Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sony directly rivals MFDB on view camera use, announces lossless 14bit raw

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony directly rivals MFDB on view camera use, announces lossless 14bit raw

Excellent suggestions and I must pick up one of them as i fly back from paris in 2 weeks.
    I've added a Caol Ila 12 years to the shelf since then though. Totally worth every penny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice, and several of these models have passed through our home, but I can never keep them long enough to pose for pictures!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So the thread was moved from Medium format to here on the Sony forum where we really don't give a ----!!! Now it has alcohol introduced don't you think it needs to move back? If I paid what the MF guys pay for their gear I'd need lots to drink before and after my purchase... Then a blindfold and a smoke....

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Its all about gravity, as Matthew McConaughey realised in Interstellar . Gravity is why I rarely use my MFD now - that and the black hole effect it can have on your wallet...
    It's about gravitas as well as gravity, some like to be seen using different equipment to other people, now I don't need to the worry about the 'show' with some clients as an actus with a lee lens hood looks expensive/professional/different/not amateur despite the cheap mirrorless body stuck on the end
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    So the thread was moved from Medium format to here on the Sony forum where we really don't give a ----!!! Now it has alcohol introduced don't you think it needs to move back? If I paid what the MF guys pay for their gear I'd need lots to drink before and after my purchase... Then a blindfold and a smoke....

Gives us some good choices for Christmas presents to one self. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dascalos View Post
    Wait until Sony releases the multishot true color version of the A7... Then, the whole MF forum will be moved here... The only thread that will stay on the MF forum will then be the "Technical camera images" which is curently dominated by Cambo & Sony combinations....
    These speculations are ridiculous first and foremost. There is not even a credible rumor and secondaly multi shot is not for everyone but for a very few percentage of shooters basically all studio. Thirdly as a admin I suggest you stop with this trolling for attention. It's gotten old and only reason we have not shut it down is there is some fun in the post. But more importantly more than anything else no one gives a rats ***. We all know better

Besides all that the report to mods is off the charts.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Besides all that the report to mods is off the charts.
    So is the Actus + Sony A combination sales with respect to other view/tech cameras with MFDB combinations... Notice also the Actus version for the A7 sales with respect to the same camera for MFDB sales...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hey! we have the same bottle of Hakusu 12yr; mine not yet cracked open
    and hiding in the back a Lagavulin 16yr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jim it will or should be after reading this thread.......... where's my National Bo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    It's beautiful, I tell ya. A hint of peat and green tea and perfect on the rocks.
    My little corner on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

....the "Technical camera images" which is curently dominated by Cambo & Sony combinations....
    That is just downright ____!

Fill in the blank, I don't want to get banned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by synn View Post
    Is it sharing time now?
    That looks lovely!

(as if this forum wasn't already bad enough for the wallet, you have go and bring Scotch into the picture.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"So the thread was moved from Medium format to here on the Sony forum where we really don't give a ----!!!"

It didn't take long. I guess Sony folk are quicker witted.

Maybe a new subforum where trolls could congregate and call each other names. Perhaps "Under the Bridge."
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    I just bought my third bottle of Hakashu and a bottle of Hibiki a couple months ago. I still have a bottle of 18 y/o Yamazaki and yes it's worth it.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay you guys can always send me a bottle. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping Sony continues to support the A7r with newer firmware upgrades and not just the A7R 2.
    If they are coming out with an A7r/A7s/A7 firmware for 14bit lossless raw, I'm sure there will be additional fixes/chanes in it as well and thats why it wasn't just released.
    hopefully

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie I would hope for your sake as well but I have been with Minolta/Sony since they entered digital and have only seen a couple times they ever upgraded firmware on a product that has been replaced by a newer one with new options. I would guess if they do upgrade the old units with uncompressed RAWs that that will be all the update would include and not much as far as firmware fixes for user complaints. With original A7's selling for well under $1000 usd they are not making much profit per unit sold and essentially are clearing their overstock inventory. Unlikely they would add much additional development cost into these units from a business standpoint. Hard pill to swallow as a customer especially if one saved and just bought one at clearance prices but it is what it is.

As far as uncompressed RAW's being added: if they don't offer it you truly are not missing much IMO. It would not hurt my feelings at all if I did not have it as it in my case is just another option (like video) I will never use professionally and might use a few times just for S---'s and grin's playing around with the body on my own personal images. If it was taken back away on a future update I really don't think I would notice it unless someone posted something here that is is gone. Not to mention that currently I have nothing that can read these files..... I even updated to version 2.2 for my standalone LR6 and it only see's the jpg thumbnail and goes all psychedelic when I try to open these files .......

I just tried a jpg and my LR6 won't even open it once uploaded ....... Play "Tap's" all as I refuse to deal with Adobe Customer Service ever again after my last 6 hour fiasco with them when I upgraded to LR6 from LR5 so I will officially Uninstall this POS Adobe Software ... I am soooo done with Adobe
    Last edited by Jim DE; 21st October 2015 at 10:31.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Nice, but I'd add in a Bowmore, Laphroaig 18 and a Lagavulin
    for the Lagavulin and Laphroaig! Love the former especially. But I agree with Sandeep on the Dalwhinnie too, that one's super smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    this is a very strange comment.
    First one ought to define performance.
    The classic definition is what the image looks like to a standard viewer at a standard distance.
    There are many measurements that can be used to assist in quantifying image appearance such as:
    1) resolution
    2) color fidelity (all sorts of technical variables go into this)
    3) dynamic range which is further affected by the substrate or viewing technique (monitor, print, backlit print, illuminant)
    4) gamma
    5) quantization (or some might say posterization)
    6) psycho-visual factors (nobody really likes natural saturation or contrast)
    7) subject matter high frequency components
    8) focal length, subject distance, and reproduction ratio
    9) distortion

there are also factors as relate to the photographer and his personal choice of tools and techniques.

There are several compression techniques that are employed by camera manufacturers in a misguided attempt to scrimp on storage. The best lossless techniques are truly lossless and the sensor data is recoverable just the way it was prior to compression.
    A lossy compression technique is an engineering defect

by correcting a defect that mfdbs don't have in the first place, it is hard to say exactly what was achieved other than the correction of a bug or misfeature.
    Percentage performance comparison is rather fruitless as well as comparison might be close for one use or technique but very different for another.
    Please avoid these sorts of claims unless you can back it up with observable data.
    It rained all day yesterday in the desert where i live. Does that mean it is no longer a desert? No it simply means that it rained.
    Since so many images posted today on the net are rather small jpegs (compressed i will note) i can maintain with some backing that the average smartphone is already at more than 95% adequacy for use by most folks. Sony's bug correction will make it no better at competing with those phones.
    Thanks
    -bob

bravo !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So is the Actus + Sony A combination sales with respect to other view/tech cameras with MFDB combinations... Notice also the Actus version for the A7 sales with respect to the same camera for MFDB sales...
    Notice iPhone camera sales vs Sony A7/Actus.
    WTF?

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com