The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I actually have a decent 24-70 f4 but if this is reasonably small I'll switch it out. For me it's just a PR lens. I have great primes for the important stuff

Annna T

Sony can not to be out done by Milvus! :LOL:

(SR5) This is the logo of the new Sony “G-Master” lens line! First lens is the 24-70mm f/2.8. | sonyalpharumors

I will buy/try one if it shows up. I do not want to go near that horrible 24-70 f/4 zoom again.
They should rather concentrate on building a full coherent lens line before starting yet another series of lenses.. Let me see what we have now :

The Sony lenses : 28mm F2, 24-240mm F3.5-6.3, 28-70mm F3.5-5.6,
The Sony G lenses : 90mm F2.8 macro, 28-135mm PZ F4, 70-200mm F4
The Sony Zeiss lenses : 35mm F1.4, 35mm F2.8, 55mm F1.8, 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F4
The Zeiss Loxia : 18mm (announced), 21mm, 35mm, 50mm
The Zeiss Batis : 25mm, 85mm

I would like a coherent lens line to built a three- four set of primes around the 55mm F1.8, something very sharp, with low distortion not necessarily fast, but light and compact including a 24mm F2.8 and a 135mm F2.8. Sony needs to add that to their Sony Zeiss series instead of starting that new master line.

The Zeiss are impossible to get here. I went in a well renowned brick and mortar shop last week, they didn't even have a demo model to show and worse didn't even have an estimate date of possible delivery. None of the online dealer is able to indicate a delivery date either.

So now before we get a 135mm tele, before those Batis lenses becomes available they are launching yet another line of fast and thus probably heavy lenses that aren't so well suited to these light bodies.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The Zeiss are impossible to get here. I went in a well renowned brick and mortar shop last week, they didn't even have a demo model to show and worse didn't even have an estimate date of possible delivery.

So now before we get a 135mm tele, before those Batis lenses becomes available they are launching yet another line of fast and thus probably heavy lenses that aren't so well suited to these light bodies.
Zeiss and Batis production issues (it is worth noting that the Milvus?Otus, etc line has no such problems!) have nothing to do with Sony. With Olympus rumored to be involved in making lenses for the FE mount, I would say there is no big loss (to the users) if zheiss do not make any lenses available for Sony users.

I guess Sony is busy trying to compete as a big clunky 'professional' camera, which wouldn't meet my own needs. Bulking up a mirrorless body with big-fast-heavy lenses is IMO an unbalanced policy. With high ISOs available now, large apertures are bokeh-tools more than speed-tools. I'd prefer that Sony focus on a set of first-rate AF Summicron-level primes and complete that lineup first. Too many options now without fulfilling 'prime' needs.

Kirk

V

Vivek

With an AF adapter beginning to be available, I really do not want any overpriced f2 (or f/1.8) primes with questionable QC.

Make quality lenses.

Faster zooms, especially with a name like "G Master", are a good step in that direction. :)

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would also like to see a line of medium aperture lenses built for optimal performance one stop from full aperture.

Best regards
Erik

They should rather concentrate on building a full coherent lens line before starting yet another series of lenses.. Let me see what we have now :

The Sony lenses : 28mm F2, 24-240mm F3.5-6.3, 28-70mm F3.5-5.6,
The Sony G lenses : 90mm F2.8 macro, 28-135mm PZ F4, 70-200mm F4
The Sony Zeiss lenses : 35mm F1.4, 35mm F2.8, 55mm F1.8, 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F4
The Zeiss Loxia : 18mm (announced), 21mm, 35mm, 50mm
The Zeiss Batis : 25mm, 85mm

I would like a coherent lens line to built a three- four set of primes around the 55mm F1.8, something very sharp, with low distortion not necessarily fast, but light and compact including a 24mm F2.8 and a 135mm F2.8. Sony needs to add that to their Sony Zeiss series instead of starting that new master line.

The Zeiss are impossible to get here. I went in a well renowned brick and mortar shop last week, they didn't even have a demo model to show and worse didn't even have an estimate date of possible delivery. None if the online dealer is able to indicate a delivery date either.

seb

Just a detail:
The Zeiss Loxia : 21mm, 35mm, 50mm
The Zeiss Batis : 18mm (announced), 25mm, 85mm
:)

I'm with you about the zeiss lenses... With the Sony products we are often at pole position, but not with Zeiss. It looks like Zeiss do not care much about the Swiss market.

What I would love to see in the G-Master series: 35/2, 85/1.4, 135/2.8.

Slingers

If this is correct and they do use the "g master" name it seems to be like the zeiss master prime range which are cine lenses. If this 2.8 zoom is a cine lens then like the 28-135mm its going to be huge and expensive.

Jim DE

Lots of great comments made so far in this thread but just in this small representative segment how would you like to be a manufacturer trying to meet the needs of your customer base? Think about all the varied signal you would be getting with this FE customer base. Some want this series to be like the SLR's they came from, some want the system small and compact, some want fast lenses, etc.... If I was sitting at the head of the board room and heard all the wants and changes submitted on various Internet forums (this one is far better than the rest IMO) I would scratch my head and look at my R&D VP and say pick one that gets the most requests and go with it. It would literally be impossible to make this whole or even the majority of this customer base happy. The wants and needs are too diametrically opposed with the technologies available today.

As far as what or how they are badging their lenses that is all just marketing bs. They look at the other companies and use what they think may set this product line above the others. Buyer brain twisting to develop deep rooted GAS customer response ... ;)

The one thing that would get the most attention in that board room would be eliminating product quality build inconsistencies. That is the kiss of death to a company proclaiming offering a quality product and not excusable. This is where my focus would be before ever offering a single new model lens. If it isn't the focus the new badging would immediately suffer its reputation as well. Nothing makes people happier and the most satisfied as consistent excellent build quality. I have been lucky not to of experienced the build inconsistencies with the lenses I have bought but one reads about it far to much on Sony forums for it not to be a real concern for the buyers and company.

Last edited:

UHDR

now they have internal stabliser, then may be that's their way of keeping lens small. so im hopeful with the f2.8. if it matches 28-35-50mm then i will switch :grin:

V

Vivek

The one thing that would get the most attention in that board room would be eliminating product quality build inconsistencies. That is the kiss of death to a company proclaiming offering a quality product and not excusable. This is where my focus would be before ever offering a single new model lens. If it isn't the focus the new badging would immediately suffer its reputation as well. Nothing makes people happier and the most satisfied as consistent excellent build quality.

You got it!

The blue tag in my eyes have suffered irreparable damage. I avoid it at all costs.

Jim DE

Nothing is irrepairable but it does need to be seriously addressed and put to bed. It has to do with engineering build tolerances are too large or a non-robust error/ mistake proofing manufacturing process. Or both! Either way someone responsible would be getting told to throw themselves on their sword as the responsible parties are jeopardizing the whole companies employees livelihoods! Build inconsistencies are created and can be corrected by following tighter manufacturing tolerances and procedures.

Names can turn around if quality and value returns.....if the materials, design, and process can produce one excellent example of the product it proves those issue are capable. Inconsistencies in build quality prove the process is not robust enough and the engineering tolerances are too lose.

V

Vivek

"Nothing is irreparable"

It depends on the money/time invested with the faulty products, Jim.

Annna T

Lots of great comments made so far in this thread but just in this small representative segment how would you like to be a manufacturer trying to meet the needs of your customer base? Think about all the varied signal you would be getting with this FE customer base. Some want this series to be like the SLR's they came from, some want the system small and compact, some want fast lenses, etc.... If I was sitting at the head of the board room and heard all the wants and changes submitted on various Internet forums (this one is far better than the rest IMO) I would scratch my head and look at my R&D VP and say pick one that gets the most requests and go with it. It would literally be impossible to make this whole or even the majority of this customer base happy. The wants and needs are too diametrically opposed with the technologies available today.

This is why I advocate that Sony defines leading lines for a coherent development of this system as a whole, without paying too much attention to the social networks. They could define two lines of lenses and develope the one making the most sense for the system first, with the second line following not too far away.. But right now, with all those lenses lines, they are chasing too many hares at the same time : the A7 system is still very incomplete and worse incoherent.

I agree with you mainly..

Jim DE

"Nothing is irreparable"

It depends on the money/time invested with the faulty products, Jim.
If a item was innovated, designed, developed, and manufactured by man it can be repaired by man.

Sony took a big step forward in my opinion halting the production of the new RX1rII till the fixed a issue. This is what western manufacturers do but usually not so much in the oriental manufacturing companies. They inherently use plausible deniability and only discuss action in closed board meetings. I was impressed they stopped evaluated and fixed the issue before pumping out additional products.

The inconsistant build quality in their lenses is also repairable for products moving forward. Modern manufacturing processes pretty much take human error out of the process with mistake and error proofing techniques. If I had to guess why their process is not currently robust I would have to look at the engineering spec tolerances first. My guess is they are too wide and they are going to the small side with one and the large side on a joining parts spect. This is very fixable and can be accomplished very quickly once they determine the root cause.

Anyway I do agree that they need a quality complete line of lenses customers can choose from and depend on quality wise with one purchase. I think Sony has moved randomly in this direction because they don't want to overlap what third party associates may be releasing or developing. I think this is a error and they need to set their own direction by leading the way and let the third party associates fill the gaps Sony decides to leave.

V

Vivek

I was impressed they stopped evaluated and fixed the issue before pumping out additional products.
You know, of all the systems, it was the Chinese one that taught "I am Nikon" (D600 oil splash issue) a valuable lesson. So, there is a real danger of losing heavily.

Money does talk. ;)

Jim DE

Vivek, I truly doubt and would not expect Sony to recall or address the defective glass that has been made. That is what return policies address with new product sales. That said they had better address their current processes and specs for current and future product quality and consistency.

Slingers

My gut tells me this rumour is wrong. There is no evidence on the web that supports it and something about the image leads to Xperia sites. While the rumour may be correct, it is odd.

I wonder what are Sony planning though now we are up to the end of the two year roadmap. It looks like the roadmap has been thrown out and with the last few lenses Sony is now choosing a different path. The first four lenses seemed to set a path and now they are at another fork in the road. I think though, or hope, in the next month we will see what there plans are. Are they a new line like these rumoured or something else? I guess we will see soon.