Site Sponsors

Thread: Good news for Sony A7II owners : firmware update

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news for Sony A7II owners : firmware update

This firmware update will add uncompressed raws and better focusing with adapted lenses, in particular A lenses.

Sony to Bring Uncompressed Raw to a7 II via Firmware Update; Follow B&H Photo Explora Blog for Updates

Edit : that page is no longer available. But you can read the gist of it here :
    Sony will add uncompressed RAW on the A7II via firmware updated coming on November 18! | sonyalpharumors
    Last edited by Annna T; 4th November 2015 at 07:25.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good news for Sony A7II owners : firmware update

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    This firmware update will add uncompressed raws and better focusing with adapted lenses, in particular A lenses.

Sony to Bring Uncompressed Raw to a7 II via Firmware Update; Follow B&H Photo Explora Blog for Updates
    If sony decides to abandon the sony a7r / sony a7s /and sony a7 models, I will dump them as a camera manufacturer.
    Even though I like my 35 2.8/55 combo, I'm sure new competition will come out on the market.

If you are going to provide a firmware update to the a7II, do it to the current models. This has always been my problem with Sony, that they treat products like a toy vs giving them long term support. I had their business model laptops.. they looked great, portable, excellent screens.. but support? Zip

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    If sony decides to abandon the sony a7r / sony a7s /and sony a7 models, I will dump them as a camera manufacturer.
    Even though I like my 35 2.8/55 combo, I'm sure new competition will come out on the market.

If you are going to provide a firmware update to the a7II, do it to the current models. This has always been my problem with Sony, that they treat products like a toy vs giving them long term support. I had their business model laptops.. they looked great, portable, excellent screens.. but support? Zip
    May be that they are going step by step. I find it is a little too early to cry about Sony not updating the first generation models : the A7sII got the uncompressed option from scratch. Then the A7rII got it not so long ago. Next will be the A7II. May be that the other cameras will come a little later ? Or may be that their less powerful processor won't be able to handle it. Who knows ? Anyway IMO it is too early to complain about it.
    Last edited by Annna T; 4th November 2015 at 22:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice surprise that they are extending the phase detection autofocus to adapted lenses!

Post Thanks / Like

This link appears to no longer be working.

I found something on Sony Rumors that relates to a B&H announcement. Based on what's there the function enhancements are also good news. Especially the AF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    This link appears to no longer be working.

I found something on Sony Rumors that relates to a B&H announcement. Based on what's there the function enhancements are also good news. Especially the AF.
    You are right..

Sony alpha rumors has a long quote here
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-...#disqus_thread

The info was picked from B&H's blog (?) but I went to their website and didn't find any blog links, just a profusion of social networks links (face book, Twitter etc..)

Post Thanks / Like

What that means for me is, uncompressed raw, great, fine, ok...I am currently ok with my files but cool. But really better AF with Contax G lenses should I decide to get the adapter! Now all they need to do is make a good AFíng Nikon adapter so I can use my 58/1.4. :-)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a body I can rent to shoot my runway shows so I'm not killing my primary with 15k images.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be happy if Sony will support their current generation bodies - i.e the RX100 mk iv... I'm getting frequent problems with compressed raw artifacts in my 9 shot bursts for stacking in PhotoAcute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post

This firmware is more than just uncompressed raw. The other features are arguably more important to more people - improved AF with adapted lenses - and sadly that feature is not supported on any of the first generation models due to their lack of Phase Detect pixels.

Instead of threatening a tantrum, maybe we should be applauding that Sony is adding significant features to a model that is a year old, regardless of its generation.

Providing near native AF speed with adapted lenses is a big deal considering how many Canon shooters are interested in switching but may not want to risk purchasing a $3,000 a7RII body. Now that bar to entry is significantly lower and they can use most EF lenses with excellent performance.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Firmware upgrades can only go so far in terms of time for already released cameras. We can't expect Sony to back support everything.

Besides, they are still in the phase of extending support anyway.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DPreview has more reliable info concerning the coming firmware update that was announced by Sony for the A7II :

Sony a7 II gains faster focus for adapted lenses and uncompressed Raw: Digital Photography Review
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not holding my breath for any updates to the A7, A7r, or A7s though. Sony has a very poor track record for providing useful (i.e. non-bug fixing) firmware upgrades. Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic are all much better at supporting their cameras after release. Jeez, Olympus just updated their 2-year old E-M1 with a TON of new features on a firmware update. At the same time, Sony does the bare minimum and charges for apps to add features that other cameras have built-in.