The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

V

Vivek

Re: Rx1r2 and RX100 IV Frankencamera

Not sure where this could go.

Is there a demand for a an RX1rii style camera (size, weight, evf, 42mp) with an improved 24-70 zoom (ono;y because of the bigger sensor) similar to an RX100 IV on steroids?

I would love such a camera for lightweight backpacking?
24-240 would be more useful. :toocool:

JCT

Re: Rx1r2 and RX100 IV Frankencamera

Not sure where this could go.

Is there a demand for a an RX1rii style camera (size, weight, evf, 42mp) with an improved 24-70 zoom (ono;y because of the bigger sensor) similar to an RX100 IV on steroids?

I would love such a camera for lightweight backpacking?
Closest thing that's out there would be the RX-10. Remarkably capable camera for a "all-in-one". Gave one to my daughter for her year abroad and she took some remarkable photos. After my husband visited her he was so impressed I had to buy him one!

For me, I'm preordering the Rx1RII - the first time I have ever pre-ordered a camera. Why? Because my Rx1R is one of my favorites by a very large margin. Small enough that it goes everywhere - even on business trips where I used to just leave all cameras behind and no matter what I am shooting, every time I review the shots there is at least one that makes my jaw drop. It is hard to describe (Lucile really hits it upthread). And it is easy to "hand off" at gatherings, it doesn't intimidate people (little do they know they are shooting on manual) - a nice bonus.

The improved AF and especially the EVF and tilt LCD are exactly what I would have chosen to "fix" on the Rx1R. I have a love-hate relationship with the current EVF and actually usually leave it behind when packing extra light. The only downside is that I do use the current flash for fill outside, so may buy the smallest Sony flash and stick it in my bag.

A lovely and unique piece of gear, Sony put a lot of thought into it and it really shows.

dandrewk

It looks like the new camera is just a hair larger. I emailed Fotodiox about compatibility. I'll post their response.
I got an email response from Fotodiox:

I do apologize but at this time we are not certain if the grip fits on that camera, we at this time do not have that camera to test this grip with that camera.
but we do have a 14 day return policy if it doesn't work, here is the policy;
So, the old one "might" work. Otherwise, we'll have to wait for a new version, which probably will take awhile.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just noticed you can actually purchase at B&H on November 5th. Just FYI I do accept presents if your so inclined. Lol

V

Vivek

Just noticed you can actually purchase at B&H on November 5th. Just FYI I do accept presents if your so inclined. Lol
I think you can order it from 5th Nov.

It is expected ~ 3 Dec here in Europe.

Correction! One shop here tells me end of next week!!

Last edited:

Lucille

The camera is front heavy and desperately needs a grip.

And a soft-release button is also recommended. It enables me to shoot with 1-1.5 stops worth of slower shutter speeds.

This depends on the person so answers will vary, as a female I don't find the camera front heavy nor do I have the need for a grip, been shooting with it for three years. Nor do I have a soft release and I shoot with slow shutter speeds quite a bit.

Now because it's that way for me, everybody is different. The best thing to do for those that have never handled a Rx1, is to handle it, and see how it might or might not fit your needs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm thinking of running down to Tempe camera today and play with one , I need to figure if it fits me. I'm probably one of those that will want a little grip. I got arthritis in my hands so it maybe needed

Lucille

I'm thinking of running down to Tempe camera today and play with one , I need to figure if it fits me. I'm probably one of those that will want a little grip. I got arthritis in my hands so it maybe needed

Its a good idea, most folks that I know that own one do prefer a grip, I get to Phoenix 4-5 times a year, I have never been to Tempe Camera, I have to check that out.

JCT

Ah, Tempe camera - helped me get over my B&H withdrawal when I moved to AZ from NYC.

I have vascular problems in my hands - so they get stiff easily. Adding an RSS grip to my Rx1R made a *big* difference. I tend to use a wrist strap with it and it's really comfortable to carry that way with my fingers lightly curled around the grip.

The size was a huge selling point for me - literally no excuse not to always carry it. Amazing to have that much power in my carry everywhere camera!

And FWIW I'm upgrading - never liked dealing with the add-on EVF. Just have to figure out what do do about a flash, I did use the on-board one for outdoors fill and I'm concerned the Nissan i40 will be overkill for that....

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Lucille, I would love to see a photo of your A7, RX100, and the Rx1r2 together, when you get yours. I'm very curious about this new camera after the glowing report about the RX1r that you posted.

Thank you for the nice compliment. The thing about it, the Rx1 makes these kind of captures easy, and they happen on a regular basis.

When the Rx1 was 1st released in really came out of left field, we didn't see it coming. And I took a chance on a fixed lens camera for $2700.

I remember when I 1st starting seeing the output, I was literally astonished, as for me, it had JAW DROPPING IQ and fit in the palm of my hand. This camera changed my photography and
I believe I am a better shooter now with all my camera bodies, due to the improvements I made with the Rx1 which inspired me to always carry it and always shoot something.

I've done what the 'internet' said I couldn't do. I've shot 5 Weddings with the RX1 as my MAIN body. I have been hired to cover some local football games using the RX1. I use it in
tough lowlight situations in spite of the 'internet' telling me it doesn't focus in lowlight or is slow. Many of the local Musicians use my RX1 images for their various needs, cd's, promotional posters.

Now I am not saying its the best for these situations, but I am saying it isn't the 'one trick pony' that the 'internet' seems to think. This camera is powerful and can be versatile, be here is
the caveat, you must learn how to use this in full manual.

In my opinion, if you shoot in auto mode, the camera controls you, if you shoot in full manual, you control the camera, and that my friends is where the magic happens.

the HepKitty

dandrewk

Yes, I had posted in FM that B&H changed the wording on their RX1rII page. It used to say available for "preorder" on 11/5, which changed to available for "purchase" on 11/5.

This may be semantics. Or it may be that B&H has already received shipment and can sell/ship on Thursday.

I vote for the latter option. :D

algrove

I cannot hand hold at slow shutter speeds. I have not had ill-focused RX1 shots that I can recall. However after reading Ming's comments about resolution and that one should not get a camera with higher resolution than one can handle well (assuming no tripod use in this case) I wonder how the new 42MP sensor without IBIS will handle for street use for those of us that cannot hand hold say below 250. I use around 10x the FL whenever possible. Sure I can pump up the ISO, but myself I prefer using native ISO whenever possible.

Comments appreciated. TIA

V

Vivek

I cannot hand hold at slow shutter speeds. I have not had ill-focused RX1 shots that I can recall. However after reading Ming's comments about resolution and that one should not get a camera with higher resolution than one can handle well (assuming no tripod use in this case) I wonder how the new 42MP sensor without IBIS will handle for street use for those of us that cannot hand hold say below 250. I use around 10x the FL whenever possible. Sure I can pump up the ISO, but myself I prefer using native ISO whenever possible.

Comments appreciated. TIA
SonyNEX-5N or the Leica T (same sensor) have the same pixel size as the FF 42MP sensor. You need to filter what an advocate of one brand says in the context of the current competing cameras (even when there is little to compare!).

algrove

Thanks Vivek

So I wonder what difference in image quality there will be between using the RX1R2 versus the A7R2 with an equivlant lens (if one exist) at the same settings considering the A7R2 has IBIS.

stephen.s1

Thanks Vivek

So I wonder what difference in image quality there will be between using the RX1R2 versus the A7R2 with an equivlant lens (if one exist) at the same settings considering the A7R2 has IBIS.
Laughs! I think we all know that. But I'm buying one anyway.