The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dear Mr. Sony,

Jim DE

Anna I am no where near angry or even slightly ticked off but your point is well taken as to the objective of this thread so I will stop... I hope no one else was angry either and were just putting their perspectives on the table as well.

Last edited:

fotografz

Meh, seems a tempest in a tea-pot.

I switched from Nikon to Sony with the A900 because the Sony used the same 24 meg sensor as my Nikon, but their secret sauce made getting from camera to wedding client half as easy in half the time. (The Zeiss lenses didn't hurt either). So, if those were cRAW I certainly didn't know it, and in retrospect I sure didn't care.

However, I DO think when Sony moved to 36 meg FF and now a 43 meg sensor, it may bring out more finicky photographers with different applications in mind that are buying for the ultimate IQ they can squeeze out of their camera. Who am I to argue with that?

- Marc

Dear Mr. Sony, please fix the interface of your cameras ... the A900 wasn't a terrible start ... but these A series cameras are a mind boggling mess. Thanks.

pegelli

So, others are "selfish whiners" because they happen to disagree with your viewpoint?
'Nope, that's not what I said and also I'm not disagreeing with your viewpoint that the improvements are marginal. You're also agreeing with me that you are happy the upgrade was made. So what's the big deal, it's all water under the bridge and not the topic of this thread.

D Fuller

(As a old manufacturing warhorse I viewed this whole hysteria as ridiculous just like when they demanded the CEO of GM to resign because he focused the companies production on SUV's, Trucks, and crossover vehicle and not green vehicles. Hey government look around on the road what do you see more of? Then as a business what would you make for sale? We all know what cause the worlds auto industries to have issues back in 2007 and it wasn't because they were not making enough green vehicles because even Prious sales were down 13% at that time. It is the same hysteria and misinformation that the media locked onto then that the BS on the Sony boards about RAW files looked like to me... A whole lot of nothing about nothing that turned into something potentially damaging for the future of Sony that whether relevant or not had to be resolved before they went forward)
Since you have chosen to take us off-topic here, can I just say that the CEO of GM should have been asked to resign because he had put the company into bankruptcy. If you won't believe that, then you have to explain how Ford was able to weather the recession without a bailout. They operate in the same markets, negotiate with the same unions, face the same economic conditions. One company had competent management, the other did not.

PCinAZ

I thought (or maybe hoped) we had left the selfish whining about "I have not seen an effect of lossless raw so why would anybody need it" far behind us. Everybody has a different appreciation about this issue, some people want/need it, others don't and that's cool.

But why people find it a good use of their time to ridicule the other opinion because they don't (or do) see the issue is beyond my comprehension. The world is a lot larger then your own little place and the circumstances you meet.

I just find it very much OK that Sony released the firmware update, like Vivek I hope they will continue to do that for older models. I will probably never need or use it, but the fact other people do is enough for me to appreciate it.
What a pleasant forum with decent human being posters. This is my first post and just can't take DPR anymore. There is some sort of entitlement going on with adapted lens users and it's hard to stomach. Anyway, I'm glad I came here to look and participate. I would like a firmware update on my A7r but doubt it will come since Sony would much rather sell the MkII cameras. You never know though and the original A7 cameras are still viable with excellent sensors and still listed as current on Sony's site. I have played with uncompressed raw on my A7rii but don't believe it's making much of a difference. There are a few I trust that have shown the difference at 300% magnification but others that are clearly manipulating images to prove their point.

Lucille

What a pleasant forum with decent human being posters. This is my first post and just can't take DPR anymore. There is some sort of entitlement going on with adapted lens users and it's hard to stomach. Anyway, I'm glad I came here to look and participate.

Wait till you piss me off ese.

V

Vivek

If no FW updates come, I will be quite enthusiastic about the rumored new Nikon mirrorless platform (I already am).

Change will not be very painful as thankfully Sony made it easy with few useful/reliable lenses and accs and I have no EOS lenses to use. :)

uhoh7

If no FW updates come, I will be quite enthusiastic about the rumored new Nikon mirrorless platform (I already am).

Change will not be very painful as thankfully Sony made it easy with few useful/reliable lenses and accs and I have no EOS lenses to use. :)
The giants are stirring.......

Here is what I want it to look like:

image by cameraquest

V

Vivek

The giants are stirring.......

Here is what I want it to look like:

image by cameraquest
Now that is a hood (lightweight and tiny) that I could bring myself to paying 140 Euros. :)

V

Vivek

Despite the plastic mounts, The A7r and the A7 still could benefit from a FW upgrade. ;)