The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7RII File Corruption Question

Gary P

Hi All! I used my new A7RII this weekend and captured about 800 images to a Sony SD XC 64 gig card. The last 50 or so images wouldn't import to Lightroom and no thumbnails would appear on the import screen for them. The program said the files may have been corrupted. When I place the card back in the camera the thumbnails show on the camera screen. No thumbnail will appear when viewing the files in Apple Finder either. Anyone have the problem? Are the files toast or is there anything that can be done to retrieve them? Thank you!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would see if you can download some of the images to a smartphone ok or not.

If that works then I'd also download a copy of something like ImageRescue from Lexar and run that against the card to see if it can read the files. The free download will tell you if there is corruption and recoverable files. You'll typically have to purchase it to actually get the files. IIRC.

Annna T

Hi All! I used my new A7RII this weekend and captured about 800 images to a Sony SD XC 64 gig card. The last 50 or so images wouldn't import to Lightroom and no thumbnails would appear on the import screen for them. The program said the files may have been corrupted. When I place the card back in the camera the thumbnails show on the camera screen. No thumbnail will appear when viewing the files in Apple Finder either. Anyone have the problem? Are the files toast or is there anything that can be done to retrieve them? Thank you!
I got that kind of problems a few times too, but I could always rescue my pictures.

There are two possible cause for my problems :
a) using the same card for different bodies (an Olympus E-M5II and a Sony A7rII in my case)
b) shutting the camera down too early while the body is still writing to the card or reading from the card. It can be tricky with the A7rII : I had that happen while the camera was sleeping and I accidentally woke it up and then shut it down too early.

Ways the problem could be solved :

In the first case the pictures were appearing in the files explorer, but weren't shown in LR. That was easy to solve : I just copied the files in a temporary folder and from there in LR.

In the second case I inserted the card in the body again and navigated to the pictures which happily seemed there, like in your case. Note that it didn't work the first time, but was ok after a few reinsertions in the body; I checked that I could magnify the pictures on the body. Then I could retrieve the pictures from the file explorer.

If the problem is more serious, don't format the card : try using one of these photo rescue program (in the Sandisk card box there is a little flyer with a web address, that is what I used). Be warned that the pictures will be retrieved bare, without any info/exif (without the date the picture was taken) and it will retrieve anything from the card, not only the last unreadable ones or the last session. So it can be a little painful to sort out.

Last edited:

kimbrunstudio

Have you tried downloading to a hard drive and then Importing from there. Had a similar issue with an SDXC card that seemed corrupted. Downloaded the contents and then re-formatted in the camera. No issues since. All the "corrupted files" were Imported successfully from the hard drive. I am assuming though, if you have successfully downloaded a large number of files, the card isn't corrupt.