The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sony alpha with older 3rd party lenses - auto diaphragm - auto aperture?

gebseng

Hi everyone in the Sony forum!

I understand that, when using newer fully electronic lenses with an adaptor which supports electronic coupling, the lens aperture is controlled from the camera, just like with a regular sony E-mount lens.

But what about older lenses with mechanical diaphragm (let's say Leica R lenses), do I have to open the aperture manually to focus, and then step down before I make the shot?

I hope to hear from someone with experience in this topic,

thanks for your replies,

Gebhard

pegelli

I always use manual focus with the set aperture. You get a good idea of the depth of field and are not bothered by focus shift.

Only exception is shooting in very low light where sometimes the noise in the viewfinder becomes too overwhelming to accurately focus, so if there is room I sometimes open 1 or 2 stops, focus and then close again. However most of the time under those circumstances you use a large aperture or fully open anyway.

gebseng

I always use manual focus with the set aperture. You get a good idea of the depth of field and are not bothered by focus shift.

Only exception is shooting in very low light where sometimes the noise in the viewfinder becomes too overwhelming to accurately focus, so if there is room I sometimes open 1 or 2 stops, focus and then close again. However most of the time under those circumstances you use a large aperture or fully open anyway.
Thanks pegelly!

So your answer implies that mechanical auto aperture can not be supported?

pegelli

That is indeed correct, with MF lenses and an aperture ring it can only be manually set on the lens.