla's about. Why are you so defensive?

I don't say much about my Polaroids because I knew that none of you "professionals" would understand the notion behind Polaroid at all. But I've been commissioned to produce two books of Polaroid photographs. The question is when, as my time is very limited right now. But I'll figure that out. And yes, it's very involving. The Polaroid film has a unique rendering signature, produces virtually unreproducible results. Each photo is a finished product, complete unto itself. Getting it right isn't particularly easy. Limited dynamic range, a small print, limited tonal space, tricky exposure issues, manual focus, slow film, eight exposures per pack.

Certainly nothing like turning on near or far eye focus in my E-M1 and snapping away, getting perfect focus every time for however many hundred exposures I want to press the button for.

G

Last edited:

Godfrey

Really so I guess this means the other 99.99 percent of the population of photographers does not feel the same way about what they shoot and what there needs are. Im glad the Polaroid is making you happy I really am but for me IM OUT OF BUSINESS Period with one of them. Horses for courses but you certainly are showing your bias, attitude towards new technology that Sony is producing. The reality is you could say the same about Leica than. ...
Never said they didn't. I just want to know what is punching their buttons and causing them all to spend another $3000+.

I'll have a great weekend, thank you: I plan to edit a few photographs and read a book while my hip heals up. I hope yours is as pleasant and productive. :)

G

Godfrey

:rolleyes:

Indeed, having out of focus portraits and candid moments is truly awesome art. Or blurry images. Or dark, grainy images. Sony has ruined photography.

Here's the perfect camera:

Not many of them still work, but if you are willing to spend $650, I'm sure you'll find one. ;)
I had three of them; they cost me a total of probably $40 over the past thirty years. Unfortunately, 122 film is long out of production and cutting down sheet film for one-at-a-time photography is very cumbersome and time consuming. Sold the last one a year or two ago.

G