The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r Repair

soboyle

I have to send in my A7r after it fell out of my backpack in Antarctica. Damage sustained is a new one for me, the lens mount and entire sensor assembly wiggle inside the body. I can hold the body and wiggle the lens up and down, and the mount and sensor assembly move with the lens. The camera still works, and I used it up to the end of the 2 month trip in Antarctica.
Wondering about Sony repair track record. Is there better repair centers to send the camera? Hoping for a fast turn around.
The camera is out of warranty.

As an aside, I would not take the Sony A7 system to Antarctica again if I were to return. Not because of the image quality, which is excellent, but for camera handling issues in extreme environments. It's just too small and button placement is not appropriate for use with heavy gloves in -30 temperatures. Battery life is another issue.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope Sony can fix you up.

I found this photo of the A7r's chassis and you can see that there's a separate inner section which holds the lens mount and sensor. I'm guessing that whatever this section normally attaches to has broken/come loose.

Sony-A7-II-Magnesium-Alloy.jpg

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
good luck with Sony repair in the U.S. It’s the main negative against sony right now, as Precision One seems to be overpricing everything, and some parts aren’t even available.

I had a 70-200mm that had the rear flange slightly bent, optically seemed to be OK. they quoted over $1,000 to fix it. We’ve seen several Sony repairs like that ... priced so high it made more sense to buy new.

I’ve sent in several canon lenses over the years, some with what seems pretty serious issues, and nothing ever cost that much.

Annna T

I have to send in my A7r after it fell out of my backpack in Antarctica. Damage sustained is a new one for me, the lens mount and entire sensor assembly wiggle inside the body. I can hold the body and wiggle the lens up and down, and the mount and sensor assembly move with the lens. The camera still works, and I used it up to the end of the 2 month trip in Antarctica.
Wondering about Sony repair track record. Is there better repair centers to send the camera? Hoping for a fast turn around.
The camera is out of warranty.

As an aside, I would not take the Sony A7 system to Antarctica again if I were to return. Not because of the image quality, which is excellent, but for camera handling issues in extreme environments. It's just too small and button placement is not appropriate for use with heavy gloves in -30 temperatures. Battery life is another issue.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that you will find a solution quickly.

I had a broken shutter on my A7r this summer. In the EU, Sony's cameras are serviced by Sertronics : Sertronics Schweiz - Service for Electronics*>*

The A7r was still under warranty and they made no difficulties to change change the shutter. The LCD also had those nasty spots (a known defects) and I profited of the occasion to ask for that repair too, which they accepted.

The process was very smooth : I phoned to Sony support, I described the problem and they told me where to send it and how. I don't even think that I had a case number to give. The turn around was about one week, aka very fast IMO. Both the shutter and the LCD were exchanged under warranty. Only nit and quite a deception : they didn't clean the sensor. May be that I should have asked for it explicitly.