The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problem (maybe) with Sony/Zeiss FE lenses

wbhstl

I have two Sony/Zeiss FE lenses: 55/1.8 and 16-70/4. On my A6000 both are loose, meaning the lenses move with a noticeable click at the end of the movement. It seems to be a sliding up or down or right or left, as if the camera mount diameter and the lens mount diameter weren't the same. I first noticed this because of the noticeable click (in the lens mount not the shade) when attaching lens shades. The movement is greater on the 16-70/4 than on the 55/1.8. I purchased the 55/1.8 from a local camera store so I took the lens in and asked if this was normal. They readily acknowledged that yes there was movement of the lens in its mount. But although they didn't actually explain what caused the movement, they assured me it was normal and wouldn't affect my photos. What do you guys think? Can you explain the movement? Is this normal?

I just returned from a trip to China where I used the 16-70/4 for 98% of my shots. I was disappointed with the IQ from the 16-70/4 on many, but not all, of the photos I took. I am not that experienced a photographer and am certainly not technically oriented. Usually my issues turn out to be self induced - operator error. But this time I am not sure. I don't know if the issues I saw could be related to the movement of the lens in its mount or not.

I have included a set of photos to show the problem. In case you don't read Chinese, this is a noodle shop selling yellow noodles with donkey meat - the signature dish of the area. The intended focus was on the characters on the left window - ISO 250, f5, 1/1600, fl 27mm. The center is passable but look at the windows. By the outer edge of either window, but especially the right one, the image has degraded to an unacceptable level. Both lower corners are even worse.

Can anyone offer an explain as to why the IQ for the noodle shop image is so bad - or at least I think it is? Could it be due to the lens movement? Is there operator error here? Are there factors I am missing?

Thanks for any comments, opinions, or advise,

Bill

Attachments

wbhstl

Thanks Vivek, I wish I had seen this report before I bought the lens. I had viewed Jordan Steele's review on Admiring Light and he reported soft corners but not the complete break down of detail that I am seeing. Decentering may also be affecting the right side of the images. What is perplexing though is that not all images are this bad which is why I was fishing for comments on the lens/mount movement issue (or non-issue).

Pradeep

I think one of the problems we are seeing more and more these days is the inability of many lenses to stand up to scrutiny of the kind that they are subjected to in the digital era, especially with FF sensors. That this lens is bad even on an APS-C body of course is a particular shame but this is becoming a major issue with older lenses.

We are also using high resolution sensors that are already very needy of good technique and a vibration/shake-free environment, couple that with a less than stellar lens and our desire to pixel-peep, and you have a less than satisfactory outcome.

I truly believe that lenses today are unable to, in most instances deliver what a sensor demands of them. Perhaps the time has come to focus on sensors that provide better low-light capability, AF, IBIS, lossless compressed RAW etc instead of simply cramming more pixels.

It is rare that an (affordable) combo of lens and camera truly compliment each other though the a7RII and Batis 25 are just about as good as it can get.

bipbip

On my A6000 both are loose, meaning the lenses move with a noticeable click at the end of the movement. It seems to be a sliding up or down or right or left, as if the camera mount diameter and the lens mount diameter weren't the same. I first noticed this because of the noticeable click (in the lens mount not the shade) when attaching lens shades. The movement is greater on the 16-70/4 than on the 55/1.8. ../.. They readily acknowledged that yes there was movement of the lens in its mount. ../.. But although they didn't actually explain what caused the movement, they assured me it was normal and wouldn't affect my photos. ../.. Can you explain the movement? ../.. I don't know if the issues I saw could be related to the movement of the lens in its mount or not.
If both lenses are loose it's the camera mount.
The movement will always seem greater on the heavier and longer zoom.
They can assure all they like but it has affected your photos.
The movement is due to the mount on the camera body either being faulty from the outset or it becoming loose with use.
Some of your photos are affected differently because we hold our cameras in slightly different positions, sometimes bearing more of the weight by the lens barrel and sometimes letting this weight hang more on the lens mount. Put the gear on a tripod, hold the lens in different positions, making notes and then check the images - you'll see the answer there.

The Photozone article certainly does not coincide with my copy of the 16-70 on my a6000.