The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Work well all the way to 1/2000s.

a tiny crop from a flash shot (f/8)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that's more detail than I ever hoped to see!

I wonder what I look like to an eye as big and sharp as that one? :bugeyes:

Kirk

V

Vivek

There is a review out and I do agree with the conclusions.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/rx1r-ii-review

Instead of the thumbs grip one is better served by using Monza's custom grip. With it, it is a totally different camera altogether, in terms of handling.

Sony should be promoting this grip instead of the silly accs they are trying to sell.

dandrewk

There is a review out and I do agree with the conclusions.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/rx1r-ii-review

Instead of the thumbs grip one is better served by using Monza's custom grip. With it, it is a totally different camera altogether, in terms of handling.

Sony should be promoting this grip instead of the silly accs they are trying to sell.
The critique about the thumb grip getting in the way of important controls was totally absurd. I guess he didn't actually use one, unless he needs constant access to the playback button, which is easily accessible by flipping the lever.

It's always a personal experience, but I didn't like the custom grips. But I do like the thumb grip, a lot, and it makes the camera much easier to hold with one hand. For me.

V

Vivek

It's always a personal experience, but I didn't like the custom grips. But I do like the thumb grip, a lot, and it makes the camera much easier to hold with one hand. For me.
Have you ever tried Monza's grip? It is ~40 g in weight, covers the bottom (so that the camera cane be placed on ground if need be without any fear of scratches, alllows access to battery/card, prvents accidental video recording) while improving the ergonomics tremendously. Yes, it allows access to all the buttons. :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
We all have to use the accessories that work best for us. I have used the thumb grip on Leicas and was very happy. I don't have the RX1-II yet, but could not be more happy with the Monza grip on my RX1-R. I was worried about bulk and weight, but the grip is a featherweight and fits like a glove (as Vivek has stated).

Attachments

dandrewk

Have you ever tried Monza's grip? It is ~40 g in weight, covers the bottom (so that the camera cane be placed on ground if need be without any fear of scratches, alllows access to battery/card, prvents accidental video recording) while improving the ergonomics tremendously. Yes, it allows access to all the buttons. :)
I tried the Fotodiox (which at that point didn't fit the M2 perfectly). Having the grip on the front of the camera did little for me, in fact it made it feel a bit more clumsy. And it doesn't have a place where I would naturally put my thumb.

BTW, I did a Google search and can't find anything on about a Monza grip. Do you have a link?

The thumb grip is all I need, and it does not interfere with anything. It weighs 30g.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I tried the Fotodiox (which at that point didn't fit the M2 perfectly). Having the grip on the front of the camera did little for me, in fact it made it feel a bit more clumsy. And it doesn't have a place where I would naturally put my thumb.

BTW, I did a Google search and can't find anything on about a Monza grip. Do you have a link?

The thumb grip is all I need, and it does not interfere with anything. It weighs 30g.
Correction: RX1-II http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...t-items&sr=1-1
RX1 & RX1-R Amazon.com : Metro Case Multi-Grip for Sony RX1, RX1R: Front Grip with Thumb Rest & Arca Quick Release (Black) : Camera & Photo

Last edited:
Re: Rx1r2???

So whatever happened to it – the RX1rII? We heard long ago that Sony discovered and admitted to a light leak, and told original purchasers they could have replacements. Some actually received them.

But by now there's been time for Sony to disassemble every one that was made, stick a piece of gaffer's tape in it, and send it out shooting again – along with all those made in intervening months.

Yet still no new ones seem to be arriving at dealers. CameraWest WC say they've never received one.

???

Kirk

Last edited:

dandrewk

Replacing the initial run no doubt exhausted the supply chain, and I'm sure Sony would have loved to have caught up to demand by now.

This is a very expensive, niche camera assembled and checked in Japan. They can't crank them out as fast as the A7's, RX100 etc.

bipbip

Re: Rx1r2???

So whatever happened to it – the RX1rII? We heard long ago that Sony discovered and admitted to a light leak, and told original purchasers they could have replacements.
Well they didn't tell me! According to a list I saw around here my serial number came up red but Sony UK obviously can't be bothered contacting anyone over it.
Still, not to worry, I've not experienced any light leaks - I must add that I only use the EVF when shooting landscapes but these are few compared to the much greater number of street shots I use this camera for and I haven't seen the need to ram a torch down the hole to force it either.

popcan

Well, I have not read all 800+ posts about this, but here's my take, having arrived late to the party.

I bought an RX1R2, and here's why: after so many years of packing around a full system of film bodied nikons, followed by a fling with medium format cameras, I eventually got to the point where I wouldn't, and couldn't, pack all this gear around anymore. Especially when traveling.
So I moved into a m43 system, and lived happily ever after... mostly.

This little Sony with the amazing Zeiss lens on it scratches that "ghost itch" I still had for a full frame camera, and even approaching MF quality. (Though not quite).

Yes the price is steep, but I managed to wait long enough to find a minty pre-owned one locally. And fortunately, at this stage in my life I was able to muster the spare funds to grab it.

I haven't had time to put it through it's paces yet, but it will be my main camera on a trip to Europe this fall... where I expect it will perform wonderfully, based on images I'm seeing on this and other forums!

I am a believer that you can get great pictures from almost any sort of camera, as long as you work within its limitations. But having said that, it's very nice to have choices!

Last edited:

ggibson

Very nice! :D

I still toy with the idea of ditching my A7rII and suite of lenses for an RX1rII alongside a smaller m4/3 or APS-C setup. A 35/2 is just about perfect for personal shooting, although using the 28/2 on my Sony I've warmed to a wider perspective with the option to crop from 42MP (so maybe I should go Leica Q??). I might still have trouble selling my 55/1.8 though... what a gem of a lens! Ah, I should just enjoy what I've got and go shoot some :cool:

popcan

Very nice! :D

I still toy with the idea of ditching my A7rII and suite of lenses for an RX1rII alongside a smaller m4/3 or APS-C setup. A 35/2 is just about perfect for personal shooting, although using the 28/2 on my Sony I've warmed to a wider perspective with the option to crop from 42MP (so maybe I should go Leica Q??). I might still have trouble selling my 55/1.8 though... what a gem of a lens! Ah, I should just enjoy what I've got and go shoot some :cool:

People have said that the RX1R2 35 Zeiss is actually wider than 35... not sure what the actual FOV is though. Maybe someone has determined this?
Be interesting to know.

popcan

Who are those? Couldn't you ask them?[/]

I'm lucky if I remember what day of the week it is! Lol

It may have been on a forum, or one of the many online reviews I've read while deliberating about the camera - I don't recall.

But I'm hoping someone here can tell us! 😎