The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R 2 Power Supply

Peter_C

I was using the camera for 4K video and thought to power with the Sony power supply via usb cable to avoid changing the battery. To my surprise, the camera shut down with "battery exhausted" message. When I contacted Sony support, I was told the supplied usb / ac charger would not power the camera and I would need the Sony W20 unit with dummy battery. But it seems to me one of the features of the mk2 was being able to power through usb.

Attachments

Peter_C

I double checked all settings per manual instructions, and did note the usb/ac charge icon was displayed. I now see there's a noted "exception" in the instructions:

"Under certain conditions, power may be supplied from the battery pack supplementarily even if you are using the AC adaptor".

Annna T

I was using the camera for 4K video and thought to power with the Sony power supply via usb cable to avoid changing the battery. To my surprise, the camera shut down with "battery exhausted" message. When I contacted Sony support, I was told the supplied usb / ac charger would not power the camera and I would need the Sony W20 unit with dummy battery. But it seems to me one of the features of the mk2 was being able to power through usb.
I never understood the USB/AC power supplied accessory as allowing the camera to function, but just as another way to load the battery. Now having both that power supply and the external charger, you can load two batteries at the same time.
If you take the battery out of the compartment, I don't think you can power the body on for anything. You need to have something in the battery compartment whether a fake battery or a true one. I will test it now in order to see whether that can may be work for stills, if not for movies.

Last edited:

Knorp

It's kind of a weird construction that may work only fine for stills.
Perhaps video drains more power than the AC adaptor can supply, hence the remark in the manual Peter referred to.
And the battery is not charged while the power (read: camera) is on.

Annna T

It's kind of a weird construction that may work only fine for stills.
Perhaps video drains more power than the AC adaptor can supply, hence the remark in the manual Peter referred to.
And the battery is not charged while the power (read: camera) is on.
What is sure is that if you don't have any battery inside of the compartment, the the supplied USB/AC accessory won't allow the camera to power on. I just tested it.

Next test would be to put on an almost empty battery and see whether the USB/AC power accessory allows you to continue shooting much longer.. But right now all my batteries are fully loaded and this test implies more shooting time, to be sure that the body is able to suck power from that combination.