The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Pradeep

I just returned from an exhausting tour of Rajasthan in India. I took the Rx1R2 and the A7R2. Almost 65% of the images were taken with the little fella. I did take other lenses with me, but the majority of the A7R2 images were taken with either the 16-35 or the Batis 25. Did not use the Batis 85 at all and just took a handful of images with the 55 1.8

I found the RX1R2 to be really everything I thought it would be. Small, lightweight, not intimidating to people around, quick to focus, super sharp wide open and overall excellent image quality.

I used it for all kinds of images, people, street candids, buildings, vistas and general landscape stuff. Did not notice any 'field curvature' effect at f5.6 - f11.

I do have a couple of minor niggles. I prefer using the back-button focusing with all my cameras and there is no way to do this and it means there is also no way to turn off AF with the shutter release in auto-focus mode. Other issues such as low battery life etc I am not going into.

Perhaps the best travel camera ever. Amazing power in such a tiny package. Will post some images in the Fun With thread.

jim251

[snip]
I do have a couple of minor niggles. I prefer using the back-button focusing with all my cameras and there is no way to do this and it means there is also no way to turn off AF with the shutter release in auto-focus mode.
Here is how to do back-button focusing on the RX1Rm2:

1. Place camera in MF mode via dial on front. This removes AF from the shutter release.
2. Assign the AEL button to "AF/MF Control Hold." Camera will now AF only while AEL button is pressed.

Works great for basic AF-S. No worky with AF-C since that requires changing off MF mode.

Hope this helps!

Cheers...

Pradeep

Here is how to do back-button focusing on the RX1Rm2:

1. Place camera in MF mode via dial on front. This removes AF from the shutter release.
2. Assign the AEL button to "AF/MF Control Hold." Camera will now AF only while AEL button is pressed.

Works great for basic AF-S. No worky with AF-C since that requires changing off MF mode.

Hope this helps!

Cheers...
Thanks Jim, will try it out.

bipbip

I prefer using the back-button focusing with all my cameras and there is no way to do this and it means there is also no way to turn off AF with the shutter release in auto-focus mode.
Jim's already answered the correct work around. What I also suggest is assigning C1 to toggle between AF and MF - more convenient and faster than using the stiff dial on the front.

algrove

RRS just started taking pre-orders on the plate & grip for the RX1r ii. It was what made the camera fit for me when I had the RX1r.
I have fitted my old RX1 RRS bracket to the new RX1R2 and it fits just fine. Am I missing something?

The tripod socket has been moved between the RX1 and the RX1R-II.

Here is my 'really light stuff' solution. :) About 42 grams, with front grip, rear thumb support, quick release, battery/SD access.

https://vimeo.com/149434390
I can attest that Robert's work on his line of super lightweight grips is phenomenal. The fit is as close to perfect as you are likely to find and they add almost zero perceptible weight to the camera. The way he designed the integrated thumb grip on each model is both creative and I would argue more functional and comfortable than a traditional hot shoe mounted thumb rest.

His RX1RII version wasn't ready before I left for Iceland and I was cursing him every time I had to touch the freezing metal of my RRS (knockoff) grip. The material in his grips don't conduct the cold at all.

The Force is strong with these.

V

Vivek

The eye cup fell apart. :(

I can not even order one like the > 200€ thumbs grip or the other atrociously priced lens hood. :thumbdown:

algrove

Now I know why the eye cup feel apart--your long eye brow caught on it and pulled it right off the camera.

V

Vivek

Wireless TTL support with the Nissin Air stops ~1/200s on the RX1R II. Above that and upto 1/2000s, it syncs but only in manual mode, treating it as HSS (which incidentally works only in manual mode with any camera and the Nissin!).

So, there are limits to the wireless flash use and there are certain things (rear curtain sync, for example) that can only be done by mounting the flash directly or via an extension cord.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone in the US had delivery of an RX1RII since December?

Im still waiting for mine that was originally arriving the last week of November but didn't and is still awaiting delivery by my dealer.

scho

Has anyone in the US had delivery of an RX1RII since December?

Im still waiting for mine that was originally arriving the last week of November but didn't and is still awaiting delivery by my dealer.
I had the RX1RII on pre-order with Amazon last fall and when the camera didn't arrive in the first wave I cancelled. Re-ordered from Amazon on 12/14/15 and just received the camera a few days ago. Seems to be working well with no focusing problems or other issues.

V

Vivek

Congrats, Carl! :)

For me the C (ontinuous auto focus) works better (fast!) than the S mode.

Look forward to your pics!