The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm Batis v 90mm Sony?

dandrewk

Odd that back a few months we saw a bunch of Pics posted using the Sony 90 but the past month or so very few with the 90 and far more with the 85 Batis. I guess the love is gone ;)
Not even close, not for me.

Several weeks ago when I decided to order the RX1rII, I considered going "cold turkey" and sell off my A7rII to finance the purchase, and to present a challenge for myself to focus my vision on a single lens, single camera.

But when I looked at the images produced by the FE 90 and FE 55, I thought "take them away only from my cold dead hands".

I can't speak for the Batis, but the FE 90 is one of my all time favorite lenses.

I'll be cold turkey for awhile with the A7rII while I learn the RX, but there are many happy times ahead for me and the Sony Macro.

SamSS

Odd that back a few months we saw a bunch of Pics posted using the Sony 90 but the past month or so very few with the 90 and far more with the 85 Batis. I guess the love is gone ;)

I am still debating 90-85-or just stay with the cg90 with my Kipon and save the $1000-$1300. I prefer macro with APC bodies, don't shoot people shots ever, and it will only be used for scenics needing a bit more reach or for panos.
It's just that I ran out of subject :D
Still love my 90mm though...but I have a new 85mm Mitakon to be experiment soon.
a7 + FE 90 @ f5

Jim DE

It's just as I go through the fun with a7 thread one see's a time frame with many 90mm shots then it just seemed to dry up as fast as it started. Then the wave of Batis shots seemed to take over in that thread.

Personally, I really like my 16-35 and the 55 is exceptional. The 55 easily took my cg45 out of the kit bag which I thought could never be beat on e mount usage. When I used the 45cg on this a7rII it lost some of the magic it had when used on the nex5 and 7. The pop was lost and it sort of thru a purple cast(easily tweaked away in post but there none the less). I see a near the same deterioration with the cg90 as well. I am sure the Sony 90 could replace my cg90in the kit from the images I used to see on the net and DXO's test results.

Until I am sure which direction to go I will sit on what I have but a ff e mount lens sale might be all I need to leap. ;) B&H's 10% rewards off they have now is tempting but just means I will have to buy something else later on to realize the savings.

Quentin_Bargate

If I can ever find a 85mm Batis for sale, then I will buy one to compliment my 90mm macro.

The 90mm Macro is superb - the best macro lens I have ever used.

Jim DE

Ok ... You guy's made me do it ;)

The FE 90 is on its way.... I think I will be very happy with it and can retire my CG90 back to my Contax G2 kit. Also my son will get my extensive nex5 and nex7 kit for when their first born arrive's .. It's a win-win-win all around. ;)

My FE hike in scenic kit will be all OEM glass now with 16-35, 55, and a 90. It also has a laea3 and Vello ext tubes just in case I have the urge to play ;)

dandrewk

Ok ... You guy's made me do it ;)

The FE 90 is on its way.... I think I will be very happy with it and can retire my CG90 back to my Contax G2 kit. Also my son will get my extensive nex5 and nex7 kit for when their first born arrive's .. It's a win-win-win all around. ;)

My FE hike in scenic kit will be all OEM glass now with 16-35, 55, and a 90. It also has a laea3 and Vello ext tubes just in case I have the urge to play ;)
Congrats Jim. Please come back with your thoughts after you've tried the lens. I firmly believe you will be happy!

Jim DE

Oh I surely will..... I got to thinking that on my scenic hike ins I often found something along the way that could of used a macro pic of with the NEX system. I would either use tubes or a raynox 250 to get the shot but life will be easier to just grab the 90 and snap it rather than jury rigging another lens to work.

My serious pre-planned macros will still be done with my apc a77II and 180macro as I like apc dof better for this but who knows I may just use the 90 in apc mode if it is as good as I have seen on the web... Gonna be hard to beat my 180 though as I got a very good copy.

Hulyss Bowman

Has anyone compared these two lenses, for people shots?

Reading various forums suggests that:

• The Batis is more compact / lighter
  • The Sony is faster focusing and, being a macro lens, it focuses closer
  • The quality control on the Sony is less reliable
  • The bokeh on the Sony is swirlier
  • The colour on the Sony is more muted
  • The Sony has better micro-contrast, if you get a good copy
  • The Sony is less expensive, but they are comparable in price
  • The Sony is over a stop slower

The weight suggests going for the Batis, but am I missing anything?
If you do not have the A7II or the A7RII, you might know that the 90 is also stabilized. That is a big +.
The Sony 90 macro is one if not the best native Sony FE lens you can dream about on the Alpha system. It is not an entry level lens and i never heard of sample variations. Bokeh is spectacular, colors depend on your pp skills.

This was took with A7R and the 90.

Jim DE

That 90mm macro is sweet....... got it this evening via the brown truck and have been spot shooting around the house....... I think I will be very happy!!!

SamSS

Congrats!
Holy Batman. It must be a special delivery to get it that quick.

My FE hike in scenic kit will be all OEM glass now with 16-35, 55, and a 90.
What about 70-200? I know it a little slow and some don't like it...but this was shot at 198mm f5

Last edited:

Jim DE

Sam it takes one day for me to get stuff from B&H....

The 70-200 just doesn't interest me nor has that range ever been of interest for me(I avoid people shots like the plague .. don't like taking them nor looking at them)..... I have the new A mount sigma 70-200 that I got for a steal (could not pass on the deal I got as I could sell it tomorrow and make $3-400 on it) and a pristine beercan both of which I can count on one hand the number of times I have used them. If I go with a tele zoom I go really long; as I have both the 70-400G and the Tammy 150-600mm. Neither of which will ever see much time on the a7rII though I bought a laea3 just in case. When I go long I prefer to use the SLT's... they not only focus faster but have a better feel with these big lenses in my hands.

My a7rII is strictly my personal hike in scenic system for my enjoyment .... I make my living with my SLT's. Not saying I couldn't use the a7rII but for what I get paid to do the SLT's are just the better tool for me.

jrp

Here is a test of the Batis that includes a comparison with the 90mm Sony. (Raw files are downloadable.)

The Batis' edges are weak, but the centre excellent. This is fine for me, for a portrait lens. The Sony wins at f2.8, at the edges at least.

(There is also a review on that site of the 25mm Batis, which is less sharp centrally, but more uniform across the frame.)

You pays your $£€ and you makes your choice.

Annna T

Finally, I decided to get the Sony FE90mm Macro.

The Batis are nowhere to see here, not even in well established brick and mortar shop of big cities, so I had no chances of comparing both physically. But the rendering and the functionalities of the 90mm macro suit me better. The main drawback was the size and weight. But two weeks ago in that brick and mortar shop where I couldn't find a Batis, I was able to handle the 90mm and I found the weight and size acceptable. That said, with this lens size I feel that I'm back in DSLRs territory. The new lens weight 90gr. more than the Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP macro plus Metabones IV included and it is wider and more cumbersome.
The good news is that contrary to my fears, it still can be stored in my preferred bag. I got it from an online dealer which usually is a little more expensive than others, but right now they are offering a 10% rebate on all Sony gear. I paid only about 780$ (after substraction of the VAT to allow comparisons with the US prices).

I did some tests this afternoon and my copy seems to be OK it has more or less uniform corners. I love the way the out of focus area looks. But to be honest : those older Tamron lenses were gems.. my copy is almost as sharp as the new Sony.

I put a picture in the fun with A7x thread.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

The Batis are nowhere to see here, not even in well established brick and mortar shop of big cities, so I had no chances of comparing both physically. But the rendering and the functionalities of the 90mm macro suit me better. The main drawback was the size and weight. But two weeks ago in that brick and mortar shop where I couldn't find a Batis, I was able to handle the 90mm and I found the weight and size acceptable. That said, with this lens size I feel that I'm back in DSLRs territory. The new lens weight 90gr. more than the Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP macro plus Metabones IV included and it is wider and more cumbersome.
The good news is that contrary to my fears, it still can be stored in my preferred bag. I got it from an online dealer which usually is a little more expensive than others, but right now they are offering a 10% rebate on all Sony gear. I paid only about 780$ (after substraction of the VAT to allow comparisons with the US prices).

I did some tests this afternoon and my copy seems to be OK it has more or less uniform corners. I love the way the out of focus area looks. But to be honest : those older Tamron lenses were gems.. my copy is almost as sharp as the new Sony.

Probably the "smart" choice if you need the lens now, don't want/need the speed, or prefer the more versatile choice.

Honestly the difference in them are pretty small now that I've seen enough shots of both and I attribute choosing between the two is sort of like choosing between two beautiful women. One woman is the girl next door who's kind of a homebody and the other is the "exotic" girl that just moved into your neighborhood but is always on the go. In the end it'll come down to the subjective quirks and availability. For me I give the edge to the Batis and really the only negatives for me personally are the occasional hunting in less than ideal light and the non-IR friendly lens coatings.

seb

Have fun with it!
And don't forget to look back at all the spiders. Because:

spiders see everything... (also if you buy a batis and don't tell us) ;)
(A7RII with 90/2.8 Macro and extension tubes (2:1 macro))

Barry Haines

Probably the "smart" choice if you need the lens now, don't want/need the speed, or prefer the more versatile choice.

Honestly the difference in them are pretty small now that I've seen enough shots of both and I attribute choosing between the two is sort of like choosing between two beautiful women. One woman is the girl next door who's kind of a homebody and the other is the "exotic" girl that just moved into your neighborhood but is always on the go. In the end it'll come down to the subjective quirks and availability. For me I give the edge to the Batis and really the only negatives for me personally are the occasional hunting in less than ideal light and the non-IR friendly lens coatings.
My reasoning for getting the 90mm is that homegirl will be staying around for a good while yet :)
But you just know that the exotic girl will be outshined (for some of us that is) with a more tempting faster version :LOL:

BTW I will just add that both lenses were available when I made my choice for the 90mm and I actually paid a little more than I would have for the B85 (I do feel that the current lack of availability for the B85 has made it more lust worthy than the easier to get hold of 90mm)....Bottom line is that they are both excellent lenses, it will all come down to the needs of each indivdual...I have no regrets with my 90mm and nobody should have with their B85.

Last edited:
You made the right choice with the Batis. Macro lenses are not portrait lenses IMO. Way too sharp for people. High resolution imaging has not done the human race/face any favors.

dandrewk

You made the right choice with the Batis. Macro lenses are not portrait lenses IMO. Way too sharp for people. High resolution imaging has not done the human race/face any favors.
"Too sharp" can be easily fixed with simple post processing.

"Not sharp enough" can't be fixed.