The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony E to Nikon Autofocus adapter

Slingers

This is great news. I can't wait to see how this adapter is from the early adopters.

I have too many early adapters to get this one. I'm waiting for the one with updatable firmware.

V

Vivek

Few of the Nikon zooms that i would be interested in how they do on the A7 series cams are the 14-24 and the 200-500.

I too look forward to the results from the early adopters of this adapter.

With Sony issuing FW updates too often, i am totally lost with all the variables one has to deal with. :LOL:

gurtch

Over on SAR, (Jan 22, 2016), they reported they were selling on ebay. I went there and they are all sold out! I would have bought one!
Dave in NJ

gurtch

I just bought one on ebay (Feb 26, 2016). It is shipping from China/Hong Kong, and will not arrive for about a month. I have many Nikon mount lenses...I will report here when I get the adapter.
Dave in NJ (USA)

ftbt

Just ordered one today from Aliexpress, (from China), to use with my 14-24 and 24-70. Should be here in a couple of weeks. It appears that the first production run sold out quite quickly and this is a new production run, which, hopefully will also contain the new firmware. In case anyone needs it, here is a link to the new firmware: http://www.commlite.com/en/down.php

ftbt

Just got notification that my adapter has shipped (via DHL) from China. Scheduled to be delivered in 4 days. I will report back how it works with my 14-24 and 24-70 on my A7Rii.

gurtch

Just got notification that my adapter has shipped (via DHL) from China. Scheduled to be delivered in 4 days. I will report back how it works with my 14-24 and 24-70 on my A7Rii.
Hi ftbt: Where are you located? I ordered mine from ebay and I live in the USA, and they have shown delivery about a month from now, and I ordered it weeks ago.
Thanks
Dave in NJ

ftbt

Hi ftbt: Where are you located? I ordered mine from ebay and I live in the USA, and they have shown delivery about a month from now, and I ordered it weeks ago.
Thanks
Dave in NJ
I am in California. I just checked with DHL this morning. The adapter is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Tuesday). Not bad from China ... it was sent out on Saturday!

In case anyone is interested, here is where I bought it from:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7450013005.html?orderId=73747917956987

gurtch

Thanks ftbt. I ordered mine on Feb 26, and they are showing delivery between Fri Apr 22 and Fri May 6!!! I would say ordering from ebay is not the way to go. I also paid $10 more!
Dave in NJ

ftbt

... I would say ordering from ebay is not the way to go. I also paid $10 more!Dave in NJ
6 of one ... 1/2 a dozen of the other. I know the first batch sold out quickly, then there were delays because of the Chinese New Year Holidays, and new firmware, and your copy is probably coming from Hong Kong, whereas my came from Shenzen. As long as it works with my 14-24 and 24-70, I will be happy. I also have an older 80-200. It would be the icing on the cake if it worked with that lens as well.

ftbt

DHL just dropped off the adapter. No duty. Nicely packaged. Instruction brochure + 1 year warranty. Appears to be well made. NOTE: instructions indicate to mount the lens first to the adapter and then mount the adapter to the camera.

No time tonight to play with it. Have to wait until tomorrow.

Oh, Commlite is located in Shenzen and so is the seller linked to above. So, that might be a reason I got it so quick?

gurtch

DHL just dropped off the adapter. No duty. Nicely packaged. Instruction brochure + 1 year warranty. Appears to be well made. NOTE: instructions indicate to mount the lens first to the adapter and then mount the adapter to the camera.

Oh, Commlite is located in Shenzen and so is the seller linked to above. So, that might be a reason I got it so quick?
Hi Ftbt: Have you had a chance to try the adapter? Which Nikon lenses did you try? I ordered mine Feb 26, just heard it shipped April 2, and delivery expected between April 22 and May 6!! Not a very satisfying experience. Being shipped via Hong Kong Post (not DHL like yours). Best of luck with it.
Dave in NJ

k-hawinkler

I am in California. I just checked with DHL this morning. The adapter is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Tuesday). Not bad from China ... it was sent out on Saturday!

In case anyone is interested, here is where I bought it from:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7450013005.html?orderId=73747917956987
6 of one ... 1/2 a dozen of the other. I know the first batch sold out quickly, then there were delays because of the Chinese New Year Holidays, and new firmware, and your copy is probably coming from Hong Kong, whereas my came from Shenzen. As long as it works with my 14-24 and 24-70, I will be happy. I also have an older 80-200. It would be the icing on the cake if it worked with that lens as well.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
How is your unit holding up?
I looked for comments at the above mentioned url and found two.
One comment said the unit shipped fast.
The other said the unit stopped working AF after a few days. :facesmack:
I would like to hear your assessment. TIA.

I will wait to hear from users before considering to order an adapter.

k-hawinkler

Commlite Nikon AF Adapter & PC-E lenses: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Quote:

"Jut got my Commlite Nikon AF adapter for the A7R mkii. Overall does about what I expected. Struggles a lot on the 80-400mm AFS lens in lower light (unusable) making manual focus the only option. However I bought it primarily to transfer exit data and to be able to control and stop down the aperture from the camera. Does this as expected. One question remains - Picture taking and aperture stop down works with the 45mm PC-E lens but the little button to preview the taking aperture doesn't function. Anyone else got this or 24mm / 85mm PC-E lenses to know whether this works or not ?"

gurtch

Hi all:
I finally received my adapter. Well made, but as of now of limited usefulness to me. I shoot seascapes/landscapes (no sports or action, usually), so I have my A7RII set up for single AF, and only one focus point in the center of the field of the finder. I was not looking for lightning fast AF; I just wanted to use some of my Nikon mount lenses that I use on my D800E. Here is what I found:
Nikon 14~24mm: Works fine (thank goodness--I really wanted to try this lens on the A7RII). Fast AF, seems very reliable.
Nikon 50mm f1.8G: Good AF, locks on, very little hunting.
Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor VR: Useless, will not lock on to anything, continuous hunting. MF only.
Tamron 70-300 f4/5.6 VC: This is one of my favorite lenses for the D800E, but a BIG disappointment with the adapter. Hunts--will not lock on most times, but occasionally it works, but certainly not reliable.
Nikon 85mm f1.8G: Does not AF at all. Useless totally. MF only.
Tamron 150~600mm VC: Useless, will not AF at all. MF only.

The instructions say to make sure to turn on Phase Detection AF, and not use Contrast Detection AF. I was pretty sure I had it set up that way, but, after looking at the menus a half dozen times I cannot find where it is to double check it. Can someone help here?
The manufacturer says to visit their site for firmware updates that will continue to support more lenses. Let's hope they do.
Dave in NJ

gurtch

Hi all:
I finally received my adapter. Well made, but as of now of limited usefulness to me. I shoot seascapes/landscapes (no sports or action, usually), so I have my A7RII set up for single AF, and only one focus point in the center of the field of the finder. I was not looking for lightning fast AF; I just wanted to use some of my Nikon mount lenses that I use on my D800E. Here is what I found:
Nikon 14~24mm: Works fine (thank goodness--I really wanted to try this lens on the A7RII). Fast AF, seems very reliable.
Nikon 50mm f1.8G: Good AF, locks on, very little hunting.
Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor VR: Useless, will not lock on to anything, continuous hunting. MF only.
Tamron 70-300 f4/5.6 VC: This is one of my favorite lenses for the D800E, but a BIG disappointment with the adapter. Hunts--will not lock on most times, but occasionally it works, but certainly not reliable.
Nikon 85mm f1.8G: Does not AF at all. Useless totally. MF only.
Tamron 150~600mm VC: Useless, will not AF at all. MF only.

The instructions say to make sure to turn on Phase Detection AF, and not use Contrast Detection AF. I was pretty sure I had it set up that way, but, after looking at the menus a half dozen times I cannot find where it is to double check it. Can someone help here?
The manufacturer says to visit their site for firmware updates that will continue to support more lenses. Let's hope they do.
Dave in NJ
I went back today and fiddled with the 85mm f1.8 G and it now works in AF mode OK. Don't know what I was doing wrong yesterday. I also tried the Nikon 60mm f2.8 G Micro Nikkor. It hunts and will not AF. Use in MF only. All lenses I tried out report EXIF Data.
Dave

mbroomfield

Hi all:
Dave in NJ
Dave, check the Sony Help guide. Section or page 87 tells you how to turn it on
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1520/v1/en/print.pdf

Phase Detect. Area
Sets whether or not to display the Phase Detection AF area.
1. MENU → (Custom Settings) → [Phase Detect. Area] → desired setting.
Menu item details
On:
Displays the Phase Detection AF area.
Off:
Does not display the Phase Detection AF area.
Note
When the F-value is F9.0 or more, Phase Detection AF cannot be used. Only
Contrast AF is available.
Phase Detection AF is available only with compatible lenses. If an incompatible
lens is attached, you will be unable to use Phase Detection AF. Phase
Detection AF may not operate even with some compatible lens, such as lenses
purchased in the past that have not been updated. For details on compatible
lenses, visit the Sony web site in your area, or consult your Sony dealer or
local authorized Sony service facility.
When shooting images in APS-C size, the Phase Detection AF area will not be
displayed.
When recording movies, the Phase Detection AF area will not be displayed.

There are all kinds of limitations though. Just search on "phase" in the pdf and you'll see a bewildering number of points .. eg

When [ AF System] is set to [Phase Detection AF], [Zone], [Expand Flexible
Spot] and [Lock-on AF] under [Focus Area] are unavailable.
When [ AF System] is set to [Phase Detection AF], even if [Priority Set in
AF-S] is set to [Balanced Emphasis], the camera will temporarily switch to [AF].
When [ AF System] is set to [Phase Detection AF], [Eye AF] is unavailable.

and...

When there are phase detection AF points within the auto focus area, the product
uses the combined autofocus of the phase detection AF and contrast AF.
Note
When the F-value is set to F9.0 or more, you cannot use the phase detection
AF. Only contrast AF is available.
Phase detection AF is available only when an applicable lens is attached. If you
use a lens that does not support focal plane phase detection AF, you cannot
use [Automatic AF], [ AF Track Sens] or [ AF drive speed].
Also, even if you use a previously purchased applicable lens, the phase
detection AF might not function unless you update the lens.