The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it crazy to buy a Rx-1 now (version 1)?

Lucille

Lucille,

Love the concert shots.

Do you an external viewfinder?

Jim

No sir, I use the LCD screen like a point and shoot, the Rx1 excels in lowlight even though I read to the contrary, I literally have 100's of shots that prove it. I don't use flash, to freeze motion in lowlight one must use a faster shutter speed of say around 1/200sec or so, the Rx1 works magic for me and has a sweet look, I love its black and white look. Some of the venues I shoot in don't allow 'professional' cameras and flash photography as it is a distraction to the musician, little do they know that the Rx1 that has always been allowed as they dismiss it as a point and shoot is
extremely powerful and capable.

a few more shots:

philip_pj

Like with the a7r, so many people fuss themselves out of the sheer image quality of the RX1, it seems to me. The day I bought one - around three years back - I put the EVF on it never to remove it, bought a bag that enabled the camera to stand upright inside, got a 49>37mm 'hood', Gariz case and conventional strap. The EVF is still stiff in use but I don't head butt it, and it never slides even a millimeter. They are a great option for travel guys, if the other cam fails a 35/2 this good can do a heck of a lot. Best of all, the ergo is 90% the same as the a7 cameras, so easy swapping leaves more time for photography. Ambient light is great with it, so flash is best avoided, for me. The tilt EVF gets me shots impossible with other EVFs for the same reason a waist finder used to work well. Not sure if the new one with the crazy 'flash cube' popup unit does tilt?

Buying - they go for way less than an FE 35/1.4 or even a Loxia 35/2. Over at Fred's place the average seems to be ~$1100-1200. You would struggle to find a high end 35mm for that money and it won't be as good overall or have a macro, and then there is the 'still in use' sensor, good for ISO 4800-6400. But it's not a camera for feature creep fans (IBIS, 4K etc), as the goodness is at the heart of the matter (hand assembly of individual lens-sensor units), not the periphery. People laughed back in early 2013 when I said it was a classic camera - they are not laughing so much now. Even if you don't get along with it, resale will stay high - I doubt you'll see them for $500 for years.

Tim

I would like to know what video using the RX1 is like?

Not looking for 4K, just 1080P at 24/30 or 60 would be great.
I am not expecting it to be great but there is the odd video grab that I make and IF the RX1 can manage something half decent it will be fine.
Not a deal breaker for me, I understand its a stills camera but nonetheless I'd use some video ability occasionally.

Tim

I would like to know what video using the RX1 is like?

Not looking for 4K, just 1080P at 24/30 or 60 would be great.
I am not expecting it to be great but there is the odd video grab that I make and IF the RX1 can manage something half decent it will be fine.
Not a deal breaker for me, I understand its a stills camera but nonetheless I'd use some video ability occasionally.
To answer my own question the video on the RX1 fairly well reviewed here - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx1/sony-rx1VIDEO.HTM
Probably best teamed with something else like a RX100 for casual video.

JMaher

I blame all of you but most especially Lucille. :)

I ordered a used RX1 from KEH in LN- condition. They were having a sale on Sony over the weekend. While the new model looks great I have my A7RII for any professional or more demanding work and hope the RX1 turns out to be a good carry it everywhere and especially a vacation camera. Will let you all know after it arrives in a few days.

Jim

I ordered a used RX1 from KEH in LN- condition. They were having a sale on Sony over the weekend. While the new model looks great I have my A7RII for any professional or more demanding work and hope the RX1 turns out to be a good carry it everywhere and especially a vacation camera. Will let you all know after it arrives in a few days.

Jim
Add me to that list as well. It's a lovely little camera so far and a really nice compliment to my A7Rii setup. I'm actually liking having a camera with a "small" resolution sensor. And so far the lens seems every bit as nice as advertised.

Thanks for the nudge getdpi. :)

Lucille

Jim

You will love this little camera.....So tiny, so powerful, so easy to take everywhere.....and the files...... THE FILES MAN, THE FILES!

the Rx1 is magic.