Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony E 50mm 1.8 Lens Image Quality

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony E 50mm 1.8 Lens Image Quality

Anyone using this lens and How is the image quality especially with portraits. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony E 50mm 1.8 Lens Image Quality

Didn't know they made a 50 FE 1.8

Post Thanks / Like

The 50/1.8 is not FE, it is APS-C E-mount.

I have not used it, but this lens is rated very highly among review sites. DxO ranks it highest among regular e-mount lens, in fact.

Post Thanks / Like

The 50/1.8 is an E lens, not FE (so it is meant for APSC format, equivalent to 75mm full frame).

It's an excellent lens, IMO--very sharp, with image stabilization. One of the very best E lenses. If Sony comes out with a high-spec alpha7000 or something, my copy will see a lot of use again. Having said that, it's not quite as good as the Sigma 60mm f2.8 macro. That's a stunning lens, and inexpensive, but slower, with no image stabilization. I own and like both.

Finally, the Sony/Zeiss FE 55/1.8 also fits on an APSC body, and it is pretty hard to beat, apart for the price....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    The 50/1.8 is an E lens, not FE (so it is meant for APSC format, equivalent to 75mm full frame).

It's an excellent lens, IMO--very sharp, with image stabilization. One of the very best E lenses. If Sony comes out with a high-spec alpha7000 or something, my copy will see a lot of use again. Having said that, it's not quite as good as the Sigma 60mm f2.8 macro. That's a stunning lens, and inexpensive, but slower, with no image stabilization. I own and like both.

Finally, the Sony/Zeiss FE 55/1.8 also fits on an APSC body, and it is pretty hard to beat, apart for the price....
    Agree with David, the SEL50F18 is a splendid lens for e-mount aps-c bodies. In the center, it's almost as good as the Sony 55, and it has stabilization!

Here's an old capture taken with the lens at f2 on nex-7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sel50f18.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	114687