The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voightlander 10 mm

ohnri

Anyone else preorder this lens?

I have a possible trip to Europe coming up this summer and I love wide angle lenses. I was going to take my 16-35/4 FE but now I am not sure.

I am thinking this 10mm beasty will let me get images I have never been able to obtain before while still allowing me to easily crop in to a 20 mm equivalent on my A7r2.

Or, it could be an utter fail with every shot being pure garbage.

-Bill

V

Vivek

I am betting that Cosina sell moreof these in E mount than in M mount.

I would buy one when it is available over the counter.

ohnri

I bet you are right.

If I wait for over the counter I will be back from Europe, if I even go.

I will just take a flyer on this lens unless I hear some reliable reports that put me off of it.

-Bill

takomaru

I bet you are right.

If I wait for over the counter I will be back from Europe, if I even go.

I will just take a flyer on this lens unless I hear some reliable reports that put me off of it.

-Bill
I'm using the 12, 15, 21 & 35 with A7R and A7S; like them all. I'm picking this one as soon as I can find one. In Asia they come out fast.

Takomaru

takomaru

Got any pics to share? :)
I normally print and box; sorry old habits ! I do admire the screen shots of you guys that make it work on a screen; I loose it all to small jpge's and my shots look awful; love your posts and your forum.

Takomaru

ggibson

I wonder. The M-mount version can conceivably be used on a larger market since it can be adapted to any of the mirrorless systems. Plus, it can be used with the close-focus VM adapter for a wider focal range (though maybe not as interesting for this lens). So it might make sense for many to buy the M-mount version.

On the other hand, I think most people who will want this are using A7x series cameras.

So who knows??

This lens is intriguing to me, but I think it is too wide most of the time. Normally, something like the 16-35mm is a better tool for me. If I REALLY need to go wide, I can use my $200 Pentax fisheye which is even wider than the 10mm would be. :)

V

Vivek

I wonder. The M-mount version can conceivably be used on a larger market since it can be adapted to any of the mirrorless systems. Plus, it can be used with the close-focus VM adapter for a wider focal range (though maybe not as interesting for this lens). So it might make sense for many to buy the M-mount version.
With the upcoming AF adapter, it will be a riot to have a 10mm rectilinear lens that would AF!

takomaru

With the upcoming AF adapter, it will be a riot to have a 10mm rectilinear lens that would AF!
+1 on this, Vivek..all M lenses and now expanding, althought hard to be oof at 10mm; I want to test one real bad. see if it can focus the 35 Voigtlander wo at 1.2, that'll blow me away

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm keeping my M mount 15mm as I think resale in it would be a even bigger audience besides I already cut the lens hood off . The 15 also the only one that will take filters but maybe add a 10mm would be fun. Prices are pretty high from what I seen.

jfirneno

I'm keeping my M mount 15mm as I think resale in it would be a even bigger audience besides I already cut the lens hood off . The 15 also the only one that will take filters but maybe add a 10mm would be fun. Prices are pretty high from what I seen.
Yeah Guy, all this new stuff is pretty speculative until someone has a chance to review it (like you and some of the other folks have been doing in some of the other threads). I'm guessing that the 10mm and 12mm will not be perfect lenses in the corners. But I'm still tempted by the small size. And when I tried out the M-mount 12mm I found it to be just as good as my Sigma 12-24 zoom. I find some fun things to do with that kind of wide angle (foreground/background stuff) that are unique. But definitely specialty stuff that most people wouldn't care about.

I will say it's getting harder and harder to complain about gaps in the e-mount line-up. At this point the biggest gap is 300-600 focal lengths and tilt-shift options. Luckily the Canon plus adapter route covers those cases pretty nicely.

iiiNelson

ohnri

If I understand the Google translation, it seems to imply the Sony mount and M mount versions have slightly different optical properties to account for the cover glass variation between the brands.

Also, the Sony version will turn to focus in a different direction, as well as provide the expected electronic contact benefits.

I think all that, if true, compensates for the loss of AF via adapter on the 10mm lens.

The purported high price of about $1,400 is more than a bit off putting although I would be equally discouraged by a $400 estimate which would make me nervous about the IQ.

Ok, I am nervous about IQ anyway. I would love to see a few more samples.

I have a trip to Europe planned this summer and my plan is to take 2 bodies and 2 lenses. I have been thinking the 16-35 FE and my pre-ordered 85 GM. The little 10mm would be sort of a crazy add on.

I am not yet fully committed to getting it after all.

-Bill

jfirneno

If I understand the Google translation, it seems to imply the Sony mount and M mount versions have slightly different optical properties to account for the cover glass variation between the brands.

Also, the Sony version will turn to focus in a different direction, as well as provide the expected electronic contact benefits.

I think all that, if true, compensates for the loss of AF via adapter on the 10mm lens.

The purported high price of about $1,400 is more than a bit off putting although I would be equally discouraged by a $400 estimate which would make me nervous about the IQ.

Ok, I am nervous about IQ anyway. I would love to see a few more samples.

I have a trip to Europe planned this summer and my plan is to take 2 bodies and 2 lenses. I have been thinking the 16-35 FE and my pre-ordered 85 GM. The little 10mm would be sort of a crazy add on.

I am not yet fully committed to getting it after all.

-Bill

I also wondered what could be the difference in the lens construction that could compensate for the difference in the Sony and Leica mount and sensor characteristics. But being a layman in terms of optics I'm in the dark.

Congratulations on the upcoming trip. Lots of great photographic subjects to choose from there.

As far as commitment, we should all be committed (in a different sense) for being on the Sony roller-coaster anyway. But it's either be an early adopter and suffer the associated risks or wait six months for the reviews and suffer the pangs of anticipation.

jfirneno

So I asked Stephen Gandy of CameraQuest what he thought about that news piece and he replied,

HI John,

Those are list prices, selling prices are much lower. The 15E price will be announced on 3/1.

Best,
Stephen

I'm guessing the 15E is the 15mm e-mount that is also debuting with the 12mm and 10mm. That sounds hopeful about the price.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I asked Stephen Gandy of Cameraquest on Feb. 4 :

To Stephen Gandy:
"One question? I am going on the assumption that the version III lens will be the same formula as the FE lens, with just a different mount. If this is not the case, please inform me.

Hi Cindy,

yes, the FE and M III are the same."

This article seems to indicate that there are differences. I plan to stick with my current 15mm vIII until I find out that there is a major benefit to switching. My 12mm is the version II. If there is a big difference with the new 12mm (like there was between VII and VIII of the 15mm), then I might change that lens. 12mm is pretty wide on the A7II and A7RII. I don't think I need a 10mm.

jfirneno

I don't think I need a 10mm.
Cindy:

I disagree! Every car driver needs a 10mm lens. I intend to attach the 10mm to my camera and mount it to my driver side car mirror. That way I can check my blind spot when changing lanes during rush hour. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get the LCD off the camera and onto my dashboard.