The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

V

Vivek

Thanks, Tre and K-H.

If sony.nl had responded differently to me than they did, this would have gone in a different way. When the whole world knows about the issue and they feign total ignorance, it leads to total loss of trust.

Quite unfortunate.

doctorfab

I am in contact with Sony, to see if a product replacement would be possible, as I feel that a repair would not be the best fix.

Will keep you posted!

V

Vivek

There is some movement. Can not divulge any details. If there is a resolution I will make that public. I really hope that it will be over and done with soon.

Sincere thanks to K-H! :) :salute:

V

Vivek

Within minutes of responding to the email from the top person in the Netherlands, and having appraised him of the issue, here is the solution.

=> He has set up a swap program for RX1R mk II ( Netherlands) immediately.

I hope it will lead to the "support" becoming more customer friendly as well.

Again, K-H, you are the man! :clap:

Last edited:

Jim DE

Glad this has worked out for you Vivek!

As you can see customer service departments should always be one's first step but today with Sony (and unfortunately many other worldwide manufacturers) they seem to all be adopting third party service solutions which means these CS reps are not Sony employee's (may not be even in the same hemisphere as the home corporate base) and thusly have little skin in the game. (these service companies may use the same people to represent several different companies at the same time and only trigger the difference by the contact number used). On the other hand most if not all upper level corporate management are "all in" with the company and customer satisfaction is paramount. They assume everybody under them feel the same way but it seems the further down the food chain the less customer satisfaction means and the more hourly wage does. Add a third party service company to the flow and ..... well you experienced this level of lack of ownership to customer concerns and a corporate information disconnect!

Your results once you contacted the Executive Level of Sony Management was a certainty....... they want their customers satisfied and will assign the issue at a staff level to someone who will get it resolved immediately. Upper level management did not get there by being stupid or lacking dedication to their products or customers. They are problem solvers.......... Sadly, I feel some bean counter has made a critical error in recommending to outsource the one area where customers have direct contact with the company at a time of need (customer service and warranty repair) The end result to this is predictable... they are saving a dime and costing them dollars in customer satisfaction and repeat sales. I think Sony will take some bumps and lose some customers but will eventually bring these services back to in house operations with Sony employee's. (the Exec's will get tired of getting E Mail from customers complaining about bad service and will resolve this issue and hire a new bean counter ;) ). You can rest assured the CS 3rd party service and their warranty repair service is having some serious cage rattling today.... you can take that to the bank as is the Sony manager and his team who are in charge of of overseeing this third party service. There will be some wondering if they have enough arse left to be able to sit down today ;)

Once again Vivek I am happy for you and hope you will regain your confidence in this new camera......

V

Vivek

Thank you Mr. Tamagawa and Mr. Frijters! :)

What you said in the last sentence- that is the key, Jim! :)

Thanks!

V

Vivek

I hope this much tribulations will not be there in the future. Life is short. ;)

All credit to K-H! :)

k-hawinkler

Congratulations Vivek for a job superbly done!
Your efforts will benefit all those affected in your neck of the woods.
Thank you and I am looking forward to more of your pictures with that excellent tool in your capable hands! :thumbs:

Pradeep

Great Job Vivek. Way to go.

On a curious note. Anybody sent their cameras back yet. I spoke with the service rep and he told me to pack everything in the original box and then pack that in another box and send it that way. I then got an email from Sony a few days later saying not to send my original box as it would be 'recycled and not returned to me'. I wonder if that is just lost in translation or if they expected me to take everything out of the original box, put it in ziplocs and then send it?

Anyway by then I had already sent my camera and everything that came with it as the rep had advised me.

dandrewk

Great Job Vivek. Way to go.

On a curious note. Anybody sent their cameras back yet. I spoke with the service rep and he told me to pack everything in the original box and then pack that in another box and send it that way. I then got an email from Sony a few days later saying not to send my original box as it would be 'recycled and not returned to me'. I wonder if that is just lost in translation or if they expected me to take everything out of the original box, put it in ziplocs and then send it?

Anyway by then I had already sent my camera and everything that came with it as the rep had advised me.
Same here, I sent mine in last week.

After reading the email from Sony, I called them. They assured me I will be getting a brand new camera, complete with a new retail box and all accessories. We shall see.

I suspect the email was a victim to somebody blindly copy/pasting text from a template.

algrove

Has anyone had B&H contact them directly? I am surprised they have not been proactive on this issue since a $3200 camera is not small peanuts. That is a disappointment since not every end user reads Alpharumors or getDPI.

Jim DE

Algrove, I would not expect a retailer to contact a customer about a issue between the customer and a manufacturer concerning their warranted product. That is between them not the retailer and the buyer. Manufacturers warrant their products not the retailers.

Now, I would expect a retailer to no longer sell the defective units and return their unsold product to the manufacturer and ask for good units to replace these.

I often wonder if B&H, Adorama, Amazon's liberal return policies don't actually cause more problems and ultimately drive up retail prices. Someone has to absorb the loss on a returned item from a buyer who just wanted to try a new product and had no intention to keep it when they placed their order and returns a 29 day old used product without or with defects or damage. Think about it. They can't sell it as new and just how many used new model cameras does one see offered for sale? You can bet someone is buying expecting a new item and getting a refurbished returned product that someone just wanted to try. If I was a retailer I know I would not have this sort of return policy nor would I do internet sales. But that is just how I see this. Internet retailer have the world as a store front but are victims of fraud like you can't imagine causing big money losses that end up being shared by all in the end suggested retail price.

dandrewk

Here's a thought. Yes, I do get them occasionally. :) :

The offer from Sony is good through 3.31.18. That's over two years from now. Keep your "defective" Sony (doubtful you'll ever suffer from the light leak) until then, call and get the replacement.

By that time, the RX1rIII will be out, complete with touch screen, GPS, etc. When you get your replacement RX1rII, don't open the box. Sell it as brand new and get the latest version. Or, keep it and enjoy your brand new camera, having replaced your "old" one that had 100k shutter clicks.

Risk - Sony may repair, not replace, the units at that late date. Even so, you'll have a camera that's certified light leak free.

It seems win/win. Only thing is....

I already sent mine in. :facesmack:

V

Vivek

Perish that thought.

Some are not taking this seriously. :thumbdown:

Pradeep

I often wonder if B&H, Adorama, Amazon's liberal return policies don't actually cause more problems and ultimately drive up retail prices. Someone has to absorb the loss on a returned item from a buyer who just wanted to try a new product and had no intention to keep it when they placed their order and returns a 29 day old used product without or with defects or damage. Think about it. They can't sell it as new and just how many used new model cameras does one see offered for sale? You can bet someone is buying expecting a new item and getting a refurbished returned product that someone just wanted to try. If I was a retailer I know I would not have this sort of return policy nor would I do internet sales. But that is just how I see this. Internet retailer have the world as a store front but are victims of fraud like you can't imagine causing big money losses that end up being shared by all in the end suggested retail price.

Jim, twice now I've had items that I bought brand new from B&H delivered with missing vital parts. Had to go through the whole process of RMA etc. It is just the cost of doing business for most such retailers, and they have already figured it in their calculations. Funny, have not had this happen with Amazon ever, but it's probably only a matter of time.

And yes, sadly there are people who use this ability to return merchandise to use a brand new item on a holiday, a bit like people buying a suit for a party and then returning it the next day.

baudolino

Got a phone call from my dealer yesterday, saying that my camera is in the affected range and would I please come to the shop any day I choose and pick up a new replacement camera that is waiting there for me...and would be nice if I could bring the packaging also, but no big deal if I don't have it anymore.... Have to say that I like the way they've handled the issue. And I hope my replacement camera is at least as good as the first one :)

Brian Mosley

Here's a thought. Yes, I do get them occasionally. :) :

The offer from Sony is good through 3.31.18. That's over two years from now. Keep your "defective" Sony (doubtful you'll ever suffer from the light leak) until then, call and get the replacement.

By that time, the RX1rIII will be out, complete with touch screen, GPS, etc. When you get your replacement RX1rII, don't open the box. Sell it as brand new and get the latest version. Or, keep it and enjoy your brand new camera, having replaced your "old" one that had 100k shutter clicks.

Risk - Sony may repair, not replace, the units at that late date. Even so, you'll have a camera that's certified light leak free.

It seems win/win. Only thing is....

I already sent mine in. :facesmack:
Is this the sort of customer Sony deserves? It's a long road to 'good will', but I wish Sony's leadership success in turning things around.

Vivek, congratulations in reaching the right people to get a good response :thumbs: - I hope they will make lasting improvements to their support chain.

Kind regards

Brian