The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 18 & Batis 25 or just one?

Assuming the Batis rumor is true, will anyone switch from the Batis 25 to the Batis 18? I am trying to decide this for myself.

SparkleHedgeHog reported this rumor in Nov., two months ago, having heard it from a Zeiss Rep at a show in England,

Batis 18mm prime coming in April!: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Now the sony rumor site posts the same rumor as an SR5,

(SR5) Next Batis will be a new 18mm wide angle lens. | sonyalpharumors

I realize that this is a very different FL from 25, but wonder whether some will switch from the Batis 25 to the Batis 18.

What strikes me is the chance to use 18 and then 28 on crop, in order to keep a kit small for travel. I mostly use manual lenses, but want to have some with focus.

John

drevil

Staff member
i just got the loxia 21mm and the batis 85mm

18mm would be too close to 21mm for me, i would wish for a 16mm 2.8 (loxia (prefered)/batis) instead
for someone with the batis 25mm, a 18mm one would be a good addition i think.

25mm is useful in more situations.

I have a WATE for ultra-wide, but stitching is so easy now that I often just shoot several verticals with 25 or 28, and then stitch.

Kirk

Pradeep

Re: Batis 18 & Batis 25 or just one?

I have the 25 and am forced to take the Zeiss 16-35 with me to get a wider angle. 16-18mm focal length is essential for me and I would love to have the Batis 18 if it does materialize, especially if it is faster than f4. Heck, for that wide a lens, I would be willing to take the Loxia manual focus if they ever produce one.

My dream lineup would be a 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 55mm and 85mm. All super fast (2.8 or better), autofocus and relatively light and small. I think we are almost there.

Last edited: