Site Sponsors

Thread: sony alpha with older 3rd party lenses - auto diaphragm - auto aperture?

Post Thanks / Like

sony alpha with older 3rd party lenses - auto diaphragm - auto aperture?

Hi everyone in the Sony forum!

I understand that, when using newer fully electronic lenses with an adaptor which supports electronic coupling, the lens aperture is controlled from the camera, just like with a regular sony E-mount lens.

But what about older lenses with mechanical diaphragm (let's say Leica R lenses), do I have to open the aperture manually to focus, and then step down before I make the shot?

I hope to hear from someone with experience in this topic,

thanks for your replies,

Gebhard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sony alpha with older 3rd party lenses - auto diaphragm - auto aperture?

I always use manual focus with the set aperture. You get a good idea of the depth of field and are not bothered by focus shift.

Only exception is shooting in very low light where sometimes the noise in the viewfinder becomes too overwhelming to accurately focus, so if there is room I sometimes open 1 or 2 stops, focus and then close again. However most of the time under those circumstances you use a large aperture or fully open anyway.
    My Pics
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I always use manual focus with the set aperture. You get a good idea of the depth of field and are not bothered by focus shift.

Only exception is shooting in very low light where sometimes the noise in the viewfinder becomes too overwhelming to accurately focus, so if there is room I sometimes open 1 or 2 stops, focus and then close again. However most of the time under those circumstances you use a large aperture or fully open anyway.
    Thanks pegelly!

So your answer implies that mechanical auto aperture can not be supported?

Post Thanks / Like

That is indeed correct, with MF lenses and an aperture ring it can only be manually set on the lens.