The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

V

Vivek

I held it in hands today; viewfinder is less than perfect but still better than original one, tilting screen is great.
I did not think much of that (EVF) but it is good to know it is better than the pricey/add on! :)

Lucille

As I wait for the release of the Rx1r II, here is a shot from my original Rx1.

Horse Springs New Mexico.

The Rx1 went with me to every ghost town we could find in New Mexico.

ohnri

As I wait for the release of the Rx1r II, here is a shot from my original Rx1.

Horse Springs New Mexico.

The Rx1 went with me to every ghost town we could find in New Mexico.
I love the little cross on the front. It is close enough to a Red Cross that it evokes a feeling of first aid and spiritual aid together.

Two of my favorite things, in one place.

Stunning blue skies and fluffy white clouds a bonus.

Oh, and ghosts. Always a plus.

-Bill

eleanorbrown

Im hearing Roger's name. Regarding testing..?Who is he and does he have a web site? Thanks, Eleanor

I have no idea if I have a good copy. LOL

Nor do I put much stock in Rogers testing. He is looking at one facet of one part of a complex image chain. Even DXOMark is more relevant as at least they are looking at both sensor and lens together.

It turns out that I always use my sensor and lens together.

Plus, I care about bokeh, color, speed of focus, OIS, whether AF or not, weight, price, size and many other lens qualities. And I care about how an image looks on my phone, iPad, monitor and printed on various papers and with various processing effects and at various sizes.

So the lens tests I like are the ones I do. The next best, for me, are the photos I see taken with the same lens I have or want. Next best is reading the opinions of photographers whose work I like or whose opinions I trust.

With Roger's tests, I have no idea how his test results may or may not affect my image chain. It may be that the variability he reports is completely irrelevant to any image I would ever take. I expect this is the case frankly.

Having said all that ...

My RX1 remains my top choice, all-time, for any 35mm lens. I only wish it weren't connected to a body with such lousy AF.

Enter the seductive RX1r2. She is a sly beast. Her promise of endless IQ and the bounty of being forever mated to the word's most desirable sensor is a siren song destined to pull me ever closer. Closer ... Closer ...

-Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Let's avoid comments on sale pricing. It can affect a sale but sending a PM to a member to try and help them is a nice gesture.

Smoothjazz

I looked at the LensRentals lens evaluation blog, but I don't know, when you get into the details of MTF charts or other bench testing, my eyes start to glaze over. The Sony bench test seemed sooo complicated to set up, making me wonder if it is valid in the same way as a lens mounted on the camera. Best way to test the lenses is just to rent them and use them for a few days. In that regard, LensRentals is a great service. I plan to try renting on Otus lens, just to see what it is like. They even rent infrared converted cameras.

k-hawinkler

The general wisdom was, lenses are for the long term, cameras are consumables.
Well, I wonder whether that is still true, considering the fairly new practice of in camera lens corrections for ILC systems.
Of course, this doesn't matter for the Rx1r2 with its builtin lens.
BTW, what is the reparability and expected useful lifespan of this camera?

ohnri

The general wisdom was, lenses are for the long term, cameras are consumables.
Well, I wonder whether that is still true, considering the fairly new practice of in camera lens corrections for ILC systems.
Of course, this doesn't matter for the Rx1r2 with its builtin lens.
BTW, what is the reparability and expected useful lifespan of this camera?
Interesting point. Hopefully, at least within one camera ecosystem there won't be too much planned lens obsolescence.

I feel that Sony is doing a credible job of preserving value in their A mount lenses.

I expect a decade or so of repairs on the RX1 cameras. It's not like Sony will fix old Walkman's or Betamax players. Old electronics are just not easily repaired. Once the parts are eventually gone no one is going to fabricate them again as the ancient technology won't even exist.

Hmm, that may apply to modern lenses as well.

Okay, time to get a CLA on my Leica IIIa.

Oh, wait, silly me, my iPhone 22 will probably crush my Stone Age 42MP A7r2 under its sleek, oh-so-sexy boots.

-Bill

k-hawinkler

Interesting point. Hopefully, at least within one camera ecosystem there won't be too much planned lens obsolescence.

I feel that Sony is doing a credible job of preserving value in their A mount lenses.

I expect a decade or so of repairs on the RX1 cameras. It's not like Sony will fix old Walkman's or Betamax players. Old electronics are just not easily repaired. Once the parts are eventually gone no one is going to fabricate them again as the ancient technology won't even exist.

Hmm, that may apply to modern lenses as well.

Okay, time to get a CLA on my Leica IIIa.

Oh, wait, silly me, my iPhone 22 will probably crush my Stone Age 42MP A7r2 under its sleek, oh-so-sexy boots.

-Bill

Yup, Bill, you may well be right.
No doubt, the iPhone 22 controlled by your brain waves.
I had a slightly different reaction and just bought another R lens. :grin:

Tim

Whatever happened to the 'curved' sensor that Sony had been working on.

I thought for sure it would be in this iteration of the RX1 series because, as I understand it, it would have made it possible (with optimization for the curved sensor, of course) for Zeiss to fashion the 35mm f2.0 lens into a 35mm f1.8 without increasing the size of the lens that's mounted on the body.
I was going to raise the same question.
Perhaps it still needed more work or was not yielding the improvements hoped for yet?

Tim

Here are the Pros.

Serve as my get my *** out the door and go shoot. I actually need this one for my head. You get lazy after 40 years
My vacation camera which when I bring my system I wind up never even using it. No excuse camera
I never buy a camera for me personally , I have no real Guy toy its all business gear. Hard to explain

Cons there is really only one that smacks me immediately cost. My ultimate answer to that. So how many lives do you have i get one not sure about anyone else. ROTFLMAO
These are the ones that ring for me in your list.
The little Ricoh GR fills these rolls a lot of the time but at times I'd like a bit more IQ and 35mm.
The third one needs no explanation, but luckily I don't have to work with any of mine.

I am even considering the RX1r as a compromise on the cost.

V

Vivek

I was going to raise the same question.
Perhaps it still needed more work or was not yielding the improvements hoped for yet?
I believe they shelved it because of worries that a camera the size of a Contax T would be considered a "toy" and decided to go with the heavy Zony lens.

JMaher

I loved my original Contax T. It stayed with me for many years and I kept it long after I stopped shooting with it. A truly great pocket-able camera.
Jim

Had some hands on time with the new camera this week at Photo Plus - no images taken on SD card.

My main interest was in the EVF and AF speed.

EVF is very nice. The magnification puts it in-between the size of the original a7 bodies and the .78 of the a7RII and a7SII. I was worried that it was going to be small and squinty like the RX100 - not so. I'll also say that compared to the new EVFs in the Leica SL and the Q, the Sony EVFs are much more true to life in terms of color and contrast. The Leica EVFs, while high resolution and largely magnified have a weird matte look with a warm tint that I do not care for at all. Another example of specs telling a lie I guess.

AF speed was very quick - maybe not as fast as the Q or SL but certainly a significant improvement and one that is going to satisfy me. I also noticed that like the AF system in the a7RII, it is very surefooted and won't hunt easily. I was able to get the SL and Q to hunt on command, depending on the contrast level of my subject.

The camera felt the same (physically) and the way the EVF system pops up is very cool. I asked a rep at Sony if the EVF cavity represented an egress point for dust and his answer was "no less than the pop-up flash on the original".

So happily, nothing I saw swayed me from my decision to upgrade my original RX1 but I'm still looking forward to doing a comparison of the two once the new body arrives in November.