Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zeiss 16-35/2.8: RUN don't Walk !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss 16-35/2.8: RUN don't Walk !!!!

I did a few tests and comparisons with the 24-70. I feel the 16-35 is more refined with internal zooming and the focusing and zoom rings are much smoother (too smooth in my opinion). The colors are very clearly on the cooler side, unlike all other 3 ZA lenses. Now performance wise, I have some reservations and will not give my opinion before I inquire more about it. The 24-70 seems to be better in all test at all apertures and in every part of the pictures. I noticed some back focusing with the lens so I did a series of tests with AF adjust, and a very strange thing happened. The sharpest results come at -2 AND +2 adjustments which is absolutely absurd. I repeated the tests at different focal lengths and different subjects, but results were mostly repeatable. I believe this lens must have an odd field curvature shape, and Sony must have adjusted the AF for this lens to account for it, making it not as sharp in the center. This is only guessing from my side, but will wait until the weekend and do some more tests before I post some samples.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did a color chart test of all 4 Zeiss lenses using consistent profoto strobe lighting ... no color differences ... my 16-35 wasn't cooler.

My 16-35 zoom ring is well dampened and most certainly isn't loose, but does offer slightly less resistance compared to the 24-70 ... which is as it should be since the 24-70 has to restrain zoom creep due to the front section extension ... I hate zoom creep, which the Zeiss 24-70 doesn't do, thank God.

So far, none of the lenses I am using for the A900 camera need any focus adjust that I can detect (Zeiss or Sony) ... and that is consistent for both of my A900 bodies. That was NOT true for my Nikon D300 where I had to micro adjust almost every lens .... which turned out to be mostly the camera, however it's now also spot on thanks to Nikon service ... and they did it door-to-door in less than a week.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Er, make that "not true for my Nikon D3" ... not the D300, which is long gone. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Did a color chart test of all 4 Zeiss lenses using consistent profoto strobe lighting ... no color differences ... my 16-35 wasn't cooler.
    Mine is very clearly on the cool side. It reminded me of the Contax 18mm f/4. I'm starting to suspect that I might have a bad copy or something