Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony Pro Support

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Pro Support

Hello all, can anyone here share their experience with Sony Pro Support? Is it a good deal/value?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony Pro Support

I am on the program but cannot offer much first hand experience using it.... I have not had to send anything in for service ....

I am hearing some favorable experiences from other's recently ....
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I joined about two months ago after evaluating the pluses or minuses and decided there were more pluses. Just the fact that Pro support is available for any question that you might have is invaluable. I had them set up a cleaning of my A7r backup camera which went extremely well. I received a prepaid package sticker from them and send it out to Connecticut for cleaning and inspection. Four days later it came back totally cleaned, calabrated and looking brand-new. As a pro member you get three cleanings a year. I've also sent requests for firmware and software improvements to them which they foreword to the A7 technical team, who knows if it'll do any good but it's worth a try. Representatives were extremely personable and helpful. I'm looking forward to also using them to try out some of the new lenses especially a telephoto for my A7R2. A Hundred dollars for a years support seems to be a good deal from my perspective especially when they will loan you a camera in the event of a catastrophic failure. One other thing I forgot to say was you get a 20% discount on any repairs. I also requested that Sony Pro should have warranties you can buy directly from Sony when buying a camera from companies like B&H. They do honor some other extended warranties but not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    I am on the program but cannot offer much first hand experience using it.... I have not had to send anything in for service ....

I am hearing some favorable experiences from other's recently ....
    Last edited by DennisHHH; 3rd November 2015 at 05:36.

Post Thanks / Like

I got an email acceptance for the Pro Support program, but it was full of spelling and grammar mistakes. Honestly, it seemed like a phishing email. Strange. But I did apply, so maybe it's legit. I guess I'll call and see what's what.

--d

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like it's a pretty good deal.
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    I got an email acceptance for the Pro Support program, but it was full of spelling and grammar mistakes. Honestly, it seemed like a phishing email. Strange. But I did apply, so maybe it's legit. I guess I'll call and see what's what.

--d
    I would doubt very seriously if it was legit... I have never heard them do this before at least here in the USA. Personally, I would forward the letter you got to your Sony electronics division management for verification and certification.

The pro support application require a fair amount of time consuming busy work involving sending the serial numbers of two full frame bodies and 3 G lenses. You company web addy Etc .... It is IMO over kill and why I say it is most likely a phish from someone trying to get $100 from you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So can anyone post the correct link for this service? TIA.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I need to do this as well
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link ... it says you need 3 Sony FF lenses as well as bodies but I don't think you do

https://esupport.sony.com/info/1523/US/EN

EDIT : Also note that the SUBMIT button does not work. You apparently need to print or save a copy and send it to Sony.

I'd be interested in hearing the procedure other's used as I tried the submit method a few times and got no reply....
    Last edited by mbroomfield; 3rd November 2015 at 05:33. Reason: Added comments
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like

I went directly through the Upper Level Manager heading up this Program in the USA when it was first starting out. She was very helpful and expedited my membership but this is not the way they prefer to take applications.

I would suggest talking directly with those who are managing this program directly after you have your application filed out to expedite the process. This is their contact info

"Our dedicated support team is available seven days a week between 7 AM 4 PM PST and can be reached by calling 866-470-7669 or emailing [email protected]."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with Sony Pro Support yesterday after being accepted in to the program and my packet is on the way!
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I sent in a saved PDF 8 days ago and finally got an email today telling me I was accepted so I called and paid the entrance fee. Given the stories about Precision Camera for normal service I'm happy I'm covered now.
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like

I would doubt very seriously if it was legit... I have never heard them do this before at least here in the USA. Personally, I would forward the letter you got to your Sony electronics division management for verification and certification.

The pro support application require a fair amount of time consuming busy work involving sending the serial numbers of two full frame bodies and 3 G lenses. You company web addy Etc .... It is IMO over kill and why I say it is most likely a phish from someone trying to get $100 from you
    This is the acceptance e-mail I received from ProImaging Support a few months ago. I thought it was cordial and appropriate:
    "Dear Member,

Congratulations, you have been approved to join the SONY Imaging Pro Support Program. Please contact us at XXXX M-F 7am PT-4pm PT to pay your yearly membership fee. The membership fee is $100. Once we received your payment, we will send you your Welcome Kit, which includes your membership card with your membership id#"

The e-mail provides all the contact information, the name of program director, phone and even his cell phone number. Responses are fast via e-mail and every time I called someone picked up.

Upon payment, they send a more formal e-mail:

"Dear XXXX,

Welcome to the Sony Imaging PRO Support program. We have sent you a Welcome Kit (tracking number: 77397430XXXX). On behalf of everyone at Sony α (alpha), we would like to thank you for being a valued Sony customer and for giving us the opportunity to assist you through our professional services program.

Your Sony Imaging PRO Support program gives you access to the following benefits*:

Expert Support
    • U.S. dedicated phone and email support
    • 3 Days repair turnaround time
    • Repair loaners
    • Pre-purchase evaluation loaners
    Equipment Maintenance
    • 3 free cleanings and maintenance
    • Pre-paid in-bound and return shipping
    • 20% discount on out-of-warranty repairs

* Subject to the program terms and conditions at Sony Digital Imaging PRO Support, which may be updated from time to time.

As a reminder, only registered Sony products are eligible for benefits of this program. Please provide us with the model, serial number, description of problem, and any special request.

Please have your member ID (USXXXX) readily available when requesting assistance. Our dedicated support team is available seven days a week between 7 AM – 4 PM PST and can be reached by calling 866-470-7669 or emailing [email protected].

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your professional service provider.

Sincerely,

Geo

Sony Imaging Support Program"

The welcome kit comes with a nice binder kit, contract/info and Pro Support camera strap. I borrowed the 35/1.4 and 90/2.8G Macro which goes through the Lens Rentals program. LR keeps a separate stash of lenses owned by Sony. Sony helped me change the shipping address mid shipment on the equipment. I imagine this fee will increase in the future but have been really happy with their service. I'm going to use it to send in some equipment for cleaning and will provide an update on how that goes.

Pat
    Last edited by PCinAZ; 19th November 2015 at 16:03.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a member since it started and last Thu I decided to send my a99 in to repair the front and rear wheels getting stiff during usage and while there get a cleaning. I got the label within a half an hour and dropped it off at FedEx Friday. It arrived in CT Monday morning. Tuesday afternoon I got a confirmation letter that gave me the repair number and to notify me it arrived. I just checked the status after reading your 3 day turnaround note and it shows delayed waiting on parts and parts ordered. Needless to say it's not going to be a 3 day turnaround

I have barely used that camera the past 3 months so being over 3 days isn't going to be much of a issue. Now if it would of been one of the bodies I use for most my work this would bother me more but I have backups for backups. We will see how this process pan's out.... I sort of expected a parts issue for this repair.

I will update the board as this process continues ... Right now I am just sitting back and evaluating the experience as I was brought into this program by the senior executive in charge of this program and she gave me her direct contact number if I ever needed it. Hopefully I won't have to use it....
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I thought about and it sort of bothers me. Sony has basically one current body designated as a so called Pro Body and that is the a99 (I use a array of Sony bodies and the one I have in my hand for a paid assignment is my so called Pro body at that time so designations by manufacturers or others mean nothing to me). I sent in a a99 with a scroll wheels binding issue and a cleaning. Now, Sony designates the a99 as a Pro body and it is in Precision for a repair and cleaning under the Pro Support Program one would think the program team would require and supply its 3rd party repair company to keep enough parts on hand to build a number of these a99's from the bench up to a complete camera at any given time. They only have one so called pro designated body ...... I don't need this body and honestly rarely use it but it is something to think about.

The Pro Support Team member handling my repair did call me directly and I did express basically what I expressed above and he stated he understood my position and would push this upwards to his manager so the Team can resolve this for future Pro service users. It's a new program and I am sure they are experiencing some growing pains that get resolved as they occur. Let's hope they address and resolve this issue ..... I would not as of yet say this is caused totally by the 3rd party repair facility as I feel Sony has a major responsibility to have parts readily available or in stock at the repair facility. This scroll wheel binding with use issue is one of the known defects the a99 experiences often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally got around to sending in my application.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

As I noted in another thread here, I called Sony Pro Support Friday when a problem came to light with my A7II.
    I had filled out the application earlier in the day but it had not been processed.

At first the guy I was talking to wanted me to call consumer support, I pointed out that I was looking at 2 full frame cameras and 4 Sony FE lenses with a total investment approaching $8K and suggested that it was a Pro Support issue. He agreed and we went through the trouble shooting sequence to no avail.

He ran it up to higher level support and called back saying the camera would have to be sent into them for repair.

The sent me an email with instructions and work order, including a pre-paid overnight shipping label.

I'll see how fast they turn it around. At the moment, the $100 fee is reasonable, especially considering the pre-paid label.

Canon Pro Service which I subscribed to for years was the same annual fee but they only paid return shipping.

With them if I shipped it from Chicago to New Jersey on Monday they would get it on Wednesday, work the problem and have it back to me via overnight by Friday.

I dropped the A7II off at FedEx on Sunday, so Sony should have it today. We'll see how fast it turns around. Considering the holiday I don't expect it till early next week.

They did say they would keep me informed via email.

Post Thanks / Like

David repair is in CT ... I dropped mine off at FedEx on a Friday afternoon and it got to Precision on Monday before 9am and I am in the Mid Atlantic region.........

Mine has been there for a week now waiting on parts though Pro Support offered a loaner last Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I applied for this today but not sure if the application went through. Do you get any kind of response that it has been sent or received?

I will have to see if they accept my application. I have two full frame bodies but one is an RX1. I also have an A6000. I do have 5 FF lenses.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim I sent a blank form by accident on Friday got a note this morning it was blank and this time they got it this morning. So they where right on top of it. There submitting the form is really odd.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sent in two applications--one using the submit button and one by email. Neither one has been acknowledged after several days, although I got an apparent phishing email about being accepted. I guess I better call somebody next week.

--d

Post Thanks / Like

David repair is in CT ... I dropped mine off at FedEx on a Friday afternoon and it got to Precision on Monday before 9am and I am in the Mid Atlantic region.........

Mine has been there for a week now waiting on parts though Pro Support offered a loaner last Thursday.
    Jim,
    My reference to NJ was related to Canon Pro Services.
    I expect that it should be about the same from Chicago to CT.

One would think that parts at a manufacturer's pro support facility would be a non-issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah One would think especially when Sony only designate one body as a so called Pro Body and that is the a99............

I wrote both the rep handling my Pro Service account and the executive in charge of this program at Sony USA Electronic's Division. She stated she would address this issue to avoid others from having a similar experience as I am having. IMO this is both Sony's and the 3rd party service companies fault...... Sony for not assuring they had the parts on hand and Precision for not pushing to have the necessary parts to build several of their designated pro a99 body's from the bench up. Stiffening scroll wheels is a common a99 complaint with the early models. It's not like Sony has a bunch of these models designated as Pro (I have already discussed in other threads what I actually think of that term Pro Body because being a paid photographer any body I choose to use for a given project are my so called Pro Bodies that day).

I really don't use the a99 that much and I have lot's of other Sony bodies to use if it is in repair so waiting on parts this time is not really a issue. For me it was to get the stiffening scroll wheels fixed and a cleaning while there but also to see just what the Pro Program is like and if it is all that they claim. So far I did not get my body back in 3 day's but was contacted if I wanted a body to use so so far it is what they said it would be........ now where the real issue will be is if the Pro Support group doesn't pursue Sony Parts division to expedite the shipment of parts to the repair service for Pro Support Program products waiting on parts. I am sure Laredo, TX when it was still their repair house had parts and could get them quickly if needed as I have not heard that complaint in the past. I have heard units sitting quite awhile waiting on parts when this 3rd party repair place was used in the past but not having a Pro Support program. I'll give them 2 weeks just in case the parts come from Japan or the Far East somewhere...... after that I will raise the battle flag and voice my displeasure from rep level to top management......... IMO there is no excuse not to have the parts for a current model (especially their designated Pro Body) in the 3rd party repair house after 2 weeks. If it does then someone some where dropped the ball and the request sat on a desk or bin far longer than it should of. I told Pro Support they need to assist the Repair facility acquire parts for Pro Program equipment.

My camera went to a "Hold" for parts status on 11/19/15 and that is when the timer started for me on the 20th.......by 12/4/15 it should move back into the repair system and parts should be available. We will see........... I might give them a few extra days due to this being during the holiday's and ship times can be longer than expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Jim I sent a blank form by accident on Friday got a note this morning it was blank and this time they got it this morning. So they where right on top of it. There submitting the form is really odd.
    I guess if I don't get a response in the next day or so I will try again Very strange that you don't even know if the form was received (or even if it was sent).

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Well an update .. I just checked my repair status on my a99 that was sent in for scroll wheel stiffening with use and a cleaning and was delayed waiting for parts. Status shows in and out of repair from 11/17-11/25 and shipped. Tracking shows arrival tomorrow.

Now the final evaluation will be if it is fixed and cleaned but I personally don't think 8 days in and out of repair on a unit waiting for parts is all that bad. In fact I would say it is better than I anticipated. If everything was fixed and clean I think the Pro Support Program is worth every penny. I will update tomorrow after it arrive's and I validate the work and condition of the body.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on FedEx tracking my A7II arrived on Wednesday.
    For some reason FedEx had a problem getting it to them on Tuesday so the clock started Wednesday, with today off for eating and watching football.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear scroll wheel still feels a bit stiff but I will continue to use it to see if it gets looser with use. Front wheel is great. Cleaning and adjustments seem spot on.

My experience was far better than I anticipated for a 3rd party repair.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rear scroll wheel still feels a bit stiff but I will continue to use it to see if it gets looser with use. Front wheel is great. Cleaning and adjustments seem spot on.

My experience was far better than I anticipated for a 3rd party repair.....
    Jim I actually have had several good experiences with Precison camera. I know there has been a lot of bad written on them. Not sure what to think

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with Precision Camera but, generally I don't have a problem with outsourced repair if the manufacturer provides adequate support.

It comes down to how well Sony provides parts, technical assistance and Quality Control oversight.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy on Pro Support I never had to deal or make contact with the third party repair facility. All my contact was with the Sony rep handling my claim and to give feedback to the Sony Pro Program Executive Director. I do not know what if any contact they had with the third Party Repair company but in this case the results for a body needing parts to be ordered( which I have stated earlier I feel should not of been requires for the only current Sony body identified as their Pro camera) I think the length of time in repair was acceptable.

I hope the Director acts on assuring they have all the parts to build a few cameras in at least their designated Pro Camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im in

Dear Sony Customer,

Thank you for applying to the Sony Imaging PRO Support. Be inform your application has been reviewed and you are eligible to become member of the program.
    To complete your application process, the $100 membership fee needs to be collected, please have your credit card information readily and contact us at Monday to Friday - 7am-4pm PST to complete your payment transaction.

We look forward to hear from you and Welcome to the Sony PRO Support program.

Post Thanks / Like

That is great Guy.. I really think you will like the perks ....

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the same email.
    Complete with the poor grammar. It suggests that "Johnny", the signature name on my email, is not a native American speaker. (I didn't say English speaker because I didn't want to offend our friend on the island that consider themselves English speakers.)

Sony Pro Support still has some work to do.

I called the number, which is the same number I called last week to get help with my A7II problem. It was immediately apparent that I got dropped into the Sony consumer support call center tree. The woman I finally was connected to had no idea what I was talking about. She took my contact number and said she would track down Sony Pro Support staff and have them call me or she would call me and tell me how to get in touch with them.

She provided good customer support. Sony Pro Support not so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same here I sent email and there calling me. Number down or something

Post Thanks / Like

Two updates:
    1) FedEx just delivered the repaired A7II.
    The ticket says they completed repair on 11/27. Considering the holiday and FedEx not getting it to them until Wednesday that's a one day turn around. Up to Pro standards I got from Canon Pro Services.
    So, happy there. Quick test with Sony 16-35, Metabones IV and Sigma Macro, Canon 300 and Canon 300 with 2XSigma converter was successful. Everything focused quickly. The 300 and converter with small spot needed lots of contrast. It worked better with Medium spot.
    I also found the getting focus close with manual helped it find and keep focus.

The explanation of repairs has some interesting comments. Mainly because they are so cryptic that its impossible to understand what they mean:
    "Auto Focus Test, check, recalibration and realignment
    Firmware download: corrections and adjustments; address values measured and adjusted"

They also used a part: "AS ring cushion B" What is that?

2) Got a call back and voice mail from Sony Consumer Support to explain the phone problem and that someone from Pro Support would call.
    Also, got a call back and voice mail from Pro Support saying there was a phone problem and they would call back to collect the information to complete enrollment.

So, good experience all around.

My only suggestion is that Pro Support needs to find a way to direct calls if there is a problem so they DO NOT go to consumer support. A harried pro, with a problem, is not going to be understanding about having to go through 4 or 5 menu layers on the consumer site to find a person to talk to, then to find out they have no idea what Pro Support is all about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree I want a direct line to Pro support

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Agree I want a direct line to Pro support
    I think the 866-470-xxxx is supposed to be direct to Pro Support, its just that when the problem occurred it rolled over to the Consumer call center. That's a setup error on Sony Telecom Management's part.

I called it again about a half hour ago and it rang about 6 times then went to a person's voice mail. The name was asian sounding and said they were unavailable. At least that's better than Consumer center. Ideally they should be able to send a problem number to a message saying its out of service please use e-mail or web contract form to contact them with a call back number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great

Post Thanks / Like

I think a direct dedicated support number is on your Sony Pro Support ID card

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How are they about responding to a request to join Pro-Support? I sent a request form in on 11/29 and have yet to hear anything.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I filled out and emailed in the application when I had the problem with the A7II.
    I got an email asking for me to call with credit card info on Monday or Tuesday. Then an email saying the material was in in the mail the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just for reference. It was one week from application to approval. The same letter that everyone else received. Awaiting my introduction package.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to call them and pay them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Just for reference. It was one week from application to approval. The same letter that everyone else received. Awaiting my introduction package.

Jim
    My Introduction Package arrived today via FEDEX ground.
    a letter that essentially is a repeat of the email outlining benefits and T&C.
    A sheet with different sized Sony Pro Support and Sony stickers. Not sure what they expect one to do with those. :-)
    A Sony Pro Support camera neck strap. Not sure what they expect me to do with that either.
    And membership card with member number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They need someone to help them here. I am happy to pay the $100 for better service. Stickers and a neck strap will not do anything for me either Not sure what they are thinking.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    They need someone to help them here. I am happy to pay the $100 for better service. Stickers and a neck strap will not do anything for me either Not sure what they are thinking.

Jim
    Jim,
    My comments are somewhat tongue in cheek. Canon did the same thing.
    It seems there is some wishful thinking that because a photographer signs up for their professional service they want to advertise it.

Ironically, I've seen posts on for sale forums offering the camera straps for sale. Apparently there are those that are willing to pay for them. Maybe a way to get some of the $100 back. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was a CPS member as well. Straps were big sale items on FM but I haven't used a manufacturer strap (or any neck strap) for a long, long time.

I understand your comment. I am happy with the Pro Support program and the $100 seems a worthwhile investment. I do think if they are going to include giveaways something like an SD card or battery wallet would be a better choice.

In any case I am happy to have the program available.

Jim