The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7RII SDXC card write speed - very enlightening !

Stefan Steib

Especially with the uncompressed 14 Bit Raws, People now run into this - without thinking and just because they wish to do best quality.

As someone on a FB Sony group wrote: he had problems to shoot a wedding with uncompressed Raws, as the buffer filled too fast and he missed a lot of shots....... (about like that)

well the files are nearly twice the size, and Sony probably never built the data channel in the camera to be much faster than an optimized USB2.0 internally........ yup.

read it here in Details - that is a tremendous piece of work by Alik Griffin.

Best SD Memory Card For The Sony A7rII | Alik Griffin

Any Sony A7RII shooter should know that. a MUST READ !

Last edited:

Annna T

Especially with the uncompressed 14 Bit Raws, People now run into this - without thinking and just because they wish to do best quality.

As someone on a FB Sony group wrote: he had problems to shoot a wedding with uncompressed Raws, as the buffer filled too fast and he missed a lot of shots....... (about like that)

well the files are nearly twice the size, and Sony probably never built the data channel in the camera to be much faster than an optimized USB2.0 internally........ yup.

read it here in Details - that is a tremendous piece of work by Alik Griffin.

Best SD Memory Card For The Sony A7rII | Alik Griffin

Any Sony A7RII shooter should know that. a MUST READ !
I just want to thank you once more for this info. I ordered two cards last week, which were delivered today and this link was a big reference : with peace of mind I could chose a Sandisk Extreme Pro class I and thus spare quite a lot, since class II apparently doesn't improve the writing speed of the Sony body, while costing twice as much.