Site Sponsors

Thread: PlayMemories SKY HDR App

Post Thanks / Like

PlayMemories SKY HDR App

New and very promising application from Sony. Just watch the video promotion and it looks very interesting as it works with RAW as well.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/playmemories-sky-hdr/

Check out the video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHGd0RWoZro

ACH
    www.achdigital.com
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PlayMemories SKY HDR App

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    New and very promising application from Sony. Just watch the video promotion and it looks very interesting as it works with RAW as well.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/playmemories-sky-hdr/

Check out the video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHGd0RWoZro

ACH
    Will not install on an A7R. I guess it is only for then A7RII.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony lists the A7R (along with all A7 series cams + more) as one that is compatible with this app.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sony lists the A7R (along with all A7 series cams + more) as one that is compatible with this app.
    Yes, but installation does not work. Tried both from in-camera and via computer. I really dislike Sony's approach to add on software, better that it be included via firmware update.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Yes, but installation does not work. Tried both from in-camera and via computer. I really dislike Sony's approach to add on software, better that it be included via firmware update.
    Sony advice in case of problems is to use Explorer on the PC and Safari on the Macs, because those are the tested softwares. Also it's not the first time that I see Mac owners encountering communication's problems with Sony apps or firmware updates. Sony also says that Mac owners should make sure that the USB connection is set to the mass storage mode if they encounter problems.

Or may be their servers are just overloaded. Plus if you read their notifications, their servers seem to encounter problems quite often.

Btw, I haven't booted my PC yet and I'm not yet sure whether I want to buy that app. So I'm just telling what I read this afternoon about it.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, I agree that should be the case (except for Stefan and spunked who would pay Sony ).

I would be happy if the playstation site itself is gone. I can't buy any as I refuse to deposit my CC info with Sony who are proven to be vulnerable to hacking even by North Korea with limited internet connection!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Carl, Sony has great cameras but a rather strange software.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't this just look like total amateur crapware?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    That "story" on "alpha universe' claiming how for US $10, at a fraction of a price of real grad filters, one can achieve the effects using this fakeware- you are not buying it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Sony advice in case of problems is to use Explorer on the PC and Safari on the Macs, because those are the tested softwares. Also it's not the first time that I see Mac owners encountering communication's problems with Sony apps or firmware updates. Sony also says that Mac owners should make sure that the USB connection is set to the mass storage mode if they encounter problems.

Or may be their servers are just overloaded. Plus if you read their notifications, their servers seem to encounter problems quite often.

Btw, I haven't booted my PC yet and I'm not yet sure whether I want to buy that app. So I'm just telling what I read this afternoon about it.
    I've never been able to get my A7R2 recognised by PlayMemories over USB.
    Tried all USB mode options, but to no avail.
    However, I did work when I still had my A7R ...

Any Mac owner more lucky ?
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I've never been able to get my A7R2 recognised by PlayMemories over USB.
    Tried all USB mode options, but to no avail.
    However, I did work when I still had my A7R ...

Any Mac owner more lucky ?
    No, never been able to connect via USB on my MBA. I have been able to download other apps in-camera via WIFI, but this new one is just not downloading after purchase has been completed. I called Sony support and they said try again tomorrow so I assume they are having server problems.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No, never been able to connect via USB on my MBA. I have been able to download other apps in-camera via WIFI, but this new one is just not downloading after purchase has been completed. I called Sony support and they said try again tomorrow so I assume they are having server problems.
    Checking the 'Tested Environments' it explains a lot ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tested Environments.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	115134  
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Well now I'm feeling stupid :face smack: The problem was my CC on file with Sony was outdated, but there was no warning or error message to alert me about the transaction problem - no warnings or error messages -nothing. I updated my card settings online and got the app downloaded OK (in camera). The USB download connection still does not work with Sony's web site on my computer. I'll try this little app tomorrow and see what it can do.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Well now I'm feeling stupid :face smack: The problem was my CC on file with Sony was outdated...........
    LOL I've just checked my account and found the same problem, the card # has not changed but the expiry date was more than one year ago. With no error messages it would have taken me ages to solve - Thank you.

Bob.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I don't think so Tim but will test it out this weekend. Has some interesting features especially the ability to save the set up. We should encourage this kind of development.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DennisHHH View Post
    I don't think so Tim but will test it out this weekend. Has some interesting features especially the ability to save the set up. We should encourage this kind of development.
    Of course. It's that kind of thing that no one has and then Sony makes it and it works in RAW, and yet some don't appreciate it.
    Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 25 F2 | Zeiss Batis 85 F1.8 | Sony FE35 F2.8 | Sony FE55 F1.8 | Sony FE90 F2.8 | Sony FE16-35 F4 | Sony FE24-70 F4 | Sony FE70-200 F4

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Viegas View Post
    Of course. It's that kind of thing that no one has and then Sony makes it and it works in RAW, and yet some don't appreciate it.
    Indeed, I was rather surprised to read remarks as 'crapware' and 'fakeware'. C'mon guys, give Sony a break ...
    Anyway, it still begs the question: is it any good ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Bought it. Would love to test it, some ruptured ligaments and tendons in my left foot keep me from doing it. Damn, should not have skipped the last step of the stairs last saturday... should have listened to a wise man who said 'go slowly, it's urgent!'

So, before some of you bash Sony for taking money or the app in gerneral without trying it, consider some things first:

• the app itself is cheaper than any 100mm square filter holder, adapter ring or filter
    • many of you guys have two or more cameras... you just have to spend the money once, actual GND-Filters on the other side, can only be present in front of one lens at a time
    • even the best filters mess bigger than zero with your optical path, this app doesn't
    • you can adjust how hard the edge should be in camera
    • you can adjust the number of f-stops in camera
    • you can WB both areas seperately in camera
    • you're going home with one RAW file if I understood this correctly, not dozens of HDR-to-be-files you don't HDR at all, at the end of the day
    • as long as your cameras are supported, it's kind of universal. Even filter-repellant lenses like the 2.8/14-24mm Nikkor, the 4/11-24mm Canon L, the 2.8/15-30mm Tamron, the 2.8/14mm Rokinon/Samyang... you name them, not a problem at all.
    • filter holder, adapter rings, filters plus cases and bags - they're all packing some weight to carry around. This app doesn't
    • slot-in-filters get as large as 150x200mm
    • combining a GND filterwith a polarizer isn't always fun and games. Now you just put a CPL in front of your lens, or maybe even between the lens and the camera (waiting for my DEO OWL adapter)

Maybe uncompressed RAW might later be added for the A7II*, you don't know how far the development of this app was at the time, that Sony decided to fw-upgrade their cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Indeed, I was rather surprised to read remarks as 'crapware' and 'fakeware'. C'mon guys, give Sony a break ...
    Still waiting for that FW update they said they will be rolling out for the A7/7R/7S.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Still waiting for that FW update they said they will be rolling out for the A7/7R/7S.
    I have the feeling that the original A7x series is no longer being considered for updates containing new features.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

First try using the Sky HDR App in the A7R-FS and FE28/2 with CC filter. Freezing cold north wind blowing down the lake and heavy overcast made for poor conditions to use this app. I made two images using the Blue Sky and Sunset presets (there is also a an ND gradient preset and you can also make and save custom presets). A bit fiddly adjusting the settings for the shots, but I was cold and impatient so might be better after using a few times in better weather. Basically you just select one of the presets, frame the shot, adjust exposure, WB, and ISO for the foreground (land area), then press the SKY SET button (trash button on the A7R), make adjustments again for exposure, WB, ISO and adjust boundary line position and overlap. Finally, press shutter button once and two exposures will be taken and merged. A preview will be displayed and you have the option of saving or making further adjustments of boundary position and overlap before saving the final image. I shot in raw mode and you must select this mode first in the app menu, as settings made outside of the app do not apply. There are other options for rotating the boundary line and image orientation that I have not played with yet. I just set the boundary line at the horizon on the lake, with about 15 units overlap, +0.7 and +1.0 EV for land and 0 EV adjustment for sky. It is nice being able to make refined adjustments using the preview before saving the final composite raw image. If we should be so fortunate to have some sun in the near future I'll give this another try.

Blue Sky Mode

Sunset Mode

Last edited by scho; 19th December 2015 at 06:13.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the feeling that the original A7x series is no longer being considered for updates containing new features.
    Carl, if they do not deliver it then it is less money spent on them.

I have put a freeze on their A7 cam purchase.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Another attempt with the SKY HDR app. Same setup as before with A7R-FS FE28/2 CC.

Straight shot from camera raw, with no effects.

SKY HDR shot (raw mode) using ND gradient with approx +1.7 EV for foreground and -1.0 for sky.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if SKY HDR APP works with adapted manual focus lenses.
    Any experiences?
    Thank you,
    Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petrosilius View Post
    I wonder if SKY HDR APP works with adapted manual focus lenses.
    Any experiences?
    Thank you,
    Chris
    Yes works fine with my Contax N 24-85.
    Carl
    Gallery