The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I was just trying to put it into perspective. I love my family and don't hate anyone. I do have a great like to my Sony cameras (and Leicas). I don't dislike any camera company.
I can understand the disappointment when the camera has to be returned. I've been through it.
These things happen. My car cost 10x what the camera costs and the manufacturer has been in business for about 100 years, yet there was still a recall to replace my lift-gate mounts. These things happen and I judge the company more on how they take responsibility.

Jim DE

pegilli, I think from what I have experienced and observed that the root cause to many of the dislikes are due to Sony electing to put their customer service and in some countries the warranty repairs in the hands of the lowest bidding third party services. Communications within a international manufacturing corporation has always been a weak link inherently across the board, no matter what the product. Add to that trying to waterfall down corporate notices to include a multitude of 3rd party services would have to be nightmarish in accomplishing in a relatively short time frame. In fact nearly impossible!

We do not know just how many RX1rII's were sold in Europe or in the service hub region that say Vivek mentioned which was Belgium. It could be like a unicorn there I don't know. He may of bought in another market that had them faster and registered it with his local Sony Warranty agency. I know a fair number of English photogs buy from retailer in Hong Kong to get one of the first's rather than wait........ I just don't know the specifics of Vivek's purchase but I would bet the root cause to his dissatisfaction with them has to do with disseminating essential product recall information down to his customer service agency at the speed which it traveled across the WWW. I feel Vivek's pain and frustration but the customer service rep he dealt with would of had to have his nose attached to his Sony bulletin's emails 24/7 to pick this info up at the speed which modern corporations waterfall down information like this within the company none the less to 3rd party services.

Whether Vivek or others stay with or cut and run away from Sony is their decisions and their's to make. I have no skin in the game either way and surely don't work for Sony but I can say from a past manufacturers viewpoint they have done all they could do to correct the build issue that was discovered and try to make it good with their customer's. When was the last time you saw a auto company offer to take back your vehicle and give you a new one when they find a major quality or safety issue? At first they try to hide it and are in denial then when pressured they will finally offer a recall repair at best where the customer ends up frustrated and lacking confidence in their new shiny toy's. Sony in this case could not of done anything more than what they did other than of avoided the defect in the first place which I assure you would of made them far more happier than their customers.

I truly feel the exec who sold the board on outsourcing customer service and warranty repair should be shown the door and Sony should bring these services back in house. Service after the sale means far more to me than the product's innovative features and is what brings people back to buy more products later..... I got around the 3rd party route by going the Sony Pro Service route and it is well worth the $100 per year to me to go this route.

Anyway my big problem right now is this blizzard that is whooping on us here in the Mid-Atlantic region........

Last edited:

Pradeep

Anyway my big problem right now is this blizzard that is whooping on us here in the Mid-Atlantic region........
Amen to that. Waiting for it to clear before I have to head to work today.

Back on topic: I called Sony last night (the number on the link above) and had a very pleasant experience with the rep, took my details, promised to send me a replacement camera within '7 to 10 business days'. Fedex is sending me a shipping label via email.

All in all, exactly what I expect from a top consumer company. I've never had to deal with Sony before so this first experience is positive enough for me to happy. Sorry that Vivek's experience was the opposite, but I suppose it happens, depending on how much volume a company deals with in a given geographic area. Not an excuse of course, in an ideal world it should be the same worldwide.

pegelli

Cindy, Jim, Pradeep, I don't disagree with anything you have said above. From what I read here Sony are behaving responsibly in large parts of the world and in the end that's what counts and keeps customers happy. However I'm glad I'm not in the same boat as Vivek (I didn't buy an RX1Rii) since then you don't care what's happening in the rest of the world, you want the part you live in to follow suit with good service.
In the end my personal bi-modal satisfaction is still weighed towards satisfied, but whenever they would send a version of the "back of the line" e-mail to me I'm sure a manager or supervisor will get an earfull :cussing:.

Lucille

You go Cindy girl, you hepkitty.

I LOVE shooting with my Rx1, and could care less whom here feels that is a strong word, they are not me and I am not them.

To me it is more then just a tool. A car to some Is simply a tool, to the hepkitty it is a 617hp Camaro and a 571hp twin turbo GTO, and I love those girls.

I played classical guitar as a child for a period of time, and could have used any guitar because it is a simple tool, no, I used a handmade Pimentel Grand Concert, because I loved it.

I could go on and on with examples, again we are all different, for me, If I bond and love something, the magic happens.

Now that I have sat out the initial offering of the Rx1r II, waiting for the dust to settle and issues to be found, I shall get in, and I will love it to death, and NOBODY on this forum or anywhere will ever take that away from me,

the Sony RX1 IMO is a cult classic and did I ever bond with it, it became a extension of my hand and mind, and when I first realized this even when the Rx1 was brand new, I have been waiting for it's upgrade. This camera is so good I wanted a 2nd body....in case the 1st broke. Now I get that with upgrades, and I LOVE IT.

The HepKitty

V

Vivek

Sony.nl from Belgium "advices" me to send in my camera for a free repair at their repair center based on the link (that Bart posted here) provided by me.

My advice to myself is to stay the heck away from sony for any future products.

Life is too short to be wasting wth an electronic entity.

Jim DE

Pegelli, I too sympathize with Vivek and I too would be one hot individual if I had to read one Sony solution on the web and have my CS rep tell me something different. As a company selling to the world market their service and policies should be uniformly identical no matter which market they are doing business in. This is difficult enough to accomplish with all Sony employees and as we see near impossible when they outsource CS and Warranty to the lowest bidders.

Personally, if I really liked the camera I would take the replacement and keep enjoying it. Sending it in for a rework and having to deal with shipping , waiting and being there to sign for the unit when it returns would be inconvient and I would feel like I was not getting what all other customers in other markets were getting. This would leave a bad taste in my mouth and I doubt if I would let them do the rework instead of a replacement and would escalate this issue up the chain of command as far as I could. I would not go further up with the customer service company but go right to the European Sony Electronics division management..(. I have done this here in the USA and went right to the top exec of the electronics division and my issue was resolved the next day..., it's the squeaky wheel approach ;-) )

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I LOVE shooting with my Rx1, and could care less whom here feels that is a strong word, they are not me and I am not them.

To me it is more then just a tool. A car to some Is simply a tool, to the hepkitty it is a 617hp Camaro and a 571hp twin turbo GTO, and I love those girls.

I played classical guitar as a child for a period of time, and could have used any guitar because it is a simple tool, no, I used a handmade Pimentel Grand Concert, because I loved it.

I could go on and on with examples, again we are all different, for me, If I bond and love something, the magic happens.

Now that I have sat out the initial offering of the Rx1r II, waiting for the dust to settle and issues to be found, I shall get in, and I will love it to death, and NOBODY on this forum or anywhere will ever take that away from me,

the Sony RX1 IMO is a cult classic and did I ever bond with it, it became a extension of my hand and mind, and when I first realized this even when the Rx1 was brand new, I have been waiting for it's upgrade. This camera is so good I wanted a 2nd body....in case the 1st broke. Now I get that with upgrades, and I LOVE IT.

The HepKitty
Thank you, Lucille. (No one has ever called me a hepkitty before.) I wish that you lived near me so that we could shoot the Rockabilly together

Sony.nl from Belgium "advices" me to send in my camera for a free repair at their repair center based on the link (that Bart posted here) provided by me.

My advice to myself is to stay the heck away from sony for any future products.

Life is too short to be wasting wth an electronic entity.
Vivek,
I too, have gone to the top at Sony with an early large screen TV problem. I got a response right away from his assistant and help with my problem. I agree that you should go that route. I would not let them repair it while others are getting replacements.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

The HepKitty[/

Best post ever. You go girl

V

Vivek

Cindy, i would not send my unit for inspection/repair to them after this kind of response. In fact, i am unsure if the repair facility here is capable of handling the new rx1r ii. There could also be other issues as well (other than light leak).

If anyone has any contacts (sony.eu or sony head quaters) please let me know whom to contact.

Though not a small amount, i can absorb the loss of €3.499, cut my losses and avoid sony in the future.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, i would not send my unit for inspection/repair to them after this kind of response. In fact, i am unsure if the repair facility here is capable of handling the new rx1r ii. There could also be other issues as well (other than light leak).

If anyone has any contacts (sony.eu or sony head quaters) please let me know whom to contact.

Though not a small amount, i can absorb the loss of €3.499, cut my losses and avoid sony in the future.
Vivek, It has been several years since I had a problem, but I went on the web and looked up the CEO and sent a letter (via snail mail) to the CEO at the corporate address. I got a reply back from his personal assistant right away. Make sure that you send them complete contact info, including your phone number.
I'd send a copy of the letter to your contact at Sony.nl.

1. Kazuo Hirai
    Executive

Kazuo "Kaz" Hirai is the President and CEO of Sony Corporation. He also serves as a member of the board of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony. Wikipedia

Jim DE

Vivek, If Sony nl is like here the CS rep you talked to isn't even a Sony employee and may even be working as a CS rep for several companies at the same time only knowing the difference in customers by the contact number they call in on.

Research your Sony division over there and look for the VP or director of that divisions electronics division. Send that individual a courteous short not describing the issue and ask that person for help resolving it. You will most likely get contacted right after their next daily staff meeting by the person that has been assigned to resolve the issue.

It's just the way these corporations work. Third party services don't have much too lose. Corporate Exec's want happy customers and have much at stake in the game so they get issues assigned and resolved instantly. The Exec's tend to believe all their employees want happy customers too but the further from the top one goes the less this seems to be important. That is why you try the first contact first then jump up the chain of command till you find the level where customer satisfaction is important to them.

doctorfab

Mine is affected too. :scry:
To check it simply use Manual mode, 30 sec, f2, ISO 25600, and EVF up.
Then shine your iPhone flashlight around the EVF.
You will notice (or not) a yellowish halo bottom left corner of the picture.
sadly I noticed it, pretty big..

V

Vivek

Research your Sony division over there and look for the VP or director of that divisions electronics division.
I know when to trip the shutter on time in an anticipatory manner on the street.

I did not sign up to these kind of tasks with the purchase of a camera. :(

I very much appreciate the help and support here: Cindy, K-H, Jim and Joe. :) :thumbs:

V

Vivek

Mine is affected too. :scry:
To check it simply use Manual mode, 30 sec, f2, ISO 25600, and EVF up.
Then shine your iPhone flashlight around the EVF.
You will notice (or not) a yellowish halo bottom left corner of the picture.
sadly I noticed it, pretty big..
Fab, Hope you did not buy it without warranty against my suggestion! I hope whomever you bought it from will respond to you better.

doctorfab

Yes luckily it is with the warranty!
The seller is being very helpful, and will assist me through the process.
It's a very weak light leak, unnoticeable under normal use, but it's bugging me and will replace/repair.
It becomes very evident when you shine a light close to the EVF, from 25600 ISO up, and 30 sec exposure.
Thanks for your advice, very helpful indeed!!

V

Vivek

I put an advert in the FS section but deleted it as there is a possibility to return for full refund based on the Dutch consumer rights regarding defective products (sale can be voided). I am getting in touch with my legal insurance for advice.

I have also informed the Sony EU president (via linkedn that K-H psoted here) of my displeasure with my dealings with sony.nl

iiiNelson

I put an advert in the FS section but deleted it as there is a possibility to return for full refund based on the Dutch consumer rights regarding defective products (sale can be voided). I am getting in touch with my legal insurance for advice.

I have also informed the Sony EU president (via linkedn that K-H psoted here) of my displeasure with my dealings with sony.nl
I hope the issue gets resolved for you no matter which way you decide to go.

k-hawinkler

Great going Vivek!
Raising the visibility of this issue, as you are doing here on the forum as well, should get the attention of the proper folks at Sony.
It's in Sony's best interest to resolve the issue to your satisfaction ASAP.
Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Have been there (with another company), done it, got the T-shirt. :grin: