Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Cindy, i would not send my unit for inspection/repair to them after this kind of response. In fact, i am unsure if the repair facility here is capable of handling the new rx1r ii. There could also be other issues as well (other than light leak).

If anyone has any contacts (sony.eu or sony head quaters) please let me know whom to contact.

Though not a small amount, i can absorb the loss of €3.499, cut my losses and avoid sony in the future.
    Vivek, It has been several years since I had a problem, but I went on the web and looked up the CEO and sent a letter (via snail mail) to the CEO at the corporate address. I got a reply back from his personal assistant right away. Make sure that you send them complete contact info, including your phone number.
    I'd send a copy of the letter to your contact at Sony.nl.

1. Kazuo Hirai
      Executive

Kazuo "Kaz" Hirai is the President and CEO of Sony Corporation. He also serves as a member of the board of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony. Wikipedia
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

masaru tamagawa
    president at Sony Electronics
    Weybridge, Surrey, United Kingdom Consumer Electronics
    Current
    Sony Europe Limited, Sony Electronics

https://www.linkedin.com/in/masaru-tamagawa-6589b873

Apparently one can send an email via linkedin. How cool is that?
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, If Sony nl is like here the CS rep you talked to isn't even a Sony employee and may even be working as a CS rep for several companies at the same time only knowing the difference in customers by the contact number they call in on.

Research your Sony division over there and look for the VP or director of that divisions electronics division. Send that individual a courteous short not describing the issue and ask that person for help resolving it. You will most likely get contacted right after their next daily staff meeting by the person that has been assigned to resolve the issue.

It's just the way these corporations work. Third party services don't have much too lose. Corporate Exec's want happy customers and have much at stake in the game so they get issues assigned and resolved instantly. The Exec's tend to believe all their employees want happy customers too but the further from the top one goes the less this seems to be important. That is why you try the first contact first then jump up the chain of command till you find the level where customer satisfaction is important to them.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is affected too.
    To check it simply use Manual mode, 30 sec, f2, ISO 25600, and EVF up.
    Then shine your iPhone flashlight around the EVF.
    You will notice (or not) a yellowish halo bottom left corner of the picture.
    sadly I noticed it, pretty big..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Research your Sony division over there and look for the VP or director of that divisions electronics division.
    I know when to trip the shutter on time in an anticipatory manner on the street.

I did not sign up to these kind of tasks with the purchase of a camera.

I very much appreciate the help and support here: Cindy, K-H, Jim and Joe.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfab View Post
    Mine is affected too.
    To check it simply use Manual mode, 30 sec, f2, ISO 25600, and EVF up.
    Then shine your iPhone flashlight around the EVF.
    You will notice (or not) a yellowish halo bottom left corner of the picture.
    sadly I noticed it, pretty big..
    Fab, Hope you did not buy it without warranty against my suggestion! I hope whomever you bought it from will respond to you better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes luckily it is with the warranty!
    The seller is being very helpful, and will assist me through the process.
    It's a very weak light leak, unnoticeable under normal use, but it's bugging me and will replace/repair.
    It becomes very evident when you shine a light close to the EVF, from 25600 ISO up, and 30 sec exposure.
    Thanks for your advice, very helpful indeed!!
    http://www.fabriziobelardetti.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I put an advert in the FS section but deleted it as there is a possibility to return for full refund based on the Dutch consumer rights regarding defective products (sale can be voided). I am getting in touch with my legal insurance for advice.

I have also informed the Sony EU president (via linkedn that K-H psoted here) of my displeasure with my dealings with sony.nl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I put an advert in the FS section but deleted it as there is a possibility to return for full refund based on the Dutch consumer rights regarding defective products (sale can be voided). I am getting in touch with my legal insurance for advice.

I have also informed the Sony EU president (via linkedn that K-H psoted here) of my displeasure with my dealings with sony.nl
    I hope the issue gets resolved for you no matter which way you decide to go.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great going Vivek!
    Raising the visibility of this issue, as you are doing here on the forum as well, should get the attention of the proper folks at Sony.
    It's in Sony's best interest to resolve the issue to your satisfaction ASAP.
    Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
    Have been there (with another company), done it, got the T-shirt.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Tre and K-H.

If sony.nl had responded differently to me than they did, this would have gone in a different way. When the whole world knows about the issue and they feign total ignorance, it leads to total loss of trust.

Quite unfortunate.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed Vivek!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am in contact with Sony, to see if a product replacement would be possible, as I feel that a repair would not be the best fix.

Will keep you posted!
    http://www.fabriziobelardetti.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is some movement. Can not divulge any details. If there is a resolution I will make that public. I really hope that it will be over and done with soon.

Sincere thanks to K-H!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Within minutes of responding to the email from the top person in the Netherlands, and having appraised him of the issue, here is the solution.

=> He has set up a swap program for RX1R mk II ( Netherlands) immediately.

I hope it will lead to the "support" becoming more customer friendly as well.

Again, K-H, you are the man!
    Last edited by Vivek; 26th January 2016 at 05:44. Reason: clarification
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad this has worked out for you Vivek!

As you can see customer service departments should always be one's first step but today with Sony (and unfortunately many other worldwide manufacturers) they seem to all be adopting third party service solutions which means these CS reps are not Sony employee's (may not be even in the same hemisphere as the home corporate base) and thusly have little skin in the game. (these service companies may use the same people to represent several different companies at the same time and only trigger the difference by the contact number used). On the other hand most if not all upper level corporate management are "all in" with the company and customer satisfaction is paramount. They assume everybody under them feel the same way but it seems the further down the food chain the less customer satisfaction means and the more hourly wage does. Add a third party service company to the flow and ..... well you experienced this level of lack of ownership to customer concerns and a corporate information disconnect!

Your results once you contacted the Executive Level of Sony Management was a certainty....... they want their customers satisfied and will assign the issue at a staff level to someone who will get it resolved immediately. Upper level management did not get there by being stupid or lacking dedication to their products or customers. They are problem solvers.......... Sadly, I feel some bean counter has made a critical error in recommending to outsource the one area where customers have direct contact with the company at a time of need (customer service and warranty repair) The end result to this is predictable... they are saving a dime and costing them dollars in customer satisfaction and repeat sales. I think Sony will take some bumps and lose some customers but will eventually bring these services back to in house operations with Sony employee's. (the Exec's will get tired of getting E Mail from customers complaining about bad service and will resolve this issue and hire a new bean counter ). You can rest assured the CS 3rd party service and their warranty repair service is having some serious cage rattling today.... you can take that to the bank as is the Sony manager and his team who are in charge of of overseeing this third party service. There will be some wondering if they have enough arse left to be able to sit down today

Once again Vivek I am happy for you and hope you will regain your confidence in this new camera......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Mr. Tamagawa and Mr. Frijters!

What you said in the last sentence- that is the key, Jim!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Man, Vivek you definitely went to the top of the food chain ......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope this much tribulations will not be there in the future. Life is short.

All credit to K-H!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Vivek for a job superbly done!
    Your efforts will benefit all those affected in your neck of the woods.
    Thank you and I am looking forward to more of your pictures with that excellent tool in your capable hands!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job Vivek. Way to go.

On a curious note. Anybody sent their cameras back yet. I spoke with the service rep and he told me to pack everything in the original box and then pack that in another box and send it that way. I then got an email from Sony a few days later saying not to send my original box as it would be 'recycled and not returned to me'. I wonder if that is just lost in translation or if they expected me to take everything out of the original box, put it in ziplocs and then send it?

Anyway by then I had already sent my camera and everything that came with it as the rep had advised me.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Great Job Vivek. Way to go.

On a curious note. Anybody sent their cameras back yet. I spoke with the service rep and he told me to pack everything in the original box and then pack that in another box and send it that way. I then got an email from Sony a few days later saying not to send my original box as it would be 'recycled and not returned to me'. I wonder if that is just lost in translation or if they expected me to take everything out of the original box, put it in ziplocs and then send it?

Anyway by then I had already sent my camera and everything that came with it as the rep had advised me.
    Same here, I sent mine in last week.

After reading the email from Sony, I called them. They assured me I will be getting a brand new camera, complete with a new retail box and all accessories. We shall see.

I suspect the email was a victim to somebody blindly copy/pasting text from a template.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone had B&H contact them directly? I am surprised they have not been proactive on this issue since a $3200 camera is not small peanuts. That is a disappointment since not every end user reads Alpharumors or getDPI.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome Vivek. Great work everyone
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Algrove, I would not expect a retailer to contact a customer about a issue between the customer and a manufacturer concerning their warranted product. That is between them not the retailer and the buyer. Manufacturers warrant their products not the retailers.

Now, I would expect a retailer to no longer sell the defective units and return their unsold product to the manufacturer and ask for good units to replace these.

I often wonder if B&H, Adorama, Amazon's liberal return policies don't actually cause more problems and ultimately drive up retail prices. Someone has to absorb the loss on a returned item from a buyer who just wanted to try a new product and had no intention to keep it when they placed their order and returns a 29 day old used product without or with defects or damage. Think about it. They can't sell it as new and just how many used new model cameras does one see offered for sale? You can bet someone is buying expecting a new item and getting a refurbished returned product that someone just wanted to try. If I was a retailer I know I would not have this sort of return policy nor would I do internet sales. But that is just how I see this. Internet retailer have the world as a store front but are victims of fraud like you can't imagine causing big money losses that end up being shared by all in the end suggested retail price.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought. Yes, I do get them occasionally. :

The offer from Sony is good through 3.31.18. That's over two years from now. Keep your "defective" Sony (doubtful you'll ever suffer from the light leak) until then, call and get the replacement.

By that time, the RX1rIII will be out, complete with touch screen, GPS, etc. When you get your replacement RX1rII, don't open the box. Sell it as brand new and get the latest version. Or, keep it and enjoy your brand new camera, having replaced your "old" one that had 100k shutter clicks.

Risk - Sony may repair, not replace, the units at that late date. Even so, you'll have a camera that's certified light leak free.

It seems win/win. Only thing is....

I already sent mine in.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perish that thought.

Some are not taking this seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    I often wonder if B&H, Adorama, Amazon's liberal return policies don't actually cause more problems and ultimately drive up retail prices. Someone has to absorb the loss on a returned item from a buyer who just wanted to try a new product and had no intention to keep it when they placed their order and returns a 29 day old used product without or with defects or damage. Think about it. They can't sell it as new and just how many used new model cameras does one see offered for sale? You can bet someone is buying expecting a new item and getting a refurbished returned product that someone just wanted to try. If I was a retailer I know I would not have this sort of return policy nor would I do internet sales. But that is just how I see this. Internet retailer have the world as a store front but are victims of fraud like you can't imagine causing big money losses that end up being shared by all in the end suggested retail price.

Jim, twice now I've had items that I bought brand new from B&H delivered with missing vital parts. Had to go through the whole process of RMA etc. It is just the cost of doing business for most such retailers, and they have already figured it in their calculations. Funny, have not had this happen with Amazon ever, but it's probably only a matter of time.

And yes, sadly there are people who use this ability to return merchandise to use a brand new item on a holiday, a bit like people buying a suit for a party and then returning it the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got a phone call from my dealer yesterday, saying that my camera is in the affected range and would I please come to the shop any day I choose and pick up a new replacement camera that is waiting there for me...and would be nice if I could bring the packaging also, but no big deal if I don't have it anymore.... Have to say that I like the way they've handled the issue. And I hope my replacement camera is at least as good as the first one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Here's a thought. Yes, I do get them occasionally. :

The offer from Sony is good through 3.31.18. That's over two years from now. Keep your "defective" Sony (doubtful you'll ever suffer from the light leak) until then, call and get the replacement.

By that time, the RX1rIII will be out, complete with touch screen, GPS, etc. When you get your replacement RX1rII, don't open the box. Sell it as brand new and get the latest version. Or, keep it and enjoy your brand new camera, having replaced your "old" one that had 100k shutter clicks.

Risk - Sony may repair, not replace, the units at that late date. Even so, you'll have a camera that's certified light leak free.

It seems win/win. Only thing is....

I already sent mine in.
    Is this the sort of customer Sony deserves? It's a long road to 'good will', but I wish Sony's leadership success in turning things around.

Vivek, congratulations in reaching the right people to get a good response - I hope they will make lasting improvements to their support chain.

Kind regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

baudolino, Is the Czech or Austrian Sony?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

baudolino, Is the Czech or Austrian Sony?
    Austrian (Digitalstore Wien)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tomorrow is swap day. The replacement is with my dealer and they will send it to their branch that is 10mins walk from my house.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news and you got a brand camera. End of day through all the BS that's what counts and I expect to see you out there shooting lights out with it. Honestly this forum and members enjoy your work.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad it all worked out. Look forward to seeing some new photos.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tomorrow is swap day. The replacement is with my dealer and they will send it to their branch that is 10mins walk from my house.
    I'm happy for you ! Will you keep it in the end ?

Post Thanks / Like

I sent mine in on the 20th, and it arrived at Sony on the 27th. The replacement was shipped on the 29th, and it should be here tomorrow.

I have zero complaints at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Show us, what they put there instead of the piano:

It is fair to say that a lot of adjustment is required with the handling of the camera and processing its files.* Going from an A7s to RX1R II isn't going to be easy at all. I like the manual focus- it is just awesome. AF works well in the center. Tilt LCD is great. Looked at the EVF. It isn't bad.

Here is a snap on the way back from the camera shop (I did take a charged battery which ran out after a few snaps. It is cold, misty/foggy and windy).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, f/3.2, 1/320s, ISO3200, LPF set to std

* File processing is not going to be easy, especially to someone like me who does not relish PP.
    everyone a good day!
    seb

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vivek, and?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It did not show (<15 miles distance could not be covered).

May be tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    I sent mine in on the 20th, and it arrived at Sony on the 27th. The replacement was shipped on the 29th, and it should be here tomorrow.

I have zero complaints at this point.
    Received replacement today. All is good. Tested for light leak with ballistic type flashlight using a "brighter than the sun" setting. No light leak at high ISO.

Total time without camera - 13 days, of which 11 days were in transit.

By far the biggest headache here was having to set up the camera again - custom buttons, function menu, apps etc. But it was good to refresh and reevaluate all the choices.

Grade for Sony's handling of this issue - A+.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my replacement last weekend. The RX1M2 together with my GX8 and Nicticron would be my traveling combo in the foreseeable future.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H, everyone, Picked up my replacement. The shop opened the new box to make sure I have returned everything with the old. They even took the new camera cover (missing) away.

Anyway, the new camera is in my hand.

Although the FW still says 1.0, I think there are changes. I think the Auto ISO shutter speed settings are different (better IMO) than before.

There could be other changes as well. Will have to try it out more to figure that out.

=> Those who have not sent theirs for a replacement, do it ASAP.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Vivek and enjoy your new tool!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my replacement yesterday. It had arrived two days earlier but nobody was at home to receive it from Fedex. I had shipped it on Monday the 25th of Jan and the replacement was at my door on Tuesday the 2nd Feb, 6 business days later (my fault we could not receive it for two more days).

It looks like a brand new unit complete with all accessories. Haven't tested it yet, but I am sure it will be fine.

I must say this is the best service experience I've ever had dealing with a major electronics company.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    snip...

I must say this is the best service experience I've ever had dealing with a major electronics company.
    You are fortunate... My camera has been gone for 2 weeks and I have no idea when the new one will appear. Sony service has been completely, utterly and totally clueless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post
    You are fortunate... My camera has been gone for 2 weeks and I have no idea when the new one will appear. Sony service has been completely, utterly and totally clueless.
    Sorry to hear that Jim.

I got an email from Sony when they received my unit and another when they shipped it out including a tracking number. As far as I can tell, it shipped from CA.

They probably have a very sporadic supply line and the response varies depending upon who handles your unit, it is possible all the returns don't end up in the same location.

There is probably no better explanation than that I am just one lucky dude!

Post Thanks / Like

...then suddenly, ding-dong, FedEx at the door, new camera arrives without warning...

Sheesh, glad that's over...