The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Surprised by Sony 24-240mm

I came across a good deal on a used copy of this lens ($750) and decided to gamble on it. It's got a moderately poor reputation, but I liked the idea of a wide-range zoom for business travel, so wanted to see for myself. It just arrived and I've taken a total of five shots with it, but so far I'm quite surprised. Nowhere near as awful as some claim.

Sorry, it's a brick wall.

Sony 240-240mm at 49mm @ ƒ4.5 on A7ii
Full-size version here.

dmward

Mike,
I have one too.
I like it as a walking around lens. I generally stop it down to F8 or F5.6 in Av mode with ISO about 400. Reasonable shutter speeds.

Knorp

I never said it was awful ... :grin:
Actually I think for a jack-of-all-trades it's pretty good.

ggibson

I too have one of these for my A7, and I've been very pleased by the performance and flexibility it offers. It's the largest and heaviest lens I've ever owned, but for 10x superzoom on a full frame, it's actually pretty compact. Great travel lens to cover a lot of scenarios. My favorite focal lengths are covered by my 16-35mm and 55mm lenses, so I'm happy to have this one to cover "everything else."

bradhusick

I just couldn't get sharp results anywhere near the telephoto end of this lens. I ended up returning my copy of it. If I need the reach I mount a Nikon 70-200 f/4 and manual focus it.

I also found it way too big as a walkaround lens.

It's really hard to make a lens with this extreme zoom range do all things well.

ggibson

Took my 24-240mm out to the park with the dog the other weekend, and came back with some fun action shots. The 'lowly' A7 autofocus did pretty decently in AF-C mode.