The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried the new DEO Tech Saker Falcon on a7/a7r?

Eddie3dfx

I am looking at picking this up for my a7r, as the youtube video's online do show some improvement on canon lenses for the a7r.
It's mostly going to be for my 24-105, but I may pickup a macro lense in the future.

Annna T

I am looking at picking this up for my a7r, as the youtube video's online do show some improvement on canon lenses for the a7r.
It's mostly going to be for my 24-105, but I may pickup a macro lense in the future.
I don't see how that adapter fitted on an A7r could provide the same focusing speed as on an A7rIi. Only the cameras featuring an hybrid focusing system, aka contrast detect plus phase detect thanks to adhoc pixels on the sensor. The A7r having no PDAF IMO won't be able to take advantage of those improvements. Those who will benefit of it are the A7II and A7rII. Those which certainly won't benefit of much improvements are the A7r, A7s and A7sII. I'm not sure about the A7 which was offering hybrid AF from the start. It could benefit of it, but I never saw any report for that body.

Eddie3dfx

For whatever reason, I thought the a7r was also supposed to be faster with this adapter.
In the youtube video's, it shows quite a bit of improvement on the a7r, at least compared to other adapter that I have used.

Eddie3dfx

I bit the bullet and ordered one from hong kong.
On youtube, someone has a viltrox and the new deotech falcon for the older sony a7r and the autofocusing on the 24mm lens was was much faster on the new deotech.
I will be able to compare my 24-105 between the commlite and the falcon... I ended up selling my canon 50/1.8 recently because I grabbed a 55mm 1.8 zeiss, but at least the 24-105 is a good baseline.

Video

Eddie3dfx

Well I received the Deo Tech nex iii and I must say it's far quicker than my older adapter with the a7R
The 24-105 locks on fairly quickly, but I need to test it more for accuracy in terms of focus. I never wanted to get rid of my 24-105, since I have a sharp copy and now I can finally use it.
I would say the quality is actually better on some of the other canon.sony adapters, but this has bluetooth and some additional programming to assist with speed.

My arsenal will be my 35mm 2.8, 55mm 1.8, and canon 24-105L.
Of course, I will hold onto my contax 28mm 2.8, 85mm 1.4, and 135mm 2.8 for manual shots.
Now I just need to get a canon mount $200-300 macro lens and I'll be set.