The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1R II

JCT

Vivek,

About to land in NYC for a scant 36 hours, hope to do some night shooting with
the Rx1rII for the first time - care to share some shooting tips? I never had the chance to shoot with my RX1r with holiday lighting before! I'm enough of an old timer that I still hesitate before pushing the ISO. Sigh.

Some habits die hard.

Thanks,

JT

k-hawinkler

Vivek,

About to land in NYC for a scant 36 hours, hope to do some night shooting with
the Rx1rII for the first time - care to share some shooting tips? I never had the chance to shoot with my RX1r with holiday lighting before! I'm enough of an old timer that I still hesitate before pushing the ISO. Sigh.

Some habits die hard.

Thanks,

JT

Hi JT,

Obviously I am not Vivek.
What works for me with my A7r2 and lights at night is to manually set ISO to 800, f to 5.6 and shutter speed to 1/20 s or there abouts. Shoot raw and recover dark areas in post. Just make sure not to overexpose lighted areas.
YMMV.

I am also always appreciative of getting hints of doing better.

dandrewk

Hi JT,

What works for me with my A7r2 and lights at night is to manually set ISO to 800, f to 5.6 and shutter speed to 1/20 s or there abouts. Shoot raw and recover dark areas in post. Just make sure not to overexpose lighted areas.
YMMV.

I wouldn't shoot at 1/20 without IBIS. With the RX, to be safe, I use 1/100 or faster. With reasonable effort, I can halve that.

k-hawinkler

I wouldn't shoot at 1/20 without IBIS. With the RX, to be safe, I use 1/100 or faster. With reasonable effort, I can halve that.
Thanks. I took having IBIS for granted! Sorry about that. :banghead:
Of course, you are right, unless you can lean on something or support yourself in some way.

Pradeep

Hi JT,

YMMV.

I tend to shoot a little faster, around 1/60 only if I am shooting people, because then there is too much subject blur even if they are just standing around.

I agree, f5.6 is actually a very good stop, enough dof and yet the background is not too distracting.

I got mine two days ago, not had any time to play with it. Hopefully will post some samples today. What few images I took indoors at night seem alright.

Lucille

For me, the magic happens at f/2, no matter what I shoot. This is where the images pop and the character of the Zeiss Sonnar really shines. With that said f/5.6 is very nice and still produces a nice file, but IMO as you close the aperture, the camera loses some of its mojo and starts looking like other 35mm setups.

Pradeep

For me, the magic happens at f/2, no matter what I shoot. This is where the images pop and the character of the Zeiss Sonnar really shines. With that said f/5.6 is very nice and still produces a nice file, but IMO as you close the aperture, the camera loses some of its mojo and starts looking like other 35mm setups.
Lucille, you are probably correct. A lot depends upon what subject matter you shoot. But I agree, fast lenses are made for a specific reason, to utilize that big aperture even in normal light. I have taken some portraits (not my passion though) with the Batis 85 and the A7R2 at wide open and the images are stunning.

Looking forward to trying this one out.

dandrewk

I love shooting wide open with the camera. The images and bokeh are lovely!

What I don't like about f/2 - CA! I know it's mostly fixable in post, but that slows things down as it usually requires manual editing. I'm hoping that when DxO adds RX1rII support (soon, according to them) it will do better at auto-correcting CA than Lightroom.

JCT

Thanks. I took having IBIS for granted! Sorry about that. :banghead:
Of course, you are right, unless you can lean on something or support yourself in some way.
Hah, no harm no foul - I immediately assumed you were used to IBIS. Man, I haven't hand held a camera at slower than 1/60 since I can remember and usually try to stay at 1/125 or above.

Appreciate the help!

JT

Awesome photos by everyone (e.g. Quentin).
Quick assessment of the new Sony Rx1rM2.
- Face detection works great
- Speedy focus but still not capable of tracking ballerinas.
- Super sharp at f2.
- Very long exposures produce hot pixels.
- Tiltable LCD screen is quite handy.
- Nice to connect a Nikon flash via the sc-17 cable.
- Probably a great street camera, just haven't had time to test.
- Big files, but oh so sweet.
Overall impressed with this Sony upgrade.
A few photos below.

Last edited:

Pradeep

Great photos Joe.

The small size is so deceptive. Still trying it out and liking it a lot. Never have I used anything this tiny with such great performance.

JCT

Nice shooting, Joe. As the mother of a now grown ballerina, love the studio shot. One of the things I loved about my Rx1R was how "non-threatening" and really unobtrusive it was, a big advantage in kiddie photography.

Having the ability to take such quality photos literally in a jacket pocket is intoxicating (and fun).

JT

viablex1

Here are a few shots, quickly post processed, taken at a street fair immediately after picking up the camera. When I say "post processed", they hardly needed any. Right out of the camera, the images are pretty darn good!

All images shot RAW with LPF set to standard.

ISO 100, 1/1250 @ f/5.6:

ISO 250, 1/200 @ f/8.0:

ISO 100, 1/320 @ f/5.6:

ISO 1600, 1/500 @f/8.0

any chance at a hires file of the last one to pixel peep at? It may be my eyes but the focus looks very interesting in that one

Like the shots of sled riding!!

V

Vivek

JT (JCT), Apologies for the delay as I had something urgent to look after.

The only thing that I found that makes a huge difference is to use AF-C instead of AF-S for street (I never liked AF until now!)-everything else is on "auto". Other than that, what matters is that you use your camera to make snaps (and do share it here! :) )!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague

Last edited:

JCT

JT (JCT), Apologies for the delay as I had something urgent to look after.

The only thing that I found that makes a huge difference is to use AF-C instead of AF-S for street (I never liked AF until now!)-everything else is on "auto". Other than that, what matters is that you use your camera to make snaps (and do share it here! :) )!
Thanks Vivek,

Funny you should mention AF-C, I almost *never* shoot in that mode, so your advice is well taken! Unfortunately for me, work stole most of my shooting time in NYC, but I'll get back there...

JT