The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Question. I like to put cameras on there side when putting in a bag. How does it measure from lens to back of camera. Is it like 3 inches or so as that maybe the same diameter as a lens

Pradeep

from where?

- - - Updated - - -
My usual dealer had one that was a 'demo' meaning the box was opened but never used. Dealers get these in an early consignment. I am in a rush as I am leaving next week on a trip and needed the camera before that. I am happy that I got it because availability is worse than that of the A7R2 when it came out.

The camera is as good as new, nothing seems to have been used or tried out at all.

Pradeep

The tripod socket is moved slightly from the RX1...

- - - Updated - - -

Working on this now.
So can it be used? I can get a cheap one from Amazon instead of the usual RRS heavyweight. Just need something that I can use the BR clamp on. I don't need the 'L' plate because for vertical tripod work I have the A7R2. Cannot find just a slim plate though, or one where the vertical section can be removed easily.

One of the big appeals of the camera is that it is so small and I would hate to make it bulkier with large grips and plates.

Jeff Kott

So can it be used? I can get a cheap one from Amazon instead of the usual RRS heavyweight. Just need something that I can use the BR clamp on. I don't need the 'L' plate because for vertical tripod work I have the A7R2. Cannot find just a slim plate though, or one where the vertical section can be removed easily.

One of the big appeals of the camera is that it is so small and I would hate to make it bulkier with large grips and plates.
Pradeep,

It turns out that the RRS BPnS bidirectional plate for point and shoot works great on my new RX1Rii:

RRS - Bidirectional plate for Point-n-Shoot

I originally got it for my RX 100 and thought I would try it when I tested my RX1Rii lens on my tripod. I was surprised how well it worked. Since you don't need an L plate, this would be perfect for you - it's RRS, small and relatively cheap.

Pradeep

Pradeep,

It turns out that the RRS BPnS bidirectional plate for point and shoot works great on my new RX1Rii:

RRS - Bidirectional plate for Point-n-Shoot

I originally got it for my RX 100 and thought I would try it when I tested my RX1Rii lens on my tripod. I was surprised how well it worked. Since you don't need an L plate, this would be perfect for you - it's RRS, small and relatively cheap.
Jeff, thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Pity RRS do not have any other outlets, but hopefully will get it before I leave. It is good to have a plate as an option.

Have you tried the wired remote release with this camera? I ordered one, just to see if it works, in stealth mode with silent shutter it would be a great option for street images.

Jeff Kott

Have you tried the wired remote release with this camera? I ordered one, just to see if it works, in stealth mode with silent shutter it would be a great option for street images.
I use the Sony iPhone app for a wireless release. Very discrete if that's what you're looking for.

Back to the plate - it's rated for up to 1 lb. and the RX1Rii with battery and card is 1.12 lbs., but it feels super secure and knowing the RRS guys, they err on the conservative side by more than 12%

Chris C

Hi - Would some kind person please answer this query :

'With the 4x3 format, does the Rx1r2 'bake' the RAW file in 4x3 ratio and with a commensurate file size?'

As an aside; for several years I shot 6x7 film with a 'compact, folding, Plaubel Makina rangefinder camera. The 6x7 'files' [because of it's wonderful custom Nikon medium format fixed lens] were fabulous. The Rx1r2 appeals to me as a digital-age Makina alternative capable for serious work - [albeit with Sony's interference with inconsiderate layout and UI].

.............. Chris

Annna T

Hi - Would some kind person please answer this query :

'With the 4x3 format, does the Rx1r2 'bake' the RAW file in 4x3 ratio and with a commensurate file size?'

As an aside; for several years I shot 6x7 film with a 'compact, folding, Plaubel Makina rangefinder camera. The 6x7 'files' [because of it's wonderful custom Nikon medium format fixed lens] were fabulous. The Rx1r2 appeals to me as a digital-age Makina alternative capable for serious work - [albeit with Sony's interference with inconsiderate layout and UI].

.............. Chris
In the 3:2 format, the long side is 1.5 time the short side and we have :
7952x5304 = ~ 42MB

In the 4:3 format the long side is 1.333 time the short side, so we have :
7072 for the long side (aka the short side, 5304 time 1.333), which gives
7072x5304= ~ 37.5MB

Chris C

In the 3:2 format....... = ~ 42MB
In the 4:3 format........= ~ 37.5MB
Anna – So the 'excess' 4.5Mb. is dumped in writing the [4x3] 37Mb. file.. For me, that memory save is very welcome.

Many thanks for your help.

[40mm good fixed-lens camera anyone?]

............... Chris

Annna T

Anna – So the 'excess' 4.5Mb. is dumped in writing the [4x3] 37Mb. file.. For me, that memory save is very welcome.

Many thanks for your help.

[40mm good fixed-lens camera anyone?]

............... Chris
Sorry, I don't know. I thought you would like to know how many pixels you had left for printing in 4:3 format; so it is just a computation, nothing derived from experience, since I don't own that camera.

It is possible that the JPEG will be cropped, but that the raw will keep all the pixels with cropping marks to confirm in the developing software.

Quentin_Bargate

Its interesting to consider just how versatile the RX1R2 is or might be.

When I used to lug my Hasselblad H4D50, later H5D50-200MS around in the filed for landscape work, I'd take along 3 lenses, usually a 120mm Macro, 50mm F/3.5 MkII and a 28mm or 24mm ultrawide.

The macro was very rarely used. The most used lenses were the 50mm and 28mm, particularly the former which is a little wider than the 35mm on the Sony.

The resolution difference is 50mp (in single shot) for the Hassy, v 42.4mp for the Sony. The muiltishot capability of the 200MS is not useful in the field.

The problem I have with the Hasselblad is its sheer weight and size, which of course feeds in to the need for a big heavy tripod. Lug that up hill and down dale and you soon regret it! It's also only really any good below 200 ISO. Great studio camera but impractical otherwise.

I have now replaced the Hasselblad with an A7RII and RX1R2. Another feature in the latter's favour is that it works well as a pano camera, and just a 3 image stitched pano will have about 80mp useable data. Its also an outstanding street camera.

An RX1R2 and lightweight tripod, plus whatever filter set you use, and a compact pano head, can be carried almost without knowing you have them with you. That's not the case with the MF setup, or even a standard "35mm" setup.

Extraordinary.

Chris C

...... don't know..thought you would like to know how many pixels you had left for printing in 4:3 format ........... I don't own that camera.
Anna - Thanks, but no, Sony have published the 4x3 crop RAW pixels [I didn't check their figures].

Annna said:
It is possible that the JPEG will be cropped, but that the raw will keep all the pixels with cropping marks to confirm in the developing software.
That's the question. If someone with the camera could fire a quick 4x3 RAW shot and determine whether it carries the same Mb. as 3x2 format, I'd be very grateful for the answer. Hopefully it is a smaller file.

Thanks anyway Annna, I should have asked my question more clearly.

................. Chris

jim251

Just shot the same pic from my desk in all 4 aspect ratios in RAW + JPG...

All JPGs are cropped permanently and file sizes are from 7.1 MB down to 4.8 MB.

All RAW files retain full 3:2 sensor data and are at full 42.9 MB file size. The images show up in LR cropped but as soon as you click the crop tool you see the full image and can recover it all or adjust to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps...

Pradeep

I've only taken a few shots with this little beauty but already loving it. The lens is just superb.

The first photo is a casual one during dinner at a restaurant last night, wide open, 1/60, ISO 800

The second is at 1/60 again, ISO 100, wide open. There is quite a bit of LCA and a slight barrel distortion was corrected in lens adjustments. The scene has very high edge contrast and the LCA is expected at f2. Not too much of a problem.

Both processed in LR, standard sharpening, exposure and other adjustments (just like would any other image).

Love the sharp details on the wine bottle and the little Buddha looks great too. I don't see any softness at f2. Will of course check it out at 2.8 also, but for me this is already sharp enough, especially for portraits and such.

20151212_RXR_0061.jpg20151213_RXR_0070.jpg

Chris C

..... all 4 aspect ratios in RAW + JPG....JPGs are cropped permanently......RAW files retain full 3:2 sensor data and.. full 42.9 MB file size. ..........
Jim - Yes, that's more than helpful; it answers my question. It seems daft of Sony. Who's going to use a redundant implementation? Anyone who processes RAW knows how to crop anyway, so why bother having other aspect ratios if they aren't real crops?

Oh well. Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

............... Chris