The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1R II

V

Vivek

Shops and buildings all over the Netherlands display "Mondriaan colors" as a tribute to centenary celebration of Mondriaan.

One shop in Utrecht:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

tofa

Recently got a used RX1RII from another forum (arranged with the seller for it to be delivered from Sony after they fixed the light leak).

A lot of trepidation, but so far I'm liking it. It has a Metro case, and handling is not an issue. Great size and grip for the way I shoot - on a silk sling, often one-handed, set up so I don't need to go into the menus much (an issue that had worried me after reading so much about Sony menus). Highest performance settings, c-af, auto ISO, eye focus available, variable spot focus, etc. - I carry spare batteries... Even with my technique I'm getting acceptable sharpness down to 1/40-1/60 (below that hit and miss); kind of amazing to me given the absurdly high resolution. The EVF is just fine, even with glasses/sunglasses; the tilt screen is handy on occasion.

I'm coming from a few years with Fuji - X100, Xpro1 and 2, Xt1; before that Leica D2 and M8. I decided that I wanted to go back to one lens, one camera. This one lets me do that, plenty of resolution to crop if I want (though I really love the slightly wide 35mm view, seems to be how I see things). The last pic below is a 4 shot portrait orientation stitch, a test of whether I can get a wider perspective when I need it.

I'm at baby steps with PP; sometime Iridient conversion with LR tweaks, sometimes just LR. The RX1/Zeiss is a very different tool than the Fujis, though some of my Fuji recipes work very well as a starting point for the RX1.

I'll be going to Europe later this year, as I do each year - Budapest and somewhere else - that will be the real test for street work, buildings, landscapes, and so on - what I like to shoot. These are tests of f2, f8, daylight, low light, etc.

Oh - cons on the camera: the main one so far is the pathetic excuse for a diopter adjustment control. Really? That's what they could do?

V

Vivek

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

The Hague

Oh - cons on the camera: the main one so far is the pathetic excuse for a diopter adjustment control. Really? That's what they could do?
Tofa, Learn to use it properly to appreciate it.

(Hint: push it in and press down. ;) )