The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto focus with anything!

V

Vivek

Techart adapter for M lenses but by extension anything that can be mount on an M mount via an adapter (Nikon F, Olympus OM, Leica R, m39 etc) can also auto focus! :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEwpHChOkC0

Taking the A series' versatility to a whole new level! Awesome! :clap:

UHDR

spotted the video on sony alpha rumor as well. very cool! let's hope it doesnt cost an arm and a leg! :cool:

V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek. How would this work for FLE lenses?
Hi K-H, FLE (floating lens elements, leica speak for IF or internal focusing) is close focus corrections. It reamins to be seen how heavy a lens it can (unit) focus first!

I have dozens of tiny and light weight lenses.

I will make a prediction and offer a tip: the Jupiter-8 50/2 will be a star! With manual focus, it already is. ;)

V

Vivek

The "impossible" would be a camera with Z shift. :)

It is energy efficient to move a sensor than a heavy lens.

Slingers

On the techartpro link there is these comments:

Denis
February 9, 2016 at 4:56 pm
What about A7s? It works with A7s?

Admin
February 9, 2016 at 9:20 pm
The adapter is optimized for Sony A7II and Sony A7R II only. It may not work as good with A7S.

Tatsuhiko Ito
February 10, 2016 at 7:13 am
Does that mean the adapter need phase-shift autofocus system?

Admin
February 10, 2016 at 8:41 am
The adapter only works with cameras which open the 3rd party PDAF (i.e. Sony A7ii and Sony A7Rii)

Annna T

On the techartpro link there is these comments:

Denis
February 9, 2016 at 4:56 pm
What about A7s? It works with A7s?

Admin
February 9, 2016 at 9:20 pm
The adapter is optimized for Sony A7II and Sony A7R II only. It may not work as good with A7S.

Tatsuhiko Ito
February 10, 2016 at 7:13 am
Does that mean the adapter need phase-shift autofocus system?

Admin
February 10, 2016 at 8:41 am
The adapter only works with cameras which open the 3rd party PDAF (i.e. Sony A7ii and Sony A7Rii)
Thank you, great info. You should post that in the sticky thread concerning the use of M lenses on A7r2. This is an interesting info that shouldn't get lost in the usual flow of posts.

mazor

Hi,

I don't know about Leica but floating elements normally compensate field curvature correction for focusing distance.

Best regards
Erik
Thats true! guess this adapter is more suited for more vintage simple M lenses that does not have floating elements and different lens groups.

V

Vivek

I have pre-ordered one. Pending details of the A6300's RAW output, I might buy one of those to go with this adapter.

The beauty of this adapter is not just the AF but the MF is true manual focus and not fly by wire. I have way too many tiny lenses (not necessarily Leica mount) that can be used with this adapter.

V

Vivek

Just got an email that the adapter has been shipped to me. No indication when I will receive it though.

dmward

Interested to hear your impressions.
Since it replaces the normal helical focus of the lens I suppose that the helical focus could be used like an extension tube for close focusing.

V

Vivek

Got the adapter. It looks well made. Unfortunately, the past few months have not been exactly how I would have wanted them to be. I do not have an A7 II or the A7r ii as a result.

It *does* auto focus with a few E mount cams, albeit slowly and only with the default FL of 15mm. The best one is my monochrome NEX-5N, even better than an A7 or an A7s. It is quite amazing to see a 1956 Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5 auto focusing!

The focus motor is quite powerful as they advertise and it is possible get one's finger (skin) getting caught in the focus mechanism (ouch!).

Overall (despite not yet knowing the full potential), i think it is a novelty.

I have a few samples made using the adapter but accessing my flickr acct appears to be impossible now. :(