The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony E 50mm 1.8 Lens Image Quality

ggibson

The 50/1.8 is not FE, it is APS-C E-mount.

I have not used it, but this lens is rated very highly among review sites. DxO ranks it highest among regular e-mount lens, in fact.

davidstock

The 50/1.8 is an E lens, not FE (so it is meant for APSC format, equivalent to 75mm full frame).

It's an excellent lens, IMO--very sharp, with image stabilization. One of the very best E lenses. If Sony comes out with a high-spec alpha7000 or something, my copy will see a lot of use again. Having said that, it's not quite as good as the Sigma 60mm f2.8 macro. That's a stunning lens, and inexpensive, but slower, with no image stabilization. I own and like both.

Finally, the Sony/Zeiss FE 55/1.8 also fits on an APSC body, and it is pretty hard to beat, apart for the price....

frozenbb

The 50/1.8 is an E lens, not FE (so it is meant for APSC format, equivalent to 75mm full frame).

It's an excellent lens, IMO--very sharp, with image stabilization. One of the very best E lenses. If Sony comes out with a high-spec alpha7000 or something, my copy will see a lot of use again. Having said that, it's not quite as good as the Sigma 60mm f2.8 macro. That's a stunning lens, and inexpensive, but slower, with no image stabilization. I own and like both.

Finally, the Sony/Zeiss FE 55/1.8 also fits on an APSC body, and it is pretty hard to beat, apart for the price....
Agree with David, the SEL50F18 is a splendid lens for e-mount aps-c bodies. In the center, it's almost as good as the Sony 55, and it has stabilization!

Here's an old capture taken with the lens at f2 on nex-7. :grin:

sel50f18.jpg