The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto focus with anything!

monza

You are describing the limitation/uselessness of the adapter. :)

This is completely false.

It's an extremely valuable tool, being able to confirm focus FAR more accurately and quickly than by focus peaking/magnification.

:)

monza

Quick test:

80-200 c/y at f/4, 771 total grams with the c/y to M adapter.

At 80mm, lens focused at infinity: easily confirms focus (subject at 10 feet in this case.)

At 200mm, it struggled with the lens at infinity. Manually focused lens until things looked reasonably sharp in the viewfinder, then press AF: performs a fine-tune and then confirms.

This shot at 200mm at f/4, using Flexible Spot: S.

Knorp

SHIPMENT UPDATES (6/5): Order No. 899 or earlier have been shipped today. For Europe orders, one extra week is needed for transhipment from our UK warehouse. Thanks.
Just one more week ... :)

Got a text that mine is at the post office. Should be out for delivery tomorrow. Odd that the first batch was shipped from CT in the US but this round came from Hong Kong.

Techart Pro arrived today.

This one was with a Konica Hexar AF 35/2 lens conversion by MS Optical on the a7RII. Notice that interesting bokeh and close focus capability with the Techart.

Here is the Hexar AF conversion on Monza's gorgeous M. So light and tiny.

Believe this was with the C-Sonnar 50/1.5 on Techart Pro/a7RII

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Dirk W bought my adapter and is putting it to good use. :thumbs:

Yes this is cool! First Canon FD autofocus test from Dirk Westermann! | sonyalpharumors

I am happy that it went to the right hands. :)

That's terrific Vivek.

The TechArt Pro adapter also works extremely well with the A7r2, focusing the Leica APO-Telyt-R 280/4 - after pre-focusing manually.
BTW, the Video Remote Controller from the Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod adds a 4x digital zoom to (4K) videos only, but not to stills (raw), on my A7r2. :banghead:
So, that seems to turn my 280/4 prime into an equivalent video zoom of 280-1120mm for FOV. :facesmack:

What will they think of next? :LOL: :ROTFL: :LOL:

The 1080p video https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-05-17-A7r22804-APO-RLM/i-qnZmmBs was shot in 4K, when it was windy, raining a bit and getting dark.
It starts out with a magnification of 1x, zooms in and out, with a maximum magnification of 4x at one time.
Autofocus looks like it was keeping up with the action.

I just noticed that in the A7r2 I had also APS-C set to ON. So the equivalent focal length above should be multiplied by 1.5.
So, 280 -> 1.5*280 = 420, 1120 -> 1.5*1120 = 1680 = 4*420

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a semi-weighty lens? I'd love to use this with my ZM 35/1.4 Distagon but it's kind of a honker. Maybe not so heavy as an Otus but big. Would the weight slow down the focus operation to make it not-so-fun? My other two lenses are the C-Sonnar 50 and the 28/2.8 Biogon, both tiny. I'd try one myself if I could get my hands on one! :banghead:

Knorp

Sorry for the delay as we were experiencing some custom issues. Now the issue is resolved. You should be able to receive a shipment notification in the next couple of days.
Still waiting ... :(

Has anyone tried a semi-weighty lens? I'd love to use this with my ZM 35/1.4 Distagon but it's kind of a honker. Maybe not so heavy as an Otus but big. Would the weight slow down the focus operation to make it not-so-fun? My other two lenses are the C-Sonnar 50 and the 28/2.8 Biogon, both tiny. I'd try one myself if I could get my hands on one! :banghead:
You are in luck, I've used both the ZM 35/1.4 and C-Sonnar 50 and they work wonderfully. I even used the ZM on the Techart for an assignment with Urban Outfitters. I don't find that either lens feels significantly slower than a small lens like the m-Rokkor 40/2.

Interestingly I just bought one from B&H. It was listed as 'in stock' so I pulled the trigger. WHen I went back to the sale link to post here, it's listed as unavailable again. Hopefully I'm lucky and they happened to have one from a canceled order. I'll report back when/if it's in hand.

Knorp

Congratulations Bart! When will it arrive?
Having your camera setup appropriately will add to your enjoyment. :thumbup:
Hey K-H, when it arrives I'll know !
Setting up my camera appropriately ? Crickey - what am I missing ?

All the best.

k-hawinkler

Hey K-H, when it arrives I'll know !
Setting up my camera appropriately ? Crickey - what am I missing ?

All the best.
Well Bart, maybe nothing.

Anyway, here is my A7r2 setup.
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-25.html#post692025 post #246
That way I can switch fast from AF to MF and back in case the adapter cannot AF for whatever reason.
Same for switching IBIS on and off and selecting the SteadyS. Focal Len.
Another useful item is the In-Camera Guide for getting a brief explanation when in menu.
Have fun. :thumbup: