The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1R II

dandrewk

This from Yerba Buena Island, which abuts Treasure Island. Yerba Buena is in between the two spans of the Bay Bridge, which is actually two suspension bridges. This is the western span, facing San Francisco.

A first visit to the new Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive – not far from where dandrewk took the previous pictures:

Building inside building by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Very red stairway by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

I'd been warned that neither the building nor the opening exhibit were exactly overwhelming, so I wasn't disappointed. The most interesting things to me were a 'nested' building-inside-the-building, and the BAM's own red stairwells.

Kirk

Last edited:
A bike wheel behind a telephone pole in the Mission District, SF

Kirk

2 files stitched

Bike wheel and telephone pole by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Still getting used to this little camera, which has replaced my Leica M-E. I did nothing to enhance the color – just set levels in PS. I didn't sharpen it but it's linked from Flickr, which seems to add some sharpening.

My only problem is it's 'too easy' to shoot. It reminds me of when I had a Fuji X100S and just clicked at things without looking carefully or thinking enough. I'll have to learn to shoot it with more discipline.

Its lightness surprises me. It was clumsy and too small for my hands until I added Robert/Monza's lightweight Metro Case grip. Now it dangles conveniently from one hand on a wrist strap.

It's sharp in the center at f2. in this shot at f5.6, under the number 33462 at the top of the frame, I can read a barcode and its tiny number with ease at 100%.

Last edited:
Tira's Hair Styling, Mission District, SF

Kirk

Tia's Hair Styling, Mission District, SF by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

This one is more of a lens test. I converted the raw file as a DNG without the firmware distortion corrections, and the barrel distortion was substantial. But when I went back and enabled corrections I was able to square it off without the distortion.

PS, in many instances I like the way barrel distortion seems to 'push' the center of the frame forward toward the viewer. I'm going to look at RX2 files both ways to see which I like best.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Still getting used to this little camera, which has replaced my Leica M-E. I did nothing to enhance the color – just set levels in PS. I didn't sharpen it but it's linked from Flickr, which seems to add some sharpening.

My only problem is it's 'too easy' to shoot. It reminds me of when I had a Fuji X100S and just clicked at things without looking carefully or thinking enough. I'll have to learn to shoot it with more discipline.

Its lightness surprises me. It was clumsy and too small for my hands until I added Robert/Monza's lightweight Metro Case grip. Now it dangles conveniently from one hand on a wrist strap.

It's sharp in the center at f2. in this shot at f5.6, under the number 33462 at the top of the frame, I can read a barcode and its tiny number with ease at 100%.

Agree with all of it. Add the super fast AF and one can imagine how "easy" it is to snap with this camera. :D

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague

Trying it out now in BW. The Zeiss looks a lot like a 'classic' 35mm BW lens. The files are very flexible for retaining shadow and highlight detail. Definitely pleased!

Kirk

Zapata.jpg

Another easy shot, just using AutoISO at 1/125 and f5.6

A portrait of a hiking senior citizen (in the style of August Sander?)

I also posted this on the Sony BW thread but wanted to put it here too, to show how l the RX2 is doing. To my eyes, its tones and detail look a lot like medium format.

Kirk

StanAtInspirationPoint.jpg

RX1rII