The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dear Sony: I want Sensorshift Mulitshot - FW Upgradeable or as an app ?

Stefan Steib

Fred Miranda has made several posts regarding the Sony app. called "Smooth Reflections". It takes a series of exposures (up to 256!) and combines them into one RAW file. The purpose here is to smooth water reflections and clouds, the way we would do it using a long exposure and heavy ND filters. Apparently, it works astonishingly well and replaces the need for ND filters and their color casts.

A very nice side effect is this also increases resolution, similar to using a very low ISO. IIRC, he said it was similar to ISOs in the single digits.

Not quite the same as Sensorshift, but has a similar effect. Not bad for a $5 add on.
I have to try this ! Thanks for the hint .

regards
Stefan

ICHBINSpunktDE

So, after Olympus, Pentax did it on their K-1, too. At least the 4-shot version to cancel out bayer filter.
For static images, you basically have a Full Frame, 36 MPix Foveon-like and nearly noise free image... nice move, Ricoh!

Stefan Steib

So, after Olympus, Pentax did it on their K-1, too. At least the 4-shot version to cancel out bayer filter.
For static images, you basically have a Full Frame, 36 MPix Foveon-like and nearly noise free image... nice move, Ricoh!

I am very sure we will see an "A9R" with this too. It is just logical and doesn´t take much effort, is cost efficient, limits filesizes for moving subjects and allows large stuff when static images are shot.

Actually according to the terminology of Hasselblad and Sinar the K1 is a 144Mpix camera, around half of the size and weight of a Phase XF with lens and 100 Mpix, faster , cheaper (1799 $) and with better features.... and much more available and affordable lenses (all K mounts on the Planet). And nobody could say why there shall be only 4 shots.
8/16/32 anyone ? Just a software update.

Bitter for MF, but to be expected.

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Finally there are the first samples of the new K1 by Pentax -one with 4 shot. (sample 5 see link)
Pentax uses the additional file info of the four shots not for a bigger image but for full 4 color , non interpolated data.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/

Amazing.

Can you imagine what would happen with a 4,8,16 shot with the A7R2 chip and even larger resolutions ?

I want it and I am sure I will get it.

Stefan Steib

OK - if you are as curious as I am, do the following:
download the files and scale them up 200%, then do an unsharp mask with default settings (Photoshop CC2015) 100%/rad.1/3.
then go to 100 % view and scroll around the image.
the resolution is visibly at least double or as the numbers say 14720x9824pix. the file is 413,7 Mbyte or 137,9 Mpix..........
And that quality on the sample is from a compressed JPG with under 20 Mpix. Can you imagine what the image from the Rawfile will look like ?

Now the genius in doing it the way Pentax did this, is the filesize is not significantly bigger than a normal oneshot image. Storage, speed and handling are thus the same as oneshot. But if needed you can scale this beyond imagination.....

COOOOOOOOOOOOOL !

Attachments