The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

Quentin_Bargate

I received a call from my UK dealer today to advise me about the problem (I explained I was already aware of it ) and that they would have replacement stock by the middle of next week and would arrange to deliver the replacement camera to me and to collect the defective unit.

Pretty good service in my view.

Pradeep

Sound advice, David. But after a mini massive clean up, a lot of camera, lens etc boxes went to the dump. I normally do not keep the boxes, pouches, etc of the gear I use and unlikely to sell. The RX1R II was one of them. What a let down.
Vivek, that's a bummer.

My unit too is affected though I have not tested it, but it falls in the serial number range. Not surprising as it is one of the earliest ones in the US (was a demo piece from my dealer who obliged me since I had to go on a trip).

I never throw away the box for any of my camera gear. In fact I am anal to the point of not using the strap or manuals (have plenty of 3rd party straps and can use an online manual). I keep the accessories and box in absolutely pristine condition, use LCD protectors and what not. Over the years I've found this is a great strategy when you resell the item.

And though you may not think so now, you always end up selling the old and buying the new models. At least I do.

V

Vivek

And though you may not think so now, you always end up selling the old and buying the new models.

Only one camera got exchanged for an ipad- the clunker NEX-5. All others are still with me. :eek:

I have loaned a full spectrum Panasonic G1 to a forum member.

I am gifting away an old Nikon D300 to a friend (once I find the batteries/charger for it).

I do have lots of cameras. That is why I would like a refund for the defective one from Sony than a replacement.

scho

All in all though, I'm happy with the way Sony is handling this. They discovered the issue on their own and initiated a replacement process. Sure, it's a hassle, but compare this to what Nikon did (or tried to do) with the oily shutter on the D600.

As I said, the actual process is pretty easy. Now for the next, critical part - how long before a replacement is actually in hand. I'm shipping mine out today, it will take a week to get to Massachusetts.

Minor complaint - the shipping label supplied is for ground service. It would have been better if they opted for a quicker service. Thankfully, the weather here has been bloody awful. Perfect timing for downtime.

In the meantime, I'll have to make do with my A7rII. Oh the suffering! ;) :D
Dan,

Did you get a second email from Sony with shipping instructions? After receiving the shipping label I called again to ask when this second email would be coming and was told 24-48 hrs. They also said not to ship before receiving this email.

Quentin_Bargate

I really don't understand why anyone has to deal with Sony direct over this issue. The dealer that sold you the camera should take care of its replacement, which is exactly what is happening in my case. Moreover my dealer, Clifton Cameras, contacted me, not the other way around. No labels to print off, I'm told the camera will be collected when the replacement is delivered.

scho

Dan,

Did you get a second email from Sony with shipping instructions? After receiving the shipping label I called again to ask when this second email would be coming and was told 24-48 hrs. They also said not to ship before receiving this email.
I just received the Sony email instructions, but decided not to exchange the camera. UPS will pick up my camera tomorrow and return it to Amazon for a refund.

Dan,

They didn't tell me to expect another email or to wait before shipping, so mine was on its way before the second email arrived. I honestly do not think they are going to split hairs about exactly what, besides the camera, is shipped back, or the exact shipping mechanics.

The second email did hint at a functionality I did not know the camera possessed: "3. Remove all DVDs from your unit prior to shipping. We will not be able to return any DVD left in the unit." No Blu-ray, though.

Pradeep

Only one camera got exchanged for an ipad- the clunker NEX-5. All others are still with me. :eek:

I have loaned a full spectrum Panasonic G1 to a forum member.

I am gifting away an old Nikon D300 to a friend (once I find the batteries/charger for it).

I do have lots of cameras. That is why I would like a refund for the defective one from Sony than a replacement.
Vivek, man, you are an even bigger pack-rat than me! :D

Seriously though, if I had kept all my cameras, 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' would never have let me buy the next one! I've bought and sold so many over the years starting from 2002 with the Canon D60 that I've truly lost count.

This sounds crazy, like I am never satisfied. The truth is, I am an early adopter with most things and I love to see what is possible. There is no perfect camera or lens. Some are not the right fit for you and you realize that only after you've bought it and used it for a bit.

Some you like a lot and they become your main workhorse. My 1DX is an absolutely wonderful camera and perfect for wildlife. However, when its replacement comes out (this year, I am told), I will definitely upgrade, there will be enough reason (for me) to do so.

Sure, you lose money doing all this and from a purely monetary perspective it makes no sense, a pro would, in all likelihood think and behave more sensibly. But then I am not a pro, don't make a penny from it and strange though it may sound, that makes the decision (somewhat) easier.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No Pros are stupid asses too. Finger directly pointed at myself . I bought and sold more stuff than Bayer has Aspirin.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I don't have the RXRII, but do have A7R2, A7II and RXR-I. I don't understand why the way that Sony is handling this is causing Sony hate in some people. As a person who had Leicas off to repair on 3 different times for over a month, I would be happy with the exchange to a new one. I never saw anyone on here who complained of a light-leak in use. I think it is unfortunate that the light leak problem occurred, but I have not lost my love of Sony cams one bit.

V

Vivek

I don't understand why the way that Sony is handling this is causing Sony hate in some people.
Cindy, If that is addressed to me, allow me to answer it. First it is a mis-characterization on many levels.

In my case (as posted in another thread) they do not have a clue. That is how they are handling it.

I do not "love" my cameras. I just use them. There is no "hate" as well. They just get ignored when they are not in use. :)

I do use my Leica MM regularly, BTW. I just stopped posting any pictures after the sensor exfoliation fiasco. I will use it until it gives up. It is a fine tool. :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
That is my 2 cents.

It seems like most owners have already received their instructions and post-paid labels. If you are having a problem with communication, why don't you go to your dealer and ask them for help? I'm sure they would want to help you get your replacement ASAP.

Cindy, If that is addressed to me, allow me to answer it. First it is a mis-characterization on many levels.

In my case (as posted in another thread) they do not have a clue. That is how they are handling it.

I do not "love" my cameras. I just use them. There is no "hate" as well. They just get ignored when they are not in use. :)

I do use my Leica MM regularly, BTW. I just stopped posting any pictures after the sensor exfoliation fiasco. I will use it until it gives up. It is a fine tool. :)

V

Vivek

That is my 2 cents.

It seems like most owners have already received their instructions and post-paid labels. If you are having a problem with communication, why don't you go to your dealer and ask them for help? I'm sure they would want to help you get your replacement ASAP.
The camera comes from "sony.nl" whogive the warranty. They claim they have no idea about an issue with the said camera. => sony are saying that they donot know, as far as my camera is concerned. Luckily, folks in other araes aren't affected by this problem. Is that difficult to understand?

(Dealer was contacted afew days earlier and obviously they have no instructions from Sony since they have no clue.)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm sure it will just be a day or two till the info gets into the pipeline. In the meantime you can continue to use your fantastic new camera. I still enjoy the RXR-1 every time I click the shutter and see what that fantastic lens produces.

V

Vivek

I'm sure it will just be a day or two till the info gets into the pipeline. In the meantime you can continue to use your fantastic new camera. I still enjoy the RXR-1 every time I click the shutter and see what that fantastic lens produces.
I would have bought the rx1r (24mp) if it had a tilt lcd and lacked the pop up flash.

I am hoping the issue will be resolved as well. It was incredible that a light leak in a premium camera is there to begin with but it was shocking to hear a response like what i had from sony.nl

If a new camera is issued to replace the defective one(instead of a refund) i would look for the following:

1. Lack of light leak.
2. Absence of dust on the sensor.
3. Improved contrast in the pictures.

Judging from some of the responses here, I am glad that Sony japan issued an advisory, officially. Otherwise, i would have been burnt at stake.

Have fun, shoot with whatever pleases you and good light! :salute:

pegelli

I don't understand why the way that Sony is handling this is causing Sony hate in some people.....[snip]......I think it is unfortunate that the light leak problem occurred, but I have not lost my love of Sony cams one bit.
Cindy, I think "Love" and "Hate" are too strong words in the discussion, it's only about camera's and brands, so maybe "Like" and "Dislike" would be better.

There's also two sides to this argument. How do you "Like" or "Dislike" a company where customer satisfaction is so bi-modal as with Sony?

Let me say:
I dislike a company where the customer service tells you to stop sending emails because every time you do they reset you to the back of the queue. :facesmack:
I dislike a company where customer service in one country doesn't know about a problem where other countries are already exchanging faulty cameras.:banghead:
I dislike a company that denies some systemic problems with their equipment exists, despite many, many people having the same problem (eg. the CZ 135/1.8 front ring wobble) :thumbdown:

However:
I like a company that recognizes some problems and quickly provides a firmware update to address them :thumbup:
I like a company that produced the first consumer grade but very sturdy FF DSLR that can still produce very good images today, 7 years after introduction :cool:
I like a company that produces innovative and flexible cameras like the A7 series and RX1 series, and quickly replaces/repairs them when systemic issues arise :salute:

I agree the light leak issue might be overblown since under normal circumstances it's a non-issue and the camera produces stellar results despite the problem. Most people who had an earlier model didn't complain when delivery was halted and scratched their head what was wrong with their camera. Only after it became known what the issue was the s**t hit the fan. I think on a whole Sony has responded quite well to the issue and offer a good exchange deal, but the dislikes (the ones I mention as well as other ones that float the internet) will be driving away customers, so they would do well trying to avoid those in the future.

Just my $ 0.02

Last edited:

stephengilbert

"Love" and "hate" may be too strong, but this is the internet, and unfortunately that's how people talk here. It's part of the tempest in a teapot gestalt.